Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 09:12 pm
Is there something in the water these days? These rampages just seem to be coming too close on the heels of each other. Read about the latest one right here.

Here's the video:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/ndnvideo/?freewheel=90002&sitesection=mysanantonio&VID=24440964
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 14,712 • Replies: 16

roger

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:05 pm
I'm not so sure. There may be an element of copycat or inspiration from other events.
Lola

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:07 pm
@roger,
Yes, I didn't look at the video before spouting off.
BillRM

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, the media anti-gun campaign that focus of any shootings in a nation of 300 millions is doing a wonderful job of covering up the fact that the US murder rate is now as a fifty years low and damn near a hundred years low.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:40 pm
According to gun nuts, a simple nostril hair can be as dangerous as a bazooka. Yet we don't ban nose hairs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:55 pm
@Lola,
Neither did I. I look at very few videos, by the way.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:46 pm
@BillRM,
Y'know, I'm begining to think that for once BillRM might have a valid point (see his post above). Being that much of the mainstream media are of a liberal bent and in favor of stricter gun control, is it possible that these days stories which used to be minor items on a back page are suddenly getting major play on a national level? Back in the bad old days a story like this might never have made national news at all. You'd have to be living in California to even hear about it. Today, every time there's a gun involved, it's page one coast-to-coast. I make no value judgement about that. Maybe its time to bring this sort of thing to a wider national audience (and maybe not).

What do you all think?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 03:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

Crazy people doing crazy things with firearms make the news
and often lead the news. The media has a liberal agenda to push.

Law abiding citizens doing the right thing and defending themselves with
firearms rarely make the news... the same media has a reality to hide.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
It the crazy shooter at Newtown had killed his mother and instead of her guns had taken her car and driven it into a school bus at over 80 MPH killing twenty students it would had been a very brief national news story in my opinion.

It not the deaths cause by a crazy person it is the tool that he picked to do his killings that the news coverage depend on.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:17 am
I've been advised that it's too soon to talk about it.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 07:36 am
What is maybe new is sheer amount of arsenal the people who have been involved in theses shootings have. Plus the kinda erratic rampage he went on before getting shot down, is worth a news story.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/john-zawahri-weapons.jpg

Quote:
Five are dead after a gunman rampaged through Santa Monica, CA, on Friday, ending at the local community college. The Santa Monica shooting marks the tenth mass shooting on a school campus in California since 1976.

The suspect, 23-year-old John Zawahri, was known as an angry young man with a “fascination with guns” that worried family friends. Zawahri was born in Lebanon but has lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years. In a press conference on Sunday, police said the troubled young man had planned out the attack and likely hoped to kill hundreds. The spree lasted 10 minutes, ending when police shot and killed Zawahri on the scene.

Zawahri allegedly killed his father and brother and burned down their house before heading toward Santa Monica College, armed with a ballistic vest, an AR-15 assault rifle and a duffel bag filled with an estimated 1,300 rounds of ammunition, magazines, and a .44 revolver. He shot and wounded a woman driving by his house, then carjacked another woman. On the way, he shot at pedestrians and a city bus, injuring 3 people.

Once he arrived at the community college, Zawahri gunned down a groundskeeper, 68-year-old Navarro Franco, killing him immediately, and his 26-year-old daughter, Marcela, who died in the hospital on Sunday. Witnesses say students scattered, jumping out windows and running for their lives. He then shot an unidentified woman in her 50s outside the library, went inside and fired 70 rounds at students who had been studying for exams. Police ultimately shot and killed him in the library.
Links at
thinkprogress

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I can't see the video, Andy. Tell me where that happened?

Ah, editing, I see from Revelette that it is the santa monica situation - close to home for me.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:59 pm
@ossobuco,
It happened in February, Osso. Check the dates on these posts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 02:23 pm
You mean your video scene did - then I still don't know where the shooting was or what happened. No clue. The San Antonio site you linked, whatever that is, won't tell me.

"Please wait while loading video player.
If no content appears within 15sec, you may need to download or upgrade the free Adobe Flash Player." I can't upgrade. The rest of their page is quite blank.

Now I get it that your post was in February (sorry I missed that).
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Is there something in the water these days? These rampages just seem to be coming too close on the heels of each other. Read about the latest one right here.

Here's the video:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/ndnvideo/?freewheel=90002&sitesection=mysanantonio&VID=24440964
[/quote

Detroit and Chicago have more murders every day, but the biggest tragedy is 22 starving veterans commit suicide every day.

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
Thomas Falater

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 07:41 am
@Rickoshay75,
It's too bad there were no honest gun owners in that crowd to defend themselves. I would hate to be in a situation where I could not defend myself because the government wouldn't allow me to have a gun. The same government that allows illegal aliens from God knows where to stream across our borders. Do they not care at all about their citizen's safety? I live in Texas and thank God we can still defend ourselves. Thomas William Falater
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 05:26 pm
@Thomas Falater,
I know right - I can't believe they banned guns from the NRA Convention for Trump's visit. What's up with that?
0 Replies