Osama Bin Laden is dead

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:29 am
http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=218784

Quote:
Karzai tells Taliban not to fight after bin Laden death
By REUTERS
05/02/2011 10:10

KABUL - Afghan President Hamid Karzai called on the Taliban on Monday to refrain from fighting after the killing of al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and said the Taliban must learn a lesson from his death.

Karzai described the killing of bin Laden by U.S. special forces north of the Pakistani capital Islamabad as "important news".

"The Taliban must learn a lesson from this. The Taliban should refrain from fighting," Karzai told a nationally televised news conference.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article379779.ece

Quote:
With Bin Laden out, expats in Kingdom hope for end to terror killings

By MOHAMMED RASOOLDEEN | ARAB NEWS

Published: May 2, 2011 10:11 Updated: May 2, 2011 10:11

RIYADH: A cross section of expatriates working in Saudi Arabia have expressed their sense of relief over the American mission that killed Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan on Monday. They were unanimous in their condemnation of terrorist activities of any kind, and were hopeful that with the killing of the mastermind there would be some letup in these senseless killings.

Mohammed Ali, Sri Lankan expatriate in the Kingdom said: "We woke up for a good news on Monday morning about the killing of Bin Laden. It has put an end to terror and his nefarious activities carried out by this leader."

Dwight Fullingim, an American working in the capital told Arab News that he has mixed feelings of happiness and sympathy for Bin Laden. "I am glad that he is down and no more terror under his leadership. On the other hand, I feel sorry for this boy who hailed from a good family and religion brought discredit to both his family and religion. It’s a tragedy."

Tariq Soomro, a prominent Pakistani businessman in the Kingdom said that all bad things have come to an end with Bin Laden's death. "He brought shame to our religion. My country suffered a lot from intrusion of foreign soldiers who were after his blood," Soomro said, adding that there will be peace in Pakistan and hoped that the foreign troops who came to kill him would wrap up their tour to Pakistan and people could live peacefully.

"The news of Osama Bin Laden's death came to me early morning today, as a bit of surprise and disbelief," Faiz Al- Najdi, Pakistani engineer in Riyadh said.

“In my personal opinion, Bin Laden was an evil-minded person who, by his ill-advised terrorist acts, brought shame and dishonor to entire Muslims. He tarnished the image of our great religion Islam which teaches peace and coexistence.

"He and his associates, by their terrorist acts, did not serve any purpose except that they provided the golden opportunity to everybody to unjustly target Muslims, Islam and our beloved Prophet Muhammad – PBUH," Al-Najdi said.

"Muslims in general are peace-loving and Islam is a peaceful religion. However, only because of him and his associates, the Muslims of all nationality suffered in many ways, including suspicion, mistrust and even humiliations, in the Western countries especially in the United States. The Muslim students, travelers and even the Muslim nationals suffered in these Western countries because of his actions."

"I hope and pray, with Osama Bin Laden is now gone, the honor, respect and trust of the Muslims, through out the World, would be restored and the Glory of our peaceful religion Islam would also be redeemed, amen!" Al- Najdi added.

A senior diplomat from a foreign mission, who wished to be anonymous, said the killing is a major breakthrough in antiterror activities.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:33 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Osama's six children, two wives held in Pakistan
That, plus the fact that Osama was hiding in a mansion leads me to believe that he has been fully protected by the Pakistani's, but they decided to turn on him. Best guess is that Pakistan knows that they are in deep trouble now that India is on a $50 billion rapid improvement of their military, and so Pakistan needs American military hardware again. Be ready to hear with-in the year that we are selling a large amount, as payment for services rendered.
hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:00 am
@hawkeye10,
There is a possibility that ISI were protecting Bin Laden and the govt was powerless.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Welt is reporting that Osama had had his three wives, 7 sons, 4 associates and guards with him on the compound....he was not living in the caves, that is for sure. There is no way that the Pakistan military did not know that he was there.

http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article13317443/USA-toeten-Osama-Bin-Laden-in-Pakistan.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:04 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

There is a possibility that ISI were protecting Bin Laden and the govt was powerless.
That is a given, it was the ISI that set him up and then turned him in (they were even on the kill mission). What we dont know for sure is why, but my assumption that it was to get military gear is 90% probable.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Another thing that I will be watching for is any indication that China played a role....they have a serious desire to hurt India these days, and have become Pakistan's new best friend...they well may have decided to throw the US a bone and help us get Osama by pressuring the ISI to give him up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:45 am
Now, here is the oddest thing. I received this alert by email:

Quote:
Flag this messageWSJ NEWS ALERT: Osama bin Laden Buried at SeaMonday, May 2, 2011 1:54 AMFrom: This sender is DomainKeys verified"WSJ.com Editors" <[email protected]>Add sender to ContactsTo: [email protected]__________________________________
News Alert
from The Wall Street Journal

Osama bin Laden has been buried at sea, the Associated Press reported, citing a U.S. official.

After Mr. bin Laden was killed in a raid by U.S. forces in Pakistan, senior administration officials said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition. That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours, the official said.

Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult, the official said. So the U.S. decided to bury him at sea.

The official, who spoke Monday on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national security matters, didn't immediately say where the burial occurred.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704569404576298063240517794.html?mod=djemalertNEWS

I followed the link, read the article, and there was not one word about either burial at sea or a need to dispose of the body within 24 hours. What the heck is going on?
Ionus

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:58 am
@roger,
Quote:
Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult,
Translation : No memorial to attract terrorist supporters .

Quote:
a need to dispose of the body within 24 hours.
Jewish and Islamic tradition (coming from a desert mean it is good common sense) aim to bury a body within 24 hours .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:14 am
@hingehead,
Quote:

Billions in foreign aid will do that to you.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:47 am
@Butrflynet,

pretty sure that's a fake photo.
it appears they took the photo on the right and photo-shopped...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:31 am
@failures art,
This looks bad for Morgan Spurlock! He spent a couple of million dollars (if that much) for his documentary, Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden?, looking for Osama in Afghanistan AND Pakistan.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963208/

Shame on him for failing where the US, NATO and its allies has spent billions looking for the missing criminal.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:31 am
I am happy to see we got him but at the same time there will always be someone else to take his place. That is the unfortunate part of dealing with terrorists.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:57 am
damn, there goes my write in vote in todays canadian elections
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:06 am
First of all congratulations on a job well done. It's a pity Bush couldn't have done this years ago. Then again, with close family links between the Bushes and the Bin Ladens going back years, coupled with a convenient bogeyman, which allowed Bush to pass legislation which takes away the rights of the American people I can see why he didn't bother.

Al Qaida is not one organisation though, it's more of a rallying cry for Islamic extremists. And like the hydra of legend when you cut off one head another three grow. There is a strong possibility of revenge attacks, Bin Laden will be viewed as a martyr, and could be even stronger in death than in life. America has shown its military prowess now it needs to show its commitment to peace.

The foreign minister of Egypt Nabil Al Araby has called upon America to recognise an independent Palestinian state. This has followed the reconcilliation of Fatah and Hamas, which has only occured because Egypt is now acting as an honest broker. Under Mubarak Egypt treated Palestine according to American diktat, and had no real interest in peace and reconciliation. Now there is a nascent democracy that is reflecting the real will of its people, not foreign interests.

America, and the EU need to recognise Palestine straight away. Show the Moslem world that the West is truely interested in peace and democracy. Hamas will not accept Israel's right to exist, but this should not be a barrier to talks. The IRA and Sinn Fein are still committed to a United Ireland. this viewpoint is as inflammatory to an orangeman in Ulster as Hamas' viewpoint is to an Israeli. If we had refused to talk to the IRA until they dropped this aspiration then the Good Friday agreement would never have been signed. God knows how many more people would have died. Now those Irish terrorists are marginalised as the vast majority of the population, and politicians both sides of the divide and the border are fully supportive of the peace process.

Hamas are not like Al Qaida, they are motivated primarily by the desire for national self detetrmination. There's a strong vein of pragmatism that runs through their veins. They have called numerous ceasefires in the past, which have all been kept to until broken by Israel. The only precondition to talks, should be a ceasefire. Once the Palestinian people are no longer subject to daily harrassment reconciliation can begin. Give all those angry young men with plenty of time on their hands something to do. Once people have a taste of peace they won't want to go back.

America and the West is in danger of being on the wrong side of the equation, fighting against the forces of democracy and siding with aggressive dictators and brutal occupiers. It's not in our interests to allow Israel to constantly flout international law, and continue with illegal settlements. If America wants to really defeat terrorism it needs to grasp this nettle now. It doesn't matter how many Osama Bin Ladens you kill, until there is justice for Palestine none of us will be safe from the threat of Islamic terrorism.
Eorl

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:07 am
I, for one, don't like to see anyone killed, and I question the right of the US forces to have committed this... act.

As Wayne declared on page one, "that's justice, American style!"

I fear he may be right.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:21 am
@Eorl,
Bin Laden and his organization made war on the United States, and did so before 2001. In war, taking out the enemy leadership is a reasonable tactic. Do you think it was wrong for the United States Army Air Force to act on information from broken Imperial Navy codes and shoot down the plane carrying Admiral Yamamoto in 1943? "Justice American style" is pretty damned snide--we are not the only nation to use such tactics.

The only plausible objection i can think of is that it was done in Pakistan, and i personally would consider such an objection nugatory given that Pakistan hosts terrorists, and given that Pakistan's ISI provided material support and leadership in fighting U.S. forces in Waziristan in 2002 and afterward.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:46 am
@Setanta,
Osama told his wife last night
"You feed the dog, Ill feed the fish"
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:50 am
I salute president Obama. You can't argue with success. The widows, widowers, and children of the Americans bin Laden killed on 9/11 finally have justice.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:52 am
so obama killed osama, what ever happened to muslim brotherhood
Eorl

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:56 am
@Setanta,
I'd like to see him treated like the real person he is (was), dragged into an international court and charged with mass murder.
Instead, it's like Darth Vader on the Deathstar, the Big Baddie blown up in a hail of righteous glory, Hollywood style.
It's just all the cheering in the streets gets my Lord of the Flies nerve a-twitchin'
I know you're ultimately right, Set, you usually are, but I'm reserving my right to be wary of the American enthusiasm for self-protection coupled with the power to define "right" as it wills. Bloody glad they're on our side! (For now, anyway...)