Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:39 am
The date--September 17--was determined in June. I've had this hovering over my head since that time. I've been in a funk of epic proportions.

This is NOT major surgery. Repair of a hiatal hernia is considered minor.

I'm not afraid. I'm just dreading the ordeal.

I have an appointment this Wednesday to meet with the anesthesiologist and someone else (not sure who). I must also pay on Wed.

Just thought I'd let people here know. During the past few months I've become very withdrawn (the aforementioned funk). For days on end, a2k has provided my only human contact. I'm grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 141 • Views: 712,175 • Replies: 8,770

happycat

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:41 am
I hope it all goes well, Roberta. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:44 am
I offer my support and good wishes. Even minor surgery is to me major.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:02 am
Aw you've just had more than enough already, Roberta. I completely understand your reaction to the prospect of more surgery, however "minor" it's deemed to be. You just want to get on with your life & put all this behind you. Hang in there!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:43 am
Thanks, happycat. Very Happy

Thanks, Edgar. I'm inclined to agree with you to an extent. I had major surgery two years ago. This is minor. However, they're gonna cut me open, do some fiddling around, and sew me up. In this respect, there's not much difference. I assume that the recovery will be faster.

msolga, You betcha. I want to put this behind me. Too long a wait. Too much time for thinking and stewing. I'm an excellent stewer. I'm hanging, kid.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:47 am
Im sorry you are going to have to go through this.

I dont care if a doctor considers it minor or not, you will be open on a table in an unnatural way. That would bother anyone.

( big hug )
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:49 am
Roberta,

waiting it out for 2 months is not fun -- gives you all sorts of time to think about it, worry about it, and dread its eventuality.

i'm glad that you will be able to get it out of the way soon...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:49 am
Oy! Damn.....

Can they do keyhole?

Pay? I do hope that is ok.

You? You'll be fine...

But the only good surgery is no surgery.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:02 am
shewolf, Thanks for the hug. I can use one. I probably wouldn't be talking about being cut open as minor except that this is what they keep telling me. And everything is relative.

Reg, No gladder than I.

bunny, No keyhole. I asked. I can kinda sorta handle the money. (This is why I was hysterical about the delayed check--on another thread. Can't remember which one.) Had to delay the pre-op meeting because of that. Money has and will continue to be a major worry. The stress is killing me. I'm more concerned about my having asthma and how I'll react to the anesthetic than I am to the surgery, survivalwise. Enough already. But , yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks for the giganto hug.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:06 am
Hmmm, let's see, Roberta ...

September the 17th.

I think we're going to have to provide a few little diversions for you! Very Happy

<thinking, thinking >
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:09 am
Good luck, Roberta. I know you'll come through with flying colors.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:36 am
Under the knife.

Again.

And the strain of being naked with strangers and polite and up beat with strangers and patient with strangers.

And being cut. Again.

And the healing and the itching and not being able to take a bath/shower properly....

And the strain of being recovering with friends and upbeat with friends and patient with friends who are full of misplaced cheer.

You've had hugs. Let me help you howl.

Awhooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
JPB

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:39 am
Roberta wrote:
The stress is killing me. I'm more concerned about my having asthma and how I'll react to the anesthetic than I am to the surgery

That's why you're meeting with the anesthesiologist beforehand. Most folks who have complications to anesthesia have either never had it (and therefore don't know they are allergic) or are critically injured and can't communicate past history.

I'm sorry you're stressed, Roberta. It's perfectly normal to be stressed and the longer you have to think about it the more time you have for the stress to build. This could well be one of those situations where the anticipation is worse than the actual event. Surgery is never a piece of cake, but we sometimes don't do ourselves any favors by giving in to the anxiety of dreaded anticipation.

What do you like to do for distraction? Maybe we can help keep you busy...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
It will work out fine, Roberta. And let the other's have stress - make your stay in the hopsital a kind of .. vacancy.

All the very best!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:04 am
Roberta, I'm sure you know that old saying: "The only minor surgery is somebody else's!"

You'll be in my thoughts every day until you give us the all-clear.

((((((((((Roberta))))))))))
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:44 am
Roberta I had an ignial hernia (groin) done 2 years ago. They did a vasectomy at the same time. Hope that doesn't happen for you. On the whole it was a breeze and they didn't charge for the vas.

Hiatus is a bit more serious I guess but stats say 60% of the population will have one by age 60.

Take it easy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:54 am
Crud. It just never ends, does it?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:59 am
Roberta, I know what your're going through. My wife just went through MAJOR surgery on an abdominal hernia.

This was from just below her breasts to below her belly button. She tolerates pain well, but even she had a tough time, this time (it was her 3rd repair).

I hope yours goes well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:10 am
Oy, Roberta! Hope the asthma doesn't act up and you breeze through. I'll be sending you positive vibes on the 17th; in the meantime, let's think of other things - no stewing allowed!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:16 am
Roberta
Roberta, you think anticipation is worse than the event? Imagine the stress these doctors are under having to make such monumental decisions.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jza0023l.jpg