I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:10 pm
Nothing going on except a lot of her trying to get comfortable when that foal moves. I think if she doesn't have the foal soon she's going to explode. She is really moody and Mac is moody right along with her. I was going to take him on a trail ride but he refused to get in the trailer. He will not leave Miss Joy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:02 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Nothing going on except a lot of her trying to get comfortable when that foal moves. I think if she doesn't have the foal soon she's going to explode. She is really moody and Mac is moody right along with her. I was going to take him on a trail ride but he refused to get in the trailer. He will not leave Miss Joy.
Thank u for keeping us up-to-date. We wanna see a baby horsie!

David
jespah

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 06:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
... We wanna see a baby horsie!...

Ditto from here!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:00 am
@Arella Mae,
ASo she dosnt look like shes in any distress? There comes a time when you must consider a dose of Oxytocin. I just wish we had a better idea about the actual date she was mated. This should be a lesson about buying a "pre-bred" livestock . It gets in the way of your normal farm schedule.
We bought a beef once that was pre bred and it gave us similar fits when we were just learning about the breed as total rookies. Id suggest, as time gets closer to install a baby monitor in the stall so you can monitor her in case she has any troubles in the days leading up to delivery.

How close do you think we are now?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:06 am
Full moon is one week away.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:41 am
@Arella Mae,
Maybe your new veterinarian
can be of further predictive assistance in another visit ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:57 am
@JPB,
I love that, you have any experience in a dairy outfit? That seems to be the way they count deliveries from conception to first full moon after the computed delivery dates.

Either that or the first really low pressure cells and T storms.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:07 pm
Miss Joy is not in any stress, believe me. She is acting like nothing is supposed to happen. Mac is steadily sticking by her side. There is no waxing, no bag filling, no real noticeable movement to the hind quarters. Every morning I go out there and say "Where's that baby!" She just looks at me. Rolling Eyes

I have decided to call Dr. Odom and ask him to come and check her again. I am sure he will laugh at me but that is fine. He said she would deliver in February and it's close to the end of the month.

I have seen her once or twice do the funny looking thing with her tail and raise that back leg like she's stretching to get comfy but that is it.

I will call Dr. Odom tomorrow and if I remember correctly, he normally does his farm calls Wednesday afternoon so maybe I can get some info out of him about whether she is gonna drop that foal or just keep her legs crossed and never give birth.

And I promise to never buy a horse again that is already pregnant. My nerves can't take it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:49 pm
@Arella Mae,
That 's a good idea, to get that vet back again, Arella Mae!

David
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:54 am
I am waiting on Dr. Odom. He is going to stop by our place first this morning and check on Little Miss Joy. I will let y'all know what he says as soon as I have the info.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
Dr. Odom just left. He spent a good twenty minutes checking Miss Joy over. He said she could have that baby in two days or two weeks. He said it is quite possible she has been putting the birth off some due to the pain she has been in when the baby has moved. He said she is just fine but right now, she doesn't have anything to feed the baby so watch for her milkbag to fill up. He said one horse he knows of had nothing for milk and then the next day had a foal and a bag full of milk. Her hindquarters are getting relaxed and she had that big dip in her back and Dr. Odom said that dip is a lot more prevalent than when he first came out.

So, looks like we are just down to counting the days. He told me to go out and walk Miss Joy around when I see her in that uncomfortable position and it should help her.
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:16 am
@Arella Mae,
good. SOunds like its coming along on schedule.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thanks for the update; I appreciate it.
Please give Miss Joy something tasty to eat, for me.

R u expecting a male or a female ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I will give her an apple wafer from you. She loves them. Honestly, I kind of want a boy but I also know they can cause problems within a herd of horses when they start feeling manly. So, I am going to stick to the "I don't care if it is a boy or girl, as long as it is healthy."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:12 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I will give her an apple wafer from you. She loves them.
Honestly, I kind of want a boy but I also know they can cause
problems within a herd of horses when they start feeling manly.
So, I am going to stick to the "I don't care if it is a boy or girl,
as long as it is healthy."
Thank u, Arella Mae. I 'm sure that the chances are very good
that he or she will be very healthy; "as healthy as a horse" as thay say.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
we kept some Apaloosas that were part of a native American reenactor bunch of guys who marched in parades and made appearances. They kept the horsies separate and we alway had the males smashing into fences at full run . Theyd eat the damn boards on some pof the 4 board fences and they were just like a bunch of surly rotten kids.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
@farmerman,
I seem to really only hear bad things about "boy" horses. LOL Maybe it would be best if she had a girl. I'll be happy either way IF SHE EVER HAS IT! I have stopped asking her in the morning "Where is that baby?" and have now gone to "You are just fat!" It doesn't seem to phase her a bit.
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@Arella Mae,
Perhaps you should tell her you're going to shop for a plus-size halter for her. You know, appeal to her sense of vanity. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:40 am
Though I sincerely hesitate to report any changes in Miss Joy's condition, since I do have the vet's assurance she really is pregnant and not fat, her teats have definitely changed. They are now very swollen looking and her milkbag is definitely filling up. Her teats looked kind of shriveled before but now they are hanging further down and are definitely swollen. So, at the risk of jumping the gun AGAIN, I'd say really soon!

LOL Maybe me telling her she was just fat did it?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@JPB,
One week ago JPB wrote:

Full moon is one week away.

Tomorrow it is!