Osama Bin Laden is dead

msolga

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:16 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I honestly think things will get worse now.

That is my worry, POM.
Retribution.
He will now be considered a martyr to his followers.
I really hope my initial response was wrong.
snood

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:16 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Why think that way? I'd like to think of this as a positive thing. I mean, of course the worst might happen, but I'm hoping...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Now maybe we can finally get all our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I won't be celebrating his death. Way too many people have died in order to achieve it.

Was it worth it?
I woud celebrate his death, if I were not so lazy.

David
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:25 pm
HALLE-LUJAH!! Three cheers for the US military!! Well done!

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8306/symbolthumbsupgreend.png

http://www.dhammawheel.com/images/smilies/beer.gif
failures art

US bases eased there FPCON level last week with the possibility of retaliation attack.

I flew out of DCA on Friday. They didn't let us to leave our seat until an hour after take off. It's been a long time since that kind of flight policy has been in place. My girlfriend and I talked about why that was. We speculated that there might have been a threat or something. We weren't so far off. Huh.

Bummer, to not be in DC tonight. I'd ride down to Penn ave.

A
R
T
wandeljw

White House Website:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/live?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:26 pm
@failures art,
Folks are gathering around the White House singing the national anthem.

I'm betting that you'd be right there with them if you were in town.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:29 pm
It will be interesting to hear the details on what role the Pakistan folks played or didn't play in all this.

It will also be interesting to watch the reaction in Congress as the US government admits they've taken unauthorized military action across the border in Pakistan.
CalamityJane

This is a major victory for the United States, the military, the intelligence services and last not least, President Obama.
Hopefully, the troops will be able to go home now!
0 Replies

failures art

@Butrflynet,
Aint no party like a Penn ave party.
R
T
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:39 pm
I don't often agree with Ticomaya, but I do tonight. Good work, men and women. I hope you're disapointed at not ending up in the place where all those virgins were waiting for you, Osama.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:41 pm
Obama said the strike was today. Maybe I heard that wrong. Someone else hear that? misspoke?

A
R
T
wandeljw

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:43 pm
@failures art,
I also heard him say today.

Team of Americans went in today. There was a firefight. Bin Laden was killed and the body taken by the American team.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:47 pm
@failures art,
Yes, he said it was today. Last week he authorized the strike - boots on the ground. The strike was in Pakistan, not Afghanistan.

How many "official sources" were wrong, confirming within the hour that the strike was a drone, last week, in Afghanistan?

Who cares ... let's celebrate!
roger

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:50 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'm good with that.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:50 pm
Big crowd gathering around the White House to celebrate...chanting USA USA.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:56 pm
Partial transcript - more in a few minutes.

"Justice has been done," the president declared as crowds formed outside the White House to celebrate, singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "We Are the Champions," NBC News reported.

Obama said bin Laden, whom he called a terrorist "responsible for the murder of thousands of American men, women and children," was killed in Pakistan earlier in the day after a firefight in an operation that was based on U.S. intelligence.

Officials long believed that bin Laden, the most wanted man in the world, was hiding a mountainous region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

It is a major accomplishment for Obama and his national security team, having fulfilled the goal once voiced by Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush, to bring to justice the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Obama declared that "the death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation's struggle to defeat al-Qaida," he stressed that the effort continues.

"We must and we will remain vigilant at home and abroad," he said, while emphasizing that "the United States is not and never will be at war with Islam."
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:05 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

You may be right. No way to know but wait and see. Some say al Qaeda (however the hell it's spelled) wasn't really the main engine behind the majority of Islamic terriorism, anyway. It'll be something to keep us on our toes for a while...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:06 pm
I'm glad it's done, and it sounds like quite capably so.
I'll wish for the best re further developments.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:12 pm
GWB: “The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.”