T
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 52 • Views: 74,837 • Replies: 1,184

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:49 pm
NBC said it was 'due to an action we took.'

I'm never happy when anyone dies, but I certainly am not sad in this case. Would have rather seen him taken alive tho.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:51 pm
TPM and other sites reporting that the CIA lead a raid and killed him, and NBC is now stating that 'we have his body.'

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:53 pm
Bomb strike was last week. They took time to verify the body.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Now maybe we can finally get all our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I won't be celebrating his death. Way too many people have died in order to achieve it.

Was it worth it?
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:54 pm
Whoa, that rocks.
Justice American style.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If this is true, then I'm wondering why it has taken so very long to capture him.

I'm also wondering (with considerable concern) about what the reaction to this news will be from the more aggressive fundamentalist Muslim leaders.
failures art

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Took the words out of mouth. Please Obama, use this as being "enough" and get us the he'll out of one or both ASAP. This will grant you some political muscle. Use it!

A
R
T
LionTamerX

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:04 pm
@failures art,
Mission finally accomplished. Sort of.
snood

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:04 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

If this is true, then I'm wondering why it has taken so very long to capture him.

I'm also wondering (with considerable concern) about what the reaction to this news will be from the more fundamentalist Muslim leaders.

Took so long because people aiding and protecting Bin Laden were loyal enough not even to be moved by a 25 million dollar reward. Also, the hills of Afghanistan and pakistan are notoriously treacherous to get around in - it wasn't like they could just go in with a raid and take him whenever.
snood

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:07 pm
Yup those are my two thoughts right now. Will there be immediate terrorist retaliation, and how many hundreds of thousands of young American soldiers enlisted just because of what bin Laden set into motion.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:08 pm
@snood,
Yes, I know that many were loyal to him, snood.
Apparently his death (I think, from that brief report? Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong here, please.) was the result of a drone attack ?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:09 pm
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/05/2011522132275789.html

Quote:
US president Barack Obama is due to make a statement shortly in which he is expected to announce the death of Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda.

Obama's address was due at 0300GMT from the White House.

Qais Azimy, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Kabul, said that Afghan officials have confirmed that Bin Laden had died and that his body was with the United States.

Officials would not confirm whether he had been killed in Afghanistan or Pakistan, and said that the death of the al-Qaeda leader was more of a "symbolic victory", as he was no longer directly connected to the group's field operations, Azimy reported.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:09 pm
Now they're saying he was killed in a mansion outside of Islamabad.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:10 pm
@msolga,
I heard it was not a drone attack. He was shot in the head.
snood

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:11 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Yes, I know that many were loyal to him, snood.
Apparently his death (I think, from that brief report? Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong here, please.) was the result of a drone attack ?

The way I'm hearing it, it wasn't an unmanned attack, but the death came as the result of an armed mission with boots on the ground.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

Quote:
Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden 'dead'

Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden is dead, according to US media reports citing officials.

The US is in possession of Bin Laden's body, the reports say. President Barack Obama is due to make a statement shortly.

Mr Bin Laden is top of the US most wanted list.

He is accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.
0 Replies

msolga

@wandeljw,
Ah.
Thank you, wandel.
There was some mention of drone attacks in that report, apparently not the actual cause of his death.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:12 pm
@msolga,
Drones were used to locate Bin Laden.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:14 pm
@msolga,
I honestly think things will get worse now.