The Real Bully In My Pasture

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 11:43 am
As many of you know, I recently bought a beautiful gentle Arabian gelding for my husband as a gift. Of course, I knew Mac, my thoroughbred gelding, being the herd head honcho, was going to give Buck a hard time for a few days but would eventually welcome him into the family. JJ loves Buck. Well, JJ loves everyone! Little Miss Joy seems to like Buck just fine. JJ plays with Buck and I think Joy is enjoying the break from having to follow JJ everywhere.

Saturday, my husband called me at work and said Buck was really hurt. He said he looks like he's been run through the fence. I had not seen Mac even as much as chase Buck for two days so I was very shocked. I came home and sure enough, Buck was torn up. Chest, side, legs, scratches everywhere! I called my vet but he was out of town and I don't like the vet that was on call so I called my trainer. Dave brought what was needed to get Buck on the road to recovery. Glad Dave came because I have never given a horse a shot. I have cats but not a horse and I know penicillin will kill a horse if it gets in the veins. Well, after some hydrotherapy, medicating, and iodine Buck started to feel a bit better. Don't worry, he's doing just fine and all his wounds will heal without scarring.

Then yesterday I went out to do Buck's hydrotherapy and lo and behold, Mac has a long cut on his shoulder! Thank God Mac's, just like Buck's cuts, are all superficial and won't even scar. I was very upset because now I had no idea who hurt Mac! Obviously it wasn't Buck and it looked like Mac wasn't hurting Buck.

Come to find out Lulu, yes, Little Lulu, is in season and believe me, she isn't the sweet little paso fino filly I know. Right now, she would be the equivalent of me with extreme PMS. So needless to say, she has been separated from the boys. Lulu being in season also explains why JJ has been displaying his manhood so proudly so constantly lately too. This is Lulu's first "season" as far as I know. She is not handling it well.

My question is this: How in the world do I get Buck and Mac over the fact that this little filly stomped both their butts?
Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,558 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 11:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I have cats but not a horse and I know penicillin will kill a horse if it gets in the veins.

'Tis a bad idea to give penicillin as a "just in case" ointment. Horses, all animals have had these cuts, scratches and gaping wounds from being kicked happen to them since forever.

Abusing important drugs will sometime leave us without the drugs when we really need them.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 11:30 am
@JTT,
This was not a just in case ointment. My trainer knows what he is doing when it comes to horses. Although Buck's cuts were superficial there were a lot of them and they were plenty dirty by the time we got to him. I would never ever give medicines to my horses without an expert's advice on it first.
JTT

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 11:40 am
@Arella Mae,
A trainer isn't a medical professional. "dirty" does not mean infectious. It was nothing but a "just in case" ointment because the trainer had no way of knowing whether there was infection or not. He gave penicillin "just in case".
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:43 pm
@JTT,
Well, I'm not going to argue about it. Buck is doing much better. The swelling is all gone and he is healing quite nicely.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:22 pm
What a night this has been. I went out to check on the horses and there was Buck, dragging the leg he had hurt before! I was afraid he had broken it. I got him out of the pasture because the other horses were charging him. I guess he pulled the muscle a bit or something. He was going to Dave's anyway so he'd be there for Johnny to take lessons on him so I called Dave and told him what was going on. He said to bring Buck over now and he'd separate him from everyone. Buck loaded right up. He could teach Mac a thing or two. His leg seemed almost fine by the time we left. Dave is going to keep a close eye on his leg and do what needs to be done. Johnny feels a lot less stressed since Buck is safely away from Mac.

Mac is jealous of Buck and very overprotective of JJ. I think that is the problem.
0 Replies