World's Smallest Horse

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:16 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/26/worlds-smallest-horse-mee_n_552462.html

This is just tooooooooooooooo adorable!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,966 • Replies: 5
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:09 pm
Cute ...
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:46 am
@KiwiChic,
Its head is too big. I dislike these dwarfed animals, its unnatural. In nature theyd be extinct in a flash.
We have some people that raise miniature horses for petting zoos and they work with specific stock from shetlands and other strains.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman,

How exactly do they dwarf an animal? I had always thought it was something that just happened but I get the impression from your posts it is something else.

There is another horse, her name is Thumbelina. She currently is the world's smallest matured horse. She is a dwarf and it is very obvious. She stands 17.5 inches. So if Einstein grows any larger than that, he won't be the world's smallest horse. Probably just the world's smallest foal.

http://www.worldssmallesthorse.com/
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
Artificial selection was the means Ive always been told. Selective cross breeding with small types and keep breeding them. Sorta like how they do it for dog breeds.

What are dwarf horses good for besides some weird fascination with these kinda creepy animals.

At least mules are a useful being. Ive known the miniature horses that these local people breed for petting zoos. They often get some of the horses that are exceptionally "nippy" and they have the horses euthenized. Id rather not even start with the breeding cause I hate euthenizing animals just for some vanity .
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
I'm with you farmerman!

And kiwi! Girl, so good to see ya!
0 Replies