Dagmaraka goes Dutch

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:10 am
That's right. Den Haag. Or the Hague. That will be my new home from the end of August. I'll be working for a European association for history education and educators. Went to Bristol for their conference, got offered a job, and accepted. Bam.
On my way back, my suitcase was stolen, taxi to the airport was more expensive than the flight ticket, missed my flight anyway, had to get a new ticket.... but i'm in one piece and freed of many material posessions. Need not worry about accessorizing my jewelry with my clothes each morning, as best of both are now gone. It's ok though, I could have been shot or something.
I'm still on the way back, sitting at the airport in Rome, one looong journey full of surprises this was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 31,202 • Replies: 403

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:43 am
Wow!!!!!!

Well done!!!!!!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:50 am
I believe you're not a material girl but I'm sorry for your losses, though..

And glad you'll be back in Europe,
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:34 am
Dag--

Theft: It isn't the fripperies....it is the damnable inconvenience.

Job: Congratulations. Our loss is The Netherlands gain.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:38 am
Let's hope, lots of good will come out of all these inconveniences!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:41 am
Congratulations dagmaraka, you'll love "Den Haag" the seat of the Dutch Government but somewhat anomalously, not the official capital of Holland. Need any interpreting done the Cosmic Eagle is your man. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:16 am
Oh wow!

Congratulations!

Is this a best-of-both-worlds thing? Stay in your field doing good stuff, but much closer to your family?

(Sucks about the suitcase though, argh.)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:22 am
dasha, congrats!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:38 am
Great stuff Dagaliciouse

I know a young aussie girl who would make a great PA.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:57 am
Well, congratulations!

Who knew Connecticut was such a rough place, though?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:06 am
Ack! Congrats on the job, but geez, what a horrible trip! I hope the rest of the journey is uneventful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:51 am
Happy for you, Daggy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:57 am
I congratulate you Dag, although I was hoping from your thread title that you and Nimh had fallen in love. Oh well, another of my dreams dies a horrible death.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
Re: Dagmaraka goes Dutch
dagmaraka wrote:
That's right. Den Haag. Or the Hague. That will be my new home from the end of August.

Congratulations! I hope the shortening of your stay in Boston doesn't put too much pressure on you dissertation-wise. All the best!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:01 am
Congratulations!
What will you be doing for them?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:23 am
Oooh, that's brilliant - other than the luggage hideosity.

Den Haag. They surely knew an opportunity when they met you - fabulous!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:56 pm
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:46 pm
Thanks all.

I forgot to mention - the job starts at the end of August (which is when I was planning to leave anyways), will be combined with my current job somehow (bosses will negotiate), but far away - so perhaps it is the best of both worlds. my parents don't think so. My dad is especially disappointed I won't be (finally, he would add) pursuing an academic career and at home. I think he's feeling his age. I will try to be at home at least one long weekend a month. Oh well, we'll see how goes it.

the mean theft occured between Reading and London Paddington - in the UK. It was a Brit (I presume) who took off with it. I even have a hunch who. This pimpled kid who I thought was feeling for my coat pocket when he sat behind me. THen he left, came back, left...was staring me down strangely. I kept an eye on him but finally he left completely...or so I thought. He would have known where I'm going to - it was on my ticket which was stuck on my seat. The luggage disappeared when everybody stood up to leave the train. It was there and then...poof. Within seconds. I saw nothing. The police officers were very nice though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:07 pm
Gefeliciteerd en de beste voor U, dagmaranka!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
the job starts at the end of August (which is when I was planning to leave anyways), will be combined with my current job somehow

Shocked
0 Replies