I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:23 pm
Friday, my paso fino mare arrived. Today, she is in labor. I am a nervous wreck. She is up and down and up and down. I can see her having contractions but my trainer said as long as she is laying down to stay away from her and let nature take its course.

I am still pretty new to a lot of stuff about horses and this is a first for me. I am so excited I can barely stand it. I go from nearly bursting from excitement to thoughts of what if the neglect she suffered has affected her or the foal?

She seems to be fine and Hank, our gelding, is right out there by her side. He is sticking to her like glue. It's really sweet to see him be concerned for her. Johnny came home from lunch and brought me batteries for my camera because wouldn't you know it, the ones I had were dead.

He is going to bring home some iodine to put on the spot where the umbilical cord was attached, because that is a spot that can get infected.

I know I am rambling but I'm nervous, excited, and a bit scared.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 47,566 • Replies: 766

Sglass

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
It is an exciting time. I lived on a horse farm in NJ inthe 60's and was in on a couple of birthings. One colt had to have ropes to get him out. Thank goodness for vets.

Have a cup of tea Arella Mae and relax.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:40 pm
i don't know nothin 'bout birthin' no horses

but horses have been doing it for thousands of years
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:51 pm
I have the vet's number handy to call at the first sign of distress. The lady that rescued the horse originally is on her way out to check Little Miss Joy out. Pam is a very experienced horseperson so she will be able to clue me in on the birthing process. I am clueless! This mare does have a two year old colt so I know she has done this before.

I don't know how women do this! Geesh, I'm a wreck because my horse is going to have a baby. I can't imagine having a child having a baby!

I really appreciate you guys talking with me!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:56 pm
Like djjd, I know nuttin' about birthin' horses. I can ride 'em but that's it. But if you need people to talk to, Arella Mae, there's a whole passel of us here.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 02:35 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i don't know nothin 'bout birthin' no horses

but horses have been doing it for thousands of years

you put a knife under their bed to cut the pain.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 03:12 pm
Okay, what is with this horse? All morning she's up and then she's down and then she's up and then she's down. Now? She is out there grazing! Doesn't she know she's having a baby for pete's sake? I went out to check on her since she was up. I could see the baby moving! I'm gonna need a valium before this is over. LOL
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:12 pm
@Arella Mae,
nobody say anything about oxytocin? You have her under a vets eyes?
We give oxytocin to cattle and sheep (we dont have no horses but we used to stable some and they gave birth all the time.)
I predict that, if you have a thunderstorm this PM, she will blow that baby out like a cork.

Was the stud much bigger than the mare? That can lead to birthing problems without some help. Your work will, no doubt come tonight.

Good Luk with her and the bambina
DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
That horse needs to quit foaling around.

Mared!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
I've had a couple of foals and even more calves that I've had to pull with ropes and a tractor. they were all up and nursing within one minute. Lambs, on the other hand, I've had to make a pail of soap-sudsy water and pull with my hands.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:25 pm
@dyslexia,
my wife pulls lambs , her hands are small and shes good at unravelling and turning around ass first births.

We have a "cow puller" with a little rathcety reel thing. It braces against the mamas butt and you tie the legs to these felt covered leather rings, and you slowly ratchet the calf's legs. It pulls thye calf out slowly and uniformly (unless you have to go in and straiten everything out for delivery). Buckets n buckets of Ivory soapy water and iodine soap.
It can be a long night cant it?

Our lambs were always being dumoed in bad snowstorms or pouring rains. The calves were always born (usually) in T storms.

Some memories hey??
Wouldnt change it for a bazillion bucks, even with the loss of sleep and the hangovers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:51 pm
@Arella Mae,
Hi Arella Mae - you're going to have a grandfoal!

Pretty dang exciting news. I think you're very lucky to be around for this.

Keep the news coming, and ignore the old farmboys sittin' around chewin' straw and tellin' stories. Well, don't ignore them, just keep nodding at them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:56 pm
Hanging around on a hay bale. I brought travel Yahtzee.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 05:32 pm
i would LOVE to see photos.

Oh wonderful. Im excited for you. What a cool thing to see Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:30 pm
Okay, nothing yet. She is out there grazing like nothing is happening. The vet is on standby. I talked to Todd, relative of hubby's that deals with horses. He said this really isn't that unusual and I'll probably wake up tomorrow with a baby and maybe not. Geesh!

I don't know anything about the daddy except that he's a Tennessee Walker. I do know lots of people breed their Passies to the Walkers so I think it'll be okay. When she was out grazing earlier I went out there and saw the baby moving. I can see that the baby has moved further back than it was yesterday.

I will definitely post pics when this youngun arrives. Lord have mercy on me and please don't let me have to pull a baby! Yikes!
Confused
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:53 pm
@Arella Mae,
Pulling a baby would be a... dare i say it.. a blessed thing to see. Smile

I am totally in love with the idea that you get to see this and i wish that I was closer. I would run over in a heart beat and help.

You will do fine.
Mom will do fine.

And if not, that is why there are Vets Smile

Deep breath. Maybe some hot tea?
Can you take photos that show the baby in her belly? Is it folded up so that you can see sharp bumps of legs? Head?
How cool!! Im excited for you. I really am !
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:17 pm
@Arella Mae,
Just popping in to see if the baby horse is popping out.

Maybe you can have a A2K name the foal contest. Smile

Hope everything is going well.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Name the colt WESTERN BREAKFAST, it has an A2K inside meaning.

or maybe not.

Gimme a toke there dys. Dont be hoggin that doobie.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
What do you Americans eat for breakfast besides Canadian bacon? Razz
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
Any word from grAMma?
0 Replies