What's the deal with this "coronavirus" people are talking about?

jespah

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:24 am
@JGoldman10,
It's a situation where people can't socially distance and/or work from home in greater proportions than the overall population
JGoldman10

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:29 am
@jespah,
Are commercial businesses promoting and enforcing social distancing in the workplace? Is it safe to apply for jobs and go out and work regularly in public?
Rebelofnj

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:47 am
@JGoldman10,
There are not many businesses open now. Only essential businesses are open.
All restaurants are now only doing drive-thru and/or takeout. From what I have seen, supermarket employees have starting using gloves and masks, and the stores themselves have limited the number of people in the store.

These are things you should have noticed in the last few weeks, either from the news or from personal experience.
JGoldman10

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:09 am
@Rebelofnj,
The head of my local employment center told me that local supermarkets are hiring now as of the time the posting this because there's such a huge demand for their goods.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:22 am
@Rebelofnj,
You can still order food from pizza places and Chinese restaurants and presumably other restaurants online and/or over the phone.

I don't know about other types of restaurants but local pizza places in my county offer customers the option to have delivery people leave their food outside people's doors when they place their orders online.

Are online restaurant delivery services still active (GrubHub, etc.)?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
I haven't read any newspapers in a long time and my TV isn't working as of the time of posting of this. I haven't really been keeping up with local news and current events.
Rebelofnj

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:32 am
@JGoldman10,
To clarify, you have chosen to be ignorant of current events. You clearly have internet access, if you can post on this site on a regular basis. You can get the news for free. Some news sites can send newsletters and a summary of the day's events to your email.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:40 am
@izzythepush,
In fact, I enlisted, I was not drafted. A typical Izzy performance, to equate draft-resistance to irreverence. Basically, you don't deal well with dissent or contradiction.
edgarblythe

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 07:06 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In fact, I enlisted, I was not drafted. A typical Izzy performance, to equate draft-resistance to irreverence. Basically, you don't deal well with dissent or contradiction.

I served as a volunteer also. It was only after I left the military I shifted my position on Vietnam.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 07:19 am
@Setanta,
Sez you.

Any country that valued irreverence would not compel its citizens to make the pledge of allegiance.

Look at Lockerbie, the relatives of American victims all swallowed the bullshit version of events pushed by the government. Those of British victims demanded the truth which is why they were prominent in the campaign to free the innocent patsy.

There’s way too much evidence that contradicts the official version of events.
Setanta

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
Ah yes, Izzy tends to get hysterical when contradicted, and more and more off topic. Have you got a source for that bullsh*t claim about responses to the Lockerbie incident? (Which, of course, has no relevance to the subject of irreverence.) I suspect that you'll have more and more bullsh*t accusations to make, as your hysteria builds.
izzythepush

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 08:06 am
@Setanta,
You’re one sounding hysterical.
Setanta

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
Check you grammar. That last comment is pretty lame. Didn't have a decent lunch? Running out of steam?
izzythepush

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 08:41 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Check you grammar.

Now we’re conversing in pidgin.
eurocelticyankee

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:02 am

0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:39 am
@izzythepush,
Ironic humor is beyond your comprehension, I see.
Linkat

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:42 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I thought contracting the virus wasn't a racial thing.

A virus cannot be racist, however, there could be traits that certain races have that could cause one to be for susceptible to a particular virus. It doesn't appear that this is the case - it seems more likely that it is some other factor (i.e. environmental, education, nutrition, etc.). But this virus is kind of new so to really understand how and who it impacts more and why - is still under review and probably harder to determine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 09:45 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Are commercial businesses promoting and enforcing social distancing in the workplace? Is it safe to apply for jobs and go out and work regularly in public?

depends on business - my company we are told that very few people can come into the office. However we can work from home.

My husband recruits people and some businesses are looking for lots of people - like those manufacturing some medical equipment - he has been working from home arranging interviews because these businesses need people right now and they have to go into the business due to the nature of the job.

Now at least in Mass. they need to make the work arrangement safe so yes they need to arrange it so it they are socially distant - at least that is what they are supposed to do.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 10:20 am
@Setanta,
The irony of you making a big deal out of a typo on a thread where I’d already admitted to making typos.

I did get that.
Setanta

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
No, I simply pointed out another example of your obsessive "English exceptionalism" narrative when you attempted to claim that only the English do irreverence. Pythagoras was not simply a mathematician, he was (so he thought) a philosopher, and he established communities of his followers so that they would not be defiled by the irreverence of other Greeks. He lived in the late sixth century BCE. Aristotle also complained of the irreverence of Greeks, especially of youth. The ancient Egyptians and Sumerians complained about irreverence.

But Izzy wants to claim it as something exclusively English. Then he starts this **** show of wild accusations and irrelevant topics, because Izzy can't deal with contradiction.

Since this is a useless Goldman thread, I have no problem with clogging it with ridicule of Izzy and his moronic obsession about "English exceptionalism."