Osama Bin Laden is dead

JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Now that's just the kind of introspection that the people of Afghanistan and Iraq appreciate from Americans, Hawk. Keep up the good work, even if it is terribly, horribly, pathetically self centered. Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:29 pm
Hot damn, this is better than America topping the medal list in the Olympics!

I think that this should be made into a "the day we got ObL" national holiday. Y'all can all dress up as navy seals and dragoon a bunch of hapless brown skinned people of arab descent to play ObL in cities and towns across the US.

Repeated "boom booms" could punctuate the day and the left side of the character's face could be blown away time and again to the delight of kids and adults everywhere.

After, it's pie and ice cream for everyone.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:29 pm
German Newspaper generally underwhelming reaction summed up here

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15044492,00.html
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're not raising issues that people aren't already openly talking about. The topic of what Pakistan knew, or should have known, regarding bin Laden's location, was brought up at the White House news briefing a little while ago. These are questions that will be continue to be discussed in coming days.

However, at the moment, it is in our diplomatic, and national security, interest to strengthen our ties with the Pakistan government, rather than weaken them by questioning what the Pakistani military (or government) might have known. We need the assistance of Pakistan in continuing to fight terrorism.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:49 pm
@firefly,
The old 'national security' meme, eh, FF? That's been used for everything including how important it was and is to rape, torture and slaughter innocent men, women and children.

When are you going to lay this old canard to rest? Surely, you've taken enough lives around the world to defend not your national security but your ability to raid the treasure of so many countries around the world.

Ask yourself, honestly now, not in the fashion that y'all normally do;

how many of the innocents that the US has butchered and continues to butcher around the world are any kind of a threat to US national security?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:12 pm
@JTT,
checking in
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:14 pm
Predictably the fast dumping of the body at sea is being seen by Islamic scholars as another disregard of their faith by the American cowboys...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_bin_laden_sea_burial
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Welcome, RJB. Perhaps you can answer this?

How is it that OBL is this super evil guy whose death elicits partying and dancing in the streets but US prezes who have murdered millions or hundreds of thousands or tens of thousands, get pensions and big boats or airports named after them.

Hell, a lot of these prezes were even pretty good buddies with OBL and those who the US say supported him, the Taliban. They didn't seem to care when he bombed an embassy or attacked a US something or other boat. Bush was tight with the Taliban until they sought to exclude American business.

Why is there this penchant for Americans for turning so quickly on good friends?
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:34 pm
@JTT,
you are certainly a one trick pony JTT. Whats your agenda in all of these threads. Youve even demonized the Union during the US civil war. CAn I start a fund to buy you a ticket to Yemen?
McTag

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:34 pm
@JTT,

Mr Obama today: "The world is a safer place".

Oh no, it isn't.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:35 pm
Hitchens agrees with me
Quote:
There are several pleasant little towns like Abbottabad in Pakistan, strung out along the roads that lead toward the mountains from Rawalpindi (the garrison town of Pakistani's military brass and, until 2003, a safe-house for Khalid Sheik Muhammed). Muzaffarabad, Abbottabad … cool in summer and winter, with majestic views and discreet amenities. The colonial British—like Maj. James Abbott, who gave his name to this one—called them "hill stations," designed for the rest and recreation of commissioned officers. The charming idea, like the location itself, survives among the Pakistani officer corps. If you tell me that you are staying in a rather nice walled compound in Abbottabad, I can tell you in return that you are the honored guest of a military establishment that annually consumes several billion dollars of American aid. It's the sheer blatancy of it that catches the breath.

There's perhaps some slight satisfaction to be gained from this smoking-gun proof of official Pakistani complicity with al-Qaida, but in general it only underlines the sense of anticlimax. After all, who did not know that the United States was lavishly feeding the same hands that fed Bin Laden? There's some minor triumph, also, in the confirmation that our old enemy was not a heroic guerrilla fighter but the pampered client of a corrupt and vicious oligarchy that runs a failed and rogue state.

http://www.slate.com/id/2292687/
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:41 pm
Wow - here's a pic of the Obama team watching the attack unfold

http://www.nationalreview.com/sites/default/files/nfs/uploaded/u12/5680724572_d4696d593d.jpg

I bet that was about the tensest moment ever for those people.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I bet that was about the tensest moment ever for those people.
On the day after this brain trust look to be fools
Quote:
The martyr of Abbottabad is no more, and the competing Führer-complexes of his surviving underlings will perhaps now enjoy an exciting free rein. Yet the uniformed and anonymous patrons of that sheltered Abbottabad compound are still very much with us, and Obama's speech will be entirely worthless if he expects us to go on arming and financing the very people who made this trackdown into such a needlessly long, arduous and costly one.
Hitchens...that is $1 billion a year we have been handing over to Pakistan for the purpose of getting Osama and turning the screws to his network...and they were hiding him all along.
hingehead

@Cycloptichorn,
You sure they're not just watching a Redskins game go into overtime?
0 Replies

wandeljw

@hawkeye10,
Is Hitchens your brain trust?
hingehead

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:49 pm
@wandeljw,
Excuse his enthusiasm JW, it's not often he finds someone who agrees with him. Wink
hawkeye10

@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Is Hitchens your brain trust?
No, I was speaking of the big cheeses in the photo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@hawkeye10,
I don't understand what point you are trying to make here, but I will say that I find your negativity in the face of events to be a little churlish.

ah, I see what you edited in here:

Quote:
Hitchens...that is $1 billion a year we have been handing over to Pakistan for the purpose of getting Osama and turning the screws to his network...and they were hiding him all along.

I don't think that's the sole reason we were providing that aid to Pakistan.

Cycloptichorn
wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:50 pm
@hingehead,
thanks, i hadn't thought of that
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:50 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Close US friend right up until 9/11?? What are you talking about?

Yeah, we loved it when he bombed the World Trade Center in 1993, and the USS Cole bombing in 2000 was a great way to make friends with us too.

Granted, the pranks and practical jokes that alpha-male friends bond over can be a little rough sometimes. You wouldn't understand, woman.
0 Replies