Should the Day After Pill be allowed as a over the counter drug?

Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:23 pm
Quote:
Morning-After Pill Won't Be Available Without Prescription To Younger Girls
In a statement today, FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg said she was convinced that the product, called Plan B One Step, is safe and effective at preventing pregnancy after unprotected intercourse for women of all ages. Currently the product is available without a prescription only to those age 17 and over. As long ago as 2003, two FDA advisory panels recommended the product be made available over the counter without age restrictions.

Hamburg, however, was overruled by her boss, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. As a result, the drug makers' application to remove the age restriction has been denied, and girls under age 17 will still need a prescription.

Is this still legislating morality? I'll bite my tongue and hold back my kneejerk reaction until I read some more reasonable responses.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/12/07/143276770/morning-after-pill-wont-be-available-without-prescription-to-younger-girls

Mame

Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:34 pm
Of course - it should be available to anyone. We don't want unwanted pregnancies, do we? You can buy condoms, so why not this pill?
ossobuco

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 01:35 am
@Mame,
I think it should be available.

I've recently read that results can be painful - and don't know any details about that. Thus, I think it should be available by discussion with the pharmacist.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 01:42 am
@tsarstepan,
I fail to see what age has to do with it. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has made the claim that the pill may have adverse effects on younger females which it would not have on older ones. But I suspect that the fear is that certain parents might get up in arms over the notion that their darling virginal daughters can walk into any drugstore and get this stuff without their (the parents') knowledge.
tsarstepan

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 05:15 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Closeted Puritans of America strike again Sir Andrew.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Dec, 2011 04:56 pm
Just to be on the safe side I give my daughter one every day. I tell her it's vitamins.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:40 pm
Quote:
The administration's political calculation here is understandable. I've definitely seen in the past week how the very idea of teenage girls being sexual is still treated as an affront to Daddy's authority, and it causes many people to become so angry and upset that basic reason and evidence cannot penetrate their brain. No matter how many times you point out that the sex has already happened when a girl is buying a pill (and that denying it to her won't reverse time and re-virginize her to Daddy's exact specifications), or that we were all fooling around as teenagers and it worked out just fine, or that mandatory pregnancy is an excessive punishment even if you think that sex for young women is wrong, the result is the same. It's like shooting oil balls at a tub of water: The facts skim the surface, but they can't penetrate the thick layer of "Daddy said no sex, girls must obey without question, and no punishment is too excessive for disobeying Daddy."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2011/12/14/the_furor_over_the_plan_b_denial_makes_the_administration_look_worse_by_the_minute_.html

It is not about daddy, it is about a desire by both mommy and daddy and the rest of society to deprive teenagers of basic human rights, to demand that they remain children under our thumbs for as long as possible. We have the whole point of child rearing ass backwards, as it should be to help them to be smart and responsible for themselves as soon as possible, but we try to keep them dependent and controlled by others for as long as possible.

By all means though let's blame men...because that is how we roll in modern America when ever anything is wrong. the wimmins never have anything to do with the problem. *sarcasm*
ossobuco

Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:59 pm
I'll back up on what I said, as pharmacists and pharmacy techs vary. I'll be unequivocal that the pill is available - not sure re on the shelves, re the variability of pharmacists - to me it's a matter of overview of pharmacies or shelf, and I'm slightly more for shelf, given prevailing views in some parts of the u.s., likely including pharmacy owners.

I've a couple of pals who eventually got phDs in pharmacy who are quite sane - no idea what each of them think now (how to put that into my christmas /holiday message?).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 15 Dec, 2011 02:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is not about daddy, it is about a desire by both mommy and daddy and the rest of society to deprive teenagers of basic human rights, to demand that they remain children under our thumbs for as long as possible.

It's about protecting children from predatory paedophiles like you.
hawkeye10

Thu 15 Dec, 2011 02:39 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

I have heard that assertion before, but no one has had the guts to connect the dots, to show how teens being free to get Plan B pills promotes paedophiles. Would you care to make a stab at it? I can say that the moon is made of cream cheese but that does not make my assertion worth listening to, I need an argument. Where is yours?
izzythepush

Thu 15 Dec, 2011 04:31 am
@hawkeye10,
You're very stupid. I don't have a problem with teens getting the morning after pill over the counter. I have a problem with you saying that you're sticking up for teenager's rights, when you're just concerned with changing the law so you can legally abuse them.
0 Replies

gumbee

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 04:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Government should put abortion clinics in every high school in America, population control. The world is turning into idiocracy. U should have to be tested with a IQ higher then 125 to have children. A pill the next morning is better then a the alternative. I have had 3 abortions and I couldn't be happier about them. I wish they had the pill then. Thank you
izzythepush

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 04:51 am
@gumbee,
There's a big hoo ha in Southampton at the moment, teenage girls have been able to get hormonal implants inserted in their arms without their parents knowledge. The UK has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe. The religious types are up in arms about this encouraging promiscuity. They're already promiscuous, and they believe myths about not getting pregnant if it's your first time, standing up, or on your period etc. etc.
Mame

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
I've read about that and I understand the parents' anger. These implants were implanted without the parents' knowledge or consent and the children were all minors. How dare they decide to implant the girls with no consultation or approval from their parents? They should have had a permission slip. I would have been furious.
izzythepush

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:25 am
@Mame,
A lot of these girls are sexually active anyway, and would not speak to a health worker if they thought word would get back to their parents. Nobody is forcing these girls to get implants fitted.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:35 am
Quote:
Should the Day After Pill be allowed as a over the counter drug?

Simple answer: Yes. This works towards getting this evil abortion issue out of American politics, which is wonderful in my view.
rosborne979

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:43 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Simple answer: Yes. This works towards getting this evil abortion issue out of American politics, which is wonderful in my view.
I agree it should be over the counter. But I don't think anything is going to get the abortion issue out of American politics.
gungasnake

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:43 pm
@rosborne979,
Having planB in vending machines for $5 throughout the land would make a hell of a start. For that matter you can buy the stuff from India:

http://www.supersavermeds.com/otc/plan-b/

for around $20 a pill now. Supersavermeds.com has withstood a severe test of time and is totally legit to the best of my knowledge. I use them as a source for antibiotics which I keep around on general principles, mainly in case the lunatics ever nuke the region with anthrax or some such.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
@izzythepush,
Quote:

That's why I refer to him as Izzythepoop...

0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:48 pm
The side effects of PlanB are not totally pleasant. Nobody other than a masochist would be buying this stuff on a regular basis.....
0 Replies