I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep. Give me a few to get it on there.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 08:33 pm
I was lucky enough to catch JJ rolling over today on video. She is too precious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD_d9mOiWfo
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
That is great, thank you!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 09:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
JJ was definitely worth waiting for! What a cutie.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 09:53 pm
@Tai Chi,
Thank you! I think she is adorable. But, I have to admit, finding out she was a mule and not a Paso Fino/Tennessee Walker was a real shock. It is a funny shock though.

I never would have guessed and Pam, the lady I bought Joy from was really in shock. Pam, my trainer and I went riding this afternoon and I think we laughed the whole time about Miss Joy's baby being a mule. Too funny!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I was lucky enough to catch JJ rolling over today on video. She is too precious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD_d9mOiWfo

U have a very FRISKY BABY, Arella Mae, for being not even one day old!

How does Mother Horse feel about u approaching her baby ?

David
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:37 pm
Congratulations, Arella Mae! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JJ!!!

I think "JJ" is a great name for a mule! How lucky you are! Mules are very special animals, as others here have said. You're going to have so much fun!!!

Thank you so much for letting us share all the excitement!
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:58 pm
@Eva,
Now that youve got a "Jenny" on your hands, I asked my Amish neighbor why he has only Jack mules in his team. "They are easier to geld" sez he.
Elam (the sone of my AMish neighbor and a new farmer himself) stated that all mules gotta be gelded so they dont get aggressive. He says that "jenny's" or "hinny's" (dads a horse and moms a donkey) are less agressive than jacks (male mule or hinny), but not completely. They may be sterile but they get :frisky" and this can translate into aggressive behavior.
Elam said that when they breed a mule or a hinny (I think hinny may just be a Pa German word ), they always sell the ones they breed because if they are there with the parent and grow up ungelded, they get really aggressive (kinda like Amish teenagers in "rumspringeh").

I think Id conasult asomeone with mulish expwereience and get their opinion about what you may be in for. We have a stock auction in Vintage (a small town near us), and they often sell young mules at auction and the AMish always seem to be "trading" the ones they breed for ones that someone else has bred . They can be really big (think about a percheron or a belgian mule. THEY ARE MONSTERS .

So, gelding is probably a good idea and maybe think about selling her to someone who is a mule fan or is AMish. (You have horse auctions in your area no?)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 12:01 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Congratulations, Arella Mae! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JJ!!!

I think "JJ" is a great name for a mule! How lucky you are!
Mules are very special animals, as others here have said.
You're going to have so much fun!!!

Thank you so much for letting us share all the excitement!
I understand that George Washington was very interested in mules
and became an expert in producing them and raising them at Mt. Vernon.

David
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:07 am
Time to figure out who the baby daddy is: http://able2know.org/topic/142766-1
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
I am laughing too hard to repeat the post I made here:

http://able2know.org/topic/142766-1#post-3932461
Eva

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:21 pm
Oh boy Laughing
We're back to square one on names, aren't we?!

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@Eva,
Well, I think we can stick with Joy's Jewel to be known as JJ. Actually, I think Jewel kind of took on a whole new meaning! Embarrassed

I am laughing so hard! I haven't been able to get my trainer on the phone yet. This is just toooooooooooooooooo funny!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
Okay, since there has been no post from Farmerman on the latest on JJ, I am assuming he is still laughing too hard to post. Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:40 pm
Congrats on Joy's jewels. He's a lovely wee scamp.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Laughing Oh my goodness. The excitement just never stops.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:14 pm
@sozobe,
Sozobe I know! I have laughed so hard all day about the whole situation. Me freaking MONTHS ago about this horse, then she has a mule, then we don't know the danged difference between male and female! It's just too funny. I really expect him to sprout wings and fly next.

But I got one wonderful night's sleep last night!
sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yay for a good night's sleep!

I took my daughter through the whole saga just now, her jaw kept dropping further. She thinks JJ's adorable, no matter his provenance or gender. Laughing
squinney

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:02 pm
Joy was covered by a DONKEY?????

Now there's a twist! LOL!

He's cute as can be. Love the wobbly legs when they are first up and about. Don't usually see little ones rolling like that so early. He musta had an itch or was trying to clean himself up a bit when he saw you had the camera.

Congratulations!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:04 pm
@sozobe,
Oh that is so funny! He really is an adorable little guy. He won't get more than ten feet from momma right now. I just wanna hug him!