farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:56 am
@djjd62,
Donald Trump still wants to see the long form death certificate
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks so much, Butrflynet!

I've been concerned about the "burial at sea" part, this seems to indicate that it is in fact in accordance with Muslim traditions:

Quote:
623. * If a person dies on a ship and if there is no fear of the decay of the dead body and if there is no problem in retaining it for sometime on the ship, it should be kept on it and buried in the ground after reaching the land. Otherwise, after giving Ghusl, Hunut, Kafan and Namaz-e-Mayyit it should be lowered into the sea in a vessel of clay or with a weight tied to its feet. And as far as possible it should not be lowered at a point where it is eaten up immediately by the sea predators.

624. If it is feared that an enemy may dig up the grave and exhume the dead body and amputate its ears or nose or other limbs, it should be lowered into sea, if possible, as stated in the foregoing rule.

http://www.seaservices.com/Muslim.htm

It seems to be saying that at least a sea burial is acceptable, and at best it's actually the best way to go since there is a chance that the grave would be defiled.

I read other things (can't remember where, can find back) saying that the US wanted to avoid a shrine situation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
such an objection nugatory
Hadda look that word up. I originally thought it had something to do with soft creamy centers of chocolates
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:18 am
@farmerman,
hehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:31 am
@Eorl,
When it comes to a war, the rules change, Eorl, and that's essentially all i'm saying. I've not said you're wrong and i'm right, but, obvious, i believe that is the case.
Eorl

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:54 am
@Setanta,
" 'This was a kill operation,' U.S. national security official says, clarifying no desire to capture Osama bin Laden alive - Reuters"
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:57 am
@Eorl,
Good . . . putting him on trial would have given him a stage from which to rant. Do you believe that a trial would have acquitted him?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Donald Trump still wants to see the long form death certificate
We won 't need that if we have a taxidermist stuff it.
We can display it in the Smithsonian Institute.
Put it next to the Imax Theaters, so we can see it on the way in.

David
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:59 am
Wake up in the morning, eat breakfast and suddenly you are seven pages behind the lead thread. My thoughts:

- I think this is mostly symbolic since I doubt BL was directing day to day activities nor has he been for a long time. Still, it is a powerful symbol.
- I doubt there are significant AQ resources in the US waiting for the word to strike since maintaining sleeper cells for years is risky and wasteful, especially when Western countries are actively looking for them.
- I'll be interested to hear what part Pakistan played in the raid since we've had rough relations there recently. It wouldn't surprise me if this happened with some parts of the Pakistani government uninformed.
- The celebration stuff is uncalled for. If Americans find it unseemly when people in other countries celebrate our losses, why would they feel that signing in the street here would be ignored elsewhere. For those who feel justice has been served, quiet reflection would serve us better IMO.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:59 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
" 'This was a kill operation,' U.S. national security official says, clarifying no desire to capture Osama bin Laden alive - Reuters"
War is good for killing.

David
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:00 am
Humorous story of blogger who accidently blogged the raid while complaining about noise from a helicopter.

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:02 am
@Setanta,
Of course not, but you know that's not the point.
Superman has caught the The Joker and snapped his neck.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
First of all congratulations on a job well done. It's a pity Bush couldn't have done this years ago. Then again, with close family links between the Bushes and the Bin Ladens going back years, coupled with a convenient bogeyman, which allowed Bush to pass legislation which takes away the rights of the American people I can see why he didn't bother.

Super. Welcome to the forum. We need another leftist.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:06 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for that picture, Butrflynet. I had read, that "according to Islamic tradition", bin Laden had been quickly buried, at sea. Cynical me, my first thought was that I had not read anything about a picture of the dead binLaden.

I hope that they took a sample of DNA, to prove that the man who was killed was really binLaden.

I'm not from Missouri, but I believe in "show me"!
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:08 am
@Eorl,
There is a degree of hypocrisy in conducting a trial with a foregone conclusion which is lacking from an operation such as this. Once again, it is a war, and this was a legitimate operastion in a war. If we could have killed Hitler and gotten our troops out alive, we'd have done so, and i seriously doubt that anyone would have anguished over it.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:14 am
@engineer,
Pakistan was not informed ahead of time. (Some Pakistani police were used for elements but they didn't know who the target was, and the Pakistani government was not informed.)

The more I read about the compound and the courier, the more I think he actually was pretty active (and that it wasn't just symbolic).

The compound was built for OBL in 2005, and he was tracked there by identifying and then locating his most trusted courier (no name, yet). The implication is that the courier was still active, out in the world and transporting information to and from, and that's how he was found/ tracked.
dadpad

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:18 am
Quote:
It's just all the cheering in the streets gets my Lord of the Flies nerve a-twitchin'

Mmm yes. I found that somewhat disturbing as well.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:24 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, I know all that and agree mostly, (the fact of Osamas death I imagine is a "good thing" on balance) but when the option is there to take the high moral ground, shouldn't we take it? Do we really want to join the eye-for-an-eye cycle that the middle east has kept running for thousands of years?
I think the greater the power, the more responsibility it has to wield it justly and responsibly, or it risks being the greater evil.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:29 am
@farmerman,
What does he know. He thinks a dead cat is a haircut
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:32 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Wake up in the morning, eat breakfast and suddenly you are seven pages behind the lead thread. My thoughts:

- I think this is mostly symbolic since I doubt BL was directing day to day activities nor has he been for a long time.
Still, it is a powerful symbol.
It was a gesture toward avenging the victims of 9/11,
of whom I was 1 (vicariously), in that Laden killed a libertarian friend of mine,
of several years: NYC Police Lt. John Perry. He was also a member of Mensa.
He was in the midst of submitting his papers for retirement,
when the first plane hit. He was a lawyer n was about to begin practicing law.
He had been discussing that for about 3 years before the fateful day.
He was killed rescuing people from the dark of WTC 2,
when it collapsed on him.

Just speaking for myself: I feel avenged.

engineer wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if this happened with some parts of the Pakistani government uninformed.
I will not hold that against obama.

engineer wrote:
- The celebration stuff is uncalled for. If Americans find it unseemly when people in other countries celebrate our losses, why would they feel that signing in the street here would be ignored elsewhere. For those who feel justice has been served, quiet reflection would serve us better IMO.
We shoud get our Jollies
when we CAN! (party pooper!) HOORAY!!!!! HOT DIGGETY DOG! YIPPEEE!!!

Did u say the same thing on VE Day and VJ Day ??

David