Amanda Berry's desperate 911 call to police

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC9UN6sOZtI

Soon after escaping from the house in Cleveland, Ohio, where she was being held, missing Amanda Berry makes a desperate 911 call to police.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 17,554 • Replies: 93

raprap

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:09 am
@smithy988,
If it was up to the NRA she wouldn't have needed to call 911.

Rap
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:43 am
@smithy988,
What a weird and amazing story.

I'm sure she'd been looking for a way to escape for 10 years. I'm so glad she finally had the opportunity to yell for help and that someone was there to hear her.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:51 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

What a weird and amazing story.

I'm sure she'd been looking for a way to escape for 10 years. I'm so glad she finally had the opportunity to yell for help and that someone was there to hear her.

Highly doubtful....did you catch Elizabeth Smart yesterday saying that she did not try?
boomerang

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:59 am
@hawkeye10,
No, I didn't see that.

But I get the point of why some people don't -- the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing.

I imagine trying to figure out how to just stay alive consumes most of the day in these situations.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 12:45 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

No, I didn't see that.

But I get the point of why some people don't -- the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing.

I imagine trying to figure out how to just stay alive consumes most of the day in these situations.

That is not what Smart says...her thinking was that she was now damaged goods, a conclusion she reached after anti teen sex zealots in her school tried to scare teens into not willingly being sexual. This poor thing did not think that anyone would want her anymore after she had been sexed
upon so she might as well stay were she was.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Those three guys are really scarey looking!!

They probably beat those women all the time.

Makes ya wonder about your neighbors . . .

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yikes!

We probably have abstinence only sex ed and religion to "thank" for that sad point of view. How awful for her.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:59 pm
A lot of people are upset with the 911 operator, who didn't seem to be taking the situation very seriously.
boomerang

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I thought the same thing.

But I'm sure those operators deal with all kinds of crazy calls and I'm sure they're trained to stay calm when the caller is hysterical so I'm thinking she was just doing her job.

I'll bet a lot of people had forgotten Amanda Berry's name even if they remembered the crime.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

A lot of people are upset with the 911 operator, who didn't seem to be taking the situation very seriously.

It did not sound serious, or real. Still does not.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 06:19 pm
I think the 911 operator was taking it seriously. They have to stay calm and dispassionate, especially when the caller is freaking out. She was trying to get the facts straight.

The only thing I don't get is that she didn't stay on the line with her, just talking to her, until the police got there.
When I've called 911, they've stayed on the line with me until I could hear sirens coming, then I'd tell them I was going to hang up and go out to wait for them. I remember saying to one operator to please stay on the line with me, until help came.

Aside, I'd always thank them profusely before hanging up, glad I felt like I had some sort of connection to help on its way.

I didn't want to be mollycoddled, or hear, "everything's going to be ok" or anything like that. Just wanted a voice to connect to.

In any event, I'm really interested in how 3 women stayed hidden for so long, in houses so close to each other. Obviously it happened. I haven't read hardly anything about this yet, beyond, 3 women, 3 men, 1 child etc.

Going to read about it now.
chai2

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:15 am
@chai2,
hm.

nothing much so far except the usual "God was watching out for these women" and "no one in the Castro's family could imagine something like this could happen"

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:56 am
@chai2,
Looks like the police were fairly incompetent.

Quote:
Neighbours told news organisations they had made multiple calls to police regarding suspicious activity at the house, including sightings of women crying for help and of Ariel Castro allegedly taking a small girl for early-morning walks.

Another neighbour claimed to have alerted police to the sound of pounding on the doors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22445329
chai2

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:06 am
@izzythepush,
True izzy.

There was something also about a neighbor seeing a naked woman crawling through the backyard in the middle of the night.

I also read last night, on I think a British site (not sure) something about the women having had 5 miscarriages while held captive. This might just be sensationalism, as I didn't read it elsewhere. I honestly haven't dug that deeply yet.

I'm trying to get info past "the 911 operator was rude/uncaring and the cops were incompetent" and also desperately trying to get past the "God saved them", "these girls are heros", "we all thought these brothers were nice guys" shite.

I'd like to know (eventually, time will reveal) how these women survived. What strategies did they use to keep alive, and hopefully, somewhat sane during all this?
This could happen to anyone. It's happening right now, maybe in the house next door, or a block or 2 away.

Did these women have contact with each other, or were they kept mostly separate? I'd guess the latter.
It's said in early reports they were kept "tied up" Well, obviously not all the time. One of them had a child to look after, and no one could survive 10 plus years tied to a chair. The decubitus alone could kill them
Were there opportunities to escape not taken, and if so why? Was it because of loss of hope, fear, lack of a plan, any sort of plan?

This is a story of survival. How did you do it? How did you last? What would you tell to others to try if they were in this situation? What did you wish you tried? How did you deal with your captors? What made you pick this moment to escape? Did you connect a previous experience to this time, and know the moment was right?

Sitting here in the safety of my home, I'm trying to imagine what I'd do.
I'd maybe try to lull my captor into a feeling of complacency, like I was too devestated inside to try to escape. Let him/her get lax. Remain vigilant. Try to remember my captor is only human, and will make mistakes, opportunities for me. Judge the right opportunity, not a stupid one.

It's interesting how Berry had obviously come to feel her captors powers reached beyond where, to us in our safety, realize they had no power anymore.
While in someone elses home, with her and her child escaped, she was still saying "hurry up, before he comes back" The jig was up. Even if he did come back, find her gone, even with the 2 other women still inside, the game was over. Yet she must have thought he could come into someone elses home, in front of other people, with 911 on the phone and the police on their way, and take her back.
The lines were blurred.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:16 am
@chai2,
We don't know anything about these last years other than that one has a kid and that they all look very physically healthy. How about keeping your imagination in check till the facts come out?

I am struck that zero facts are out yet...this leads me to expect that the facts contradict the zeal of victim worship so everyone is staying quiet. Time will tell.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:51 am
@hawkeye10,
NEWSFLASH: ropes and chains were found in the house!

Do you have both ropes and chains in your house because I know I do....
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 11:04 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

NEWSFLASH: ropes and chains were found in the house!

Do you have both ropes and chains in your house because I know I do....

You're right, it's all a fit up, those girls probably kidnapped themselves. Next you'll be saying they weren't raped, not by your definition anyway.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 11:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you suggesting that these women were there voluntarily?

Because that's just crazy.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 11:50 am
@boomerang,
We know nothing and should be careful about what we assume. The lack of tales from authorities about the victimhood of the four people so far is very odd though. Normally rescues are played up as propaganda for the state in America...the europeans are the ones who let the facts come out in the courts, in America the state rarely lets an opportunity for a PR push go to waste.

We shall see eventually what these women have been up to.