We maybe moving soon

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 06:20 pm
We have decided to purchase another home. One larger then we have now. Morgan has his eye on a bank own Mortuary. Well it’s been a Mortuary for 20 years now but originally it was just a large home. It’s a two story on three lots and can be use for residential or business. He put an offer in on it today. I can see the potential for the place being a nice house but the thought of it being a mortuary kind of creeps me out
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 45,635 • Replies: 675

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 06:32 pm
@MMarciano,
I hate to say I told you so but he's a nut! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 06:48 pm
@MMarciano,
Be sure you get an excellent home inspector, maybe two of them for a second opinion.

The current occupants probably don't notice much about any problems it may have.

Has it been vacant for a long time?

How did they dispose of the things (I'll be kind and not list them for you, Marco) related to their business?

Get it checked for lead and asbestos since it is an older construction.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 06:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
He’s having it inspected Thursday. It’s been vacant for two years now. The bank just listed it. Morgan has had his eye on it for a while now. It’s completely vacant and was renovated about five years ago. I believe the original owners spent too much money on the renovation and got behind on the mortgage. It’s a corner lot, three lots and the building is 3600 square foot.

If the bank doesn’t accept his offer he has his eye on a double vacant lot in a nice area, he thinks he can get the lot for a steal and have a new home built on it.

When he has his mind made up on something there is no changing it!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 07:02 pm
@MMarciano,
Is it the one on 5th St? If so, that building is gorgeous.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 07:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
I know which one your talking about but thats not it, he would have loved to have that one but as far as we know its not bank owned, but this one he's looking at is pretty close to the one on fifth.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 07:36 pm
@MMarciano,
I guess inspectors are almost a necessity, but the one's I have seen in action are not too impressive. Every one of them can be pretty much counted on to find lint in some dryer vent, which could be a fire hazzard. They are also good at dropping balls on the floor. Ping pong to see if it's level - like "Oh my, aren't they cleaver", and a golf ball on tile floors to see if the mastic is secure.

Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but if you want to find out what they don't catch, ask ossobuco.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 07:54 pm
@roger,
Yeah.
0 Replies

TommyAndJeff

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 08:02 pm
I'd never be caught dead living in a Mortuary! Shocked Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 08:10 pm
If you lived in an older city, chances are someone at sometime died within the walls. It's a building, don't worry about it. Just make it a home. Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 08:15 pm
@Ceili,
So, how's the drainage there?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 10:39 pm
@MMarciano,
This will give you an idea of some of the things you'll want to talk with the inspector about. If you need me to be a lot more specific, I can do so. Confused

http://www.ehow.com/list_6186773_requirements-open-funeral-home.html

Quote:
Requirements to Open a Funeral Home

Building Codes

Funeral homes are required by the federal government to have certain amenities throughout. First, the preparation room or embalming room must be in a basement area, secluded from the remaining portion of the funeral home. The room is required to have proper ventilation with at least two vents on an outside wall as well as drains in the floor with plumbing separate from the main pipes. All funeral homes must be handicap-accessible as well. A casket and burial vault display room is required to be on the main level of the funeral home, most commonly attached to a room used to meet with arranging families. Any form of a kitchen or dining area is strictly prohibited on the main and lower floors of a funeral home where a deceased body may exist. Each funeral home must also have a windowless concrete room with a flame-resistant door and flame-resistant files. This is so that if a funeral home were to ever burn down, all the records and files would be preserved. Records and files must be kept for a minimum of seven years within a funeral home.

Funeral homes need a variety of pigmenting and preserving chemicals, powders and cremes to preserve the body. Adequate protection such as eye goggles, disposable aprons and shoe covers are also required. Chemicals used to treat conditions such as jaundice, gangrene and skin slip should also be available.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 04:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Jackass Smile
0 Replies

Adam4Adam

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 05:42 am
@hawkeye10,
It people like this idiot that keeps posters from coming back to the forum.

There's a large lot on 49th between 1st and 5th that's been for sale for over a year now.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 06:17 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
We have decided to purchase another home.
One larger then we have now. Morgan has his eye on a bank own Mortuary.
Well it’s been a Mortuary for 20 years now but originally it was just a large home.
It’s a two story on three lots and can be use for residential or business.
He put an offer in on it today. I can see the potential for the place being a nice house
but the thought of it being a mortuary kind of creeps me out
Maybe u need to tell Morgan how u feel about it.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 08:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Perhaps you should try minding your own damn business and stick with stalking 12 year olds on the internet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 10:01 am
@MMarciano,
Make sure an environmental/chemical inspection is completed.
0 Replies

Wildhourses

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:30 pm
@MMarciano,
There’s another lot that’s been for sale for almost two years, residential neighborhood and it’s an entire block. About 5 years ago they tore down an old mansion on the property, although the new zoning laws I doubt they would allow you to build just one house on such a large piece of land in ST. Pete.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:57 pm
@MMarciano,
How will your move affect tortoise-care ?

David
0 Replies