We maybe moving soon

jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I wanted to ask your advise about something.

Now Marco didn’t want me to give out too much information on the house because people would find out where we live, so not too many photo’s. There is a small one bedroom guest house in the back, they call it a mother in laws quarter.

The house is on a very large lot. The main house is to the left of the garage. Behind the garage is an alley. They have wasted a large part of the lot with pavers, you could park 4 cars and an RV if you wanted to. I was thinking of fencing off part of that area and have the pavers removed. It’s such a large area that isn’t of any use to us. I’m just not sure what to do with it yet. Think I should talk to an architect?

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/richone4/11_zps102299bd.jpg
jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 02:54 pm
@jcboy,
They didn’t plan out this house very well, there’s also a jacuzzi on the side of the house, not even connected to the pool. My agent said the pool, jacuzzi and guest house was built later, not very well planned out IMO. A lot of wasted space.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/richone4/picture-uhddf69e14b9898ac49c4aa2ad7768565b-psfd6e7e10a732a5f3f197634c1352c3c1_zps893d0852.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/richone4/2_zps9399f7d8.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:04 pm
@jcboy,
No - talk to a landscape architect. We have similar backgrounds with different emphasis, two different fields of architecture. We had a killer review course for the national boards re grading, and a large part of the attendees were architects studying up. Site design is our modus operandi.
Anyway, I agree with you on the need.

I don't know the Florida firms, will nose around.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:16 pm
@ossobuco,
My hands itch to play with this, but no! bad girl! Get someone moderately local and good. Land archs vary as much as building architects - don't just pick a gay friend of a friend (I mean that nicely).

I'll be off to look up firms and their work. This will distract me from a2k fantasy football.

Oh, wait - you can play with it too. I'm a hands on person who likes to draw and believes in drawing, scribbling. Get a grid pad, 4 x 4 ok, large better. This may involve going to a real arch/art supply store. Get a roll of trace, a thin tracing paper you can make a zillion drawings on, tossing the rejects to the floor. Put the measured buildings and spaces on the grid paper. Then go at it, playing on the tracing paper. Show Antonio how to do it too.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:26 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
I’m just not sure what to do with it yet. Think I should talk to an architect?

You don't have to think of anything to do with it yet, slow down. Laughing

Isn't a large paved area a good place for Antonio to ride a bike around, or bounce a ball around, like in a game of mini-basketball, with some friends, at least for the time being?

Settle into your new home first, there's plenty of time to talk to an architect-- hopefully you'll be in that home a long, long, time. The longer you're there, the clearer you'll know what you want, and, need, in terms of your outdoor space.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:42 pm
Marco should have him commited to a nut house until he's better. Antonio will be in college by the time he's released.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:42 pm
@firefly,
That's true re living in the space.

I've told a story before - I first wanted to have a lap pool go into our small house. This is from the excitement of taking design classes.

Live with it.

Meantime, do some reading, and don't just order demolition from the first few things you read.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.swagroup.com/about-us/services?gclid=CKmr8YHYzLICFWXhQgodWhsA0A

I once worked for a firm that was subsumed into this firm. I was your basic gopher, filer, coffee maker, photographer, fast graphic person. I was in design school, had just turned forty, so that was interesting.

If they are in Florida, one to pay attention to. But they are whoppo high end.
Avoid. They are good, but big leagues.

Still looking, now local to you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
The basic house has a self.

This is what a lot of architects and others missed.

We ended up changing our california bungalow not very much. Some big part of that was shoring up the foundation. We changed circulation, dealing with doors.

Later, others bought it. One photo from google just about kills me.
It was a beach cottage when we bought it.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:24 pm
I love their new home, its gorgous. A lot of the larger homes had the guest house built as a rental for extra income. I’ve seen the size of the lot, it does need some planning, I, not being in that field have no advice but a lot can be done with all the extra property.

And that is not uncommon here in Florida, people paved, or laid gravel because of all the upkeep involved in taking care of the landscaping on such a large lot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 05:05 pm
I'm working up some links, and that may take me a while.

I have not met with clients so avid to solve something immediately as jcboy is.. Obviously I enjoy jcboy's stakes and takes - but his judgement is fucked. (Hi, jcboy)

I will take my time to come up with useful selections.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 05:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I heard he use to be on medication then the doctor took him off it. I'd get a second opinion.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 05:34 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
I think it's called design tharn.

Love to both adults and child.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
That firm is not right for your situation - but the person who answers the phone may have people they will suggest.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I’ve always said he was a bit of a loon! There is a lot we can do but it doesn’t have to be done anytime soon. He’s just so impatient. When he sees something that needs done he can’t help himself but to try to make it better.

I’ll call his doctor in the morning.
Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:05 pm
@MMarciano,
I was like him.

Any chance you can get him to take classes?
MMarciano

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
That’s a possibility, but probably not until next year, he’s actually too busy to do anything, he has Smart Ride in November and has already started his fund raising for it, plus it will take him a month to prepare for the ride.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not going to have anything done with this house until I hear back from Osso Cool
ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:54 pm
@jcboy,
<laughing>
but wait, I forgot to look up people in Florida..
bad girl. I'll do it in the morning - nag me if I forget.
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh I will, some of us queens can be real nagging bitches lol Smile