What's the deal with this "coronavirus" people are talking about?

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 07:56 am
Hi. I have learned fairly recently about a "coronavirus" from people in a chat site I frequent.

What is this "coronavirus" people are talking about?

Based on what I read the virus is affecting people in Wuhan, China.

Is the coronavirus something Americans should be concerned about?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 27,955 • Replies: 461
Topic Closed

izzythepush

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:02 am
@JGoldman10,
You should be concerned with every outbreak, it's spreading and the fatality rate seems about 2%. If you're vulnerable, a child, elderly or have health problems you're more likely to die.

Most people do recover, and a lot only have mild cold symptoms, but it's a virus and viruses can mutate very quickly which is why people still have flu jabs.

Quote:
As of February 21, 2020 at 14:00 GMT, there have been 27 confirmed cases of patients infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the United States:

•11 former passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.
•9 in California
•2 in Illinois
•1 in Wisconsin
•1 in Arizona
•1 in Washington state
•1 in Massachusetts
•1 in Texas

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/<br />
jespah

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:08 am
So far, we haven't had deaths from it in the US. But that may just be a matter of time. It's also a rather resilient bug, able to live on surfaces for days. Apparently bleach kills it -- but we all know there are parts of your home which you can't just douse in bleach.

It's also affecting business in a lot of city's Chinatowns, and people of Asian extraction (even folks who aren't Chinese) are reporting discrimination and even harassment.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/482448-us-base-workers-involved-in-coronavirus-quarantine-face-harassment-report
https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/coronavirus-panic-racism-chinese-americans-20200206.html
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/31/metro/fears-coronavirus-fuel-anti-chinese-racism/
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:12 am
@izzythepush,
I'm a Christian. I am not concerned about contracting any diseases.
jespah

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:16 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't think the virus cares.

And I do hope your faith isn't incompatible with compassion for the sick and dying.
RABEL222

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:34 am
@jespah,
According to Mr Goldman earth life is just a transistion to the next life so he doesn't worry about death.
izzythepush

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 12:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
I can see where you're coming from.

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

You can't only do half of it, test your faith, put your hands in a nest of vipers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling_in_religion<br />
Ragman

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 02:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

You’re the one that asked the question about it. Why did you even ask if you aren’t worried about it? Ignorance is bliss.
revelette3

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 02:32 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:

I haven't read any of the previous posts. But I don't think I have read anything so ridiculous in my life on these threads for years.

I am a Christian too, but I am so scared of this disease, I am afraid to go very far on vacation this summer. Maybe KY lake up in the woods with a camper and no one around...
Ragman

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 03:39 pm
@revelette3,
That wasn’t my quote.
revelette3

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 03:45 pm
@Ragman,
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem so. I guess I was talking behind that other person back. Should have kept fingers out of it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 05:10 pm
@izzythepush,
No. I am anything but religious. But I don't fear death. I had a discussion with some 70 year Olds about age and they said that a 84 i had a good chance to make it to 100. I told them i would rather not.
0 Replies

mark noble

Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes.
You should be CONCERNED!
If it's propagandarised - You SHOULD be concerned.

Breakdown - "CORONAVIRUS" is the base for colds and influenza - It is no different from either, unless 'tampered' with.

SERIOUSLY! "ICE AGE FARMER" on Youtube explains it 'PERFECTLY'

I'm not saying ANYTHING Else, online.
All the best, folks!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 22 Feb, 2020 08:53 pm
@RABEL222,
That's not what I was talking about.

The Bible says "no evil shall befall me, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling (Psalm 91:10)."

Psalm 91 says the Lord will keep me from all hurt, harm and danger.

You said you're "afraid" of the virus? God does not give you a spirit of fear.
jespah

Sat 22 Feb, 2020 08:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Are you vaccinated against any disease of any sort? Just curious.
JGoldman10

Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:42 pm
@jespah,
I recall getting a flu shot from my physician's office a while back.
jespah

Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then you're afraid of some virus or another, yes?
JGoldman10

Sun 23 Feb, 2020 06:34 am
@jespah,
NO.

My doctor recommended me getting a flu shot, made an appointment for me to get one and I thought it was a good idea.
izzythepush

Sun 23 Feb, 2020 07:47 am
@JGoldman10,
If you truly believe your Christianity will protect you from all diseases, why did you think it was a good idea?

Why didn't you tell him all the nonsense you've told us?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 23 Feb, 2020 07:49 am
And more importantly if you're safe from all diseases and claim to be a Christian, then why don't you volunteer to help the sick?

You can tell them you don't need any protective gear so it would save money too.