I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:50 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Oh that is so funny!
He really is an adorable little guy.
He won't get more than ten feet from momma right now. I just wanna hug him!

How does Mother Horse feel about u approaching her baby?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh she won't let me get near him. I have to tie her up first. She is such a protective momma. JJ did come over to me while his momma was eating. I fall more in love with him every minute.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:58 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Oh she won't let me get near him. I have to tie her up first. She is such a protective momma.
JJ did come over to me while his momma was eating. I fall more in love with him every minute.
Since he is only a few hours old, I guess he is too young to eat ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:59 pm

What does Mac think about all this?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 11:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
She will start eating solid food on her own. My trainer said in a couple of days but she'll still stay on the milk too.

Mac doesn't know yet. Well, I did tell him she had the baby and that he for sure ain't da baby daddy. The vet thinks Mac will be a marvelous herd protector. He'll be back from the trainer's Saturday so we shall see.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 03:12 am
@Arella Mae,
she should start nibbling grass as her teeth become part of her "equipment". Id always keep an eye so shes not actually nibbling too much. With lambs and cattle, if the young arent getting enough milk, they tend to nibble grass, dirt and anything. That lest us know that they arent getting enough nourishment so we can supplement them with a bottle every half day until the mothers milk is normal (unless hes got a condition like mastitis).

You having to do any close watching or does the mama seem to be able to handle everything? You did say the mama already had a foal before ,I believe.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
she should start nibbling grass as her teeth become part of her "equipment". Id always keep an eye so shes not actually nibbling too much. With lambs and cattle, if the young arent getting enough milk, they tend to nibble grass, dirt and anything. That lest us know that they arent getting enough nourishment so we can supplement them with a bottle every half day until the mothers milk is normal (unless hes got a condition like mastitis).

You having to do any close watching or does the mama seem to be able to handle everything? You did say the mama already had a foal before ,I believe.
Maybe u didn 't get the word:
he 's a male mule.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:13 am
ITS a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how absolutely awesome!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
I am glad to see you! The momma is an excellent momma. She is taking such good care of JJ. She is out there eating now and JJ is kicking up his heels and having a blast. He would jump toward me and stop and jump and stop. LOL He finally got close enough to where I could pet his muzzle and forehead a bit. He's so full of life!

I wanted to ask you is it possible that JJ's "privates" didn't drop down or something on Friday when he was born? They just were not there on Friday. My husband said today no way anyone could have missed knowing JJ is a boy because, well, he's a big boy if ya get my meaning.

I have gone through all the photos I took on Friday and not one of them, nor the video of JJ rolling around gives you any indication he is a he and wasn't a she.

I'm going to post a new picture for all of you in a few. He's all sleak and shiny!
dragonone

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:13 pm
@Intrepid,
It all depends on where you are from. In the south it grits, in the midwest its eggs over easy, hash browns, toast and bacon or ham, if you're on either coast probably fish of some type, out west, whatever you killed last fall while hunting.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:25 pm
dragonone, um, ya lost me on that post.

Here is little JJ and his momma Miss Joy. This isn't a great pic but it's great for what I wanted to show you. Do you see JJ's colors? He is black in big splotches, brown in big splotches, and has some tan/white? LOL It's like he's a painted, gaited mule!

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5092/sundaymarch142009010.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:28 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella, I love every one of these pictures, and your comments. This one especially.

What are the trees in the background?

Baby JJ is a big boy already, already.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:29 pm
No wonder his mom was so wide!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
The trees are in between the pasture and the upper part of the pasture near the house where they are standing. There is a trail down between the trees where they walk down to the big pasture. I'll have to take a pic to show you because this is a new computer and all my pics are on my old one.

We live on 10 acres and about 6 of it is pasture and woods. I have some trails I can ride Mac through in the woods and love that. I had been riding him in the pasture though because he hated to be away from Miss Joy.

You know, at first, I think I might have been just a bit disappointed that JJ was a mule. But, the more I read about mules, especially gaited ones, and the more I go out there and see that adorable little creature, I think I have been blessed by him being a mule.

He was playing out there earlier. Jumping up and down and chasing the cats. His mom was letting him play but if he got too far away she'd raise that head and whinny and he'd come running.

Oh, did you notice the swirl on his forehead? If you look at the first pic of him, he has this really cool swirl of hair. I hope that stays!

I am not sure if she was so wide because of JJ's long legs or JJ's long ears! LOL
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:42 pm
Here is another pic of JJ. This one is kind of one of my favorites. He is just soooooooooooooo adorable I could sit and watch him all day.

Oh! Do y'all remember me talking about my best friend, Joy? Well, she's signing up so she will be posting. She has suffered so much (just like y'all did) with me and this pregnancy.

JJ is just toooooooooooooo cute!

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8598/itsaboy013.jpg Laughing
kayjoy

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
Hi Arella
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:40 pm
@kayjoy,
Hi, welcome to a2k, kayjoy.

We're a feisty bunch here.

Another great photo. I'm still loving that last one.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:40 pm
@kayjoy,
Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone, I want you to meet my best friend, Joy. She is truly the strongest person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Little Miss Joy is namesake, which I guess is evident!

Buddy, I'm so glad you are here. You will really like the people here. They are supportive, kind, and so much fun!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:43 pm
@Arella Mae,
We are supportive but we also argue til the cows come home.
kayjoy

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:51 pm
Hello everyone, am happy to meet you. I can see you have met JJ, he is a cutie pie. I am as excited as my buddy, she has waited so long for him.