IM INA HOSPITAL

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:26 am
Damn, late yesterday afternoon I got an attack of what has been called "atrial fibrillation" My sinus rhythm was all-at-once whacked up and, of course, I got panicky which made it worse. Im now in the hospital for observation and I believe Ill be discharged today with follow-up out patient care

Theyve been doing all sorts of blood enzymes and echo cardiograms and other testing .
The prevailing hypothesis is that my potassium level was severely depleted as a cumulative effect of all my last weeks hiking around a closing mine property in very hot weather. .
Its a scary feeling with an erratic jheartbeat. Scarier when it lasts.
The doctores seemed less concerned about the At Fib than the possibilities that I could get a stroke. SO they gave me blood thinners (Rat poison) and a nitro patch.

Apparently my blood pressure was not so controlled at the time of the attack.

One thing Ive realized is that I need to smell the flowers more, I have too many things in which I impose my own deadlines. Im gonna be making some changes especially dealing with whats really vital.

WHy, they were going to do a second echo cardiogram with some kind of dye to look more closely at my heart valves. However, it was time for the SOPRANOS., so they are gonna be doing that test in an hour from now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 38 • Views: 38,819 • Replies: 549

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:30 am
Oh no.

My mother has had atrial fib for, I dunno, about 10 or 15 years. Controlled with medication, I forget what. I think for her the worry was heart attack, not stroke.

Good to see that they're doing all necessary testing and taking all precautions. Feel better soon.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:37 am
Ill try. Its really boring in here, lotta sick people.
Apparently At fib is relatively benign but its collateral effects can be dangerous.
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:38 am
Oy, farmerman. Sorry to hear that you're having problems. I had a potassium deficiency. Not a good thing. It sounds like you're being well looked after. Interested that you're gonna do more flower smelling. Something frightening like this can give a person a whole new perspective.

Be well, kid.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:38 am
You banana.

We are going to lecture you severely about your incessant scheduling, but first:

Joe((((((((Big Hug to the Big Lug))))))))Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:50 am
Dear farmerman. I know all about your condition, honey. You will be fine, but in the meantime, please accept another hug from Letty.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:54 am
farmerman,

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Glad to hear you are in good hands!

How's the food?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:59 am
fm,

sorry to hear.
sounds like they'll getcha fixed up in a jiffy.

in the meantime, stay strong...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:14 am
sorry to hear it... be welland get home for the Sopranos. I hear someone's getting whacked.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:22 am
farmerman- My aunt had atrial fib for a good part of her adult life, and lived until her mid eighties.

Sometimes a scare like you had is a wonderful "wake up call", that helps you put your priorities in order. Relax and enjoy life.

Hope that you are out of the hospital, and feeling great soon!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:26 am
Damn it, farmerman, get well and stay that way. I would also hug, but I wasn't brought up to hug people. A clap on the shoulder will have to do.
Dutchy

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:32 am
Hi farmerman

Phoenix32890 said it all "Sometimes a scare like you had is a wonderful "wake up call", that helps you put your priorities in order. Relax and enjoy life."

Been there and done that, took that advice 12 years ago and I'm still kicking. All the very best and take care.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:48 am
As long as the fibrillation in confined to the atria, all is relatively well. Fortunately, there is little correlation between atrial fib and ventricular fib, because the latter is a real bummer that can ruin your whole day. The dye can be interesting. When they put the catheter into my heart, I somehow stayed awake to experience that warmth of the dye as it's released. By the way, I was on my way home thirty hours later, so don't think you get to vegetate and get all that coddling nursing care forever. Take care of yourself!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:22 am
Oh No!

(Squishes farmerman to breast)

(Backs off a step -- punches arm)

Hurry home.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:25 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Damn it, farmerman, get well and stay that way. I would also hug, but I wasn't brought up to hug people. A clap on the shoulder will have to do.

Damn it, Edgar, stop stealing my posts!

What Edgar said, F-man.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:32 am
Farmerman--

Man proposes--God disposes.

Or at least: Man proposes, body disposes.

I admire a man that can hear and obey a wake-up call.

I hope your vibrating atria won't interfere with you making the A2K Gathering? I've been looking forward to meeting you.

Ah, well. If not this year, next year.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:50 am
Take care of yourself. PLEASE.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:51 am
Oh, shoot! Sorry to hear you're out of commission, farmerman. Feel better soon!
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
farmerman, hope you're feeling better soon. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:59 am
Oh for pete's SAKE!!!

I do hope you're feeling better very quickly indeed.

And smell the goddam flowers, ok?
0 Replies