The Case For Biden

snood

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 12:37 pm
Maureen Dowd says Biden was pressured by his son Beau to run, while Beau was on his deathbed.
The only hold back I have about Joe has always been that he shoots from the hip sometimes when it would be wiser to save his ammo or aim much more careful. That reputation for loose lips precedes him, and could affect how much gravitas he is perceived to have on the world stage.
I think he is a decent and ethical man with the courage of his convictions. I think he is well schooled in foreign relations, and he has a solid grasp on how to make the economy keep growing. I think Biden could convincingly run on Obama's record, since he was there for the whole ride and could sell it. He scares me a little because of his judgement on what are and aren't good moments for spontaneity. But given what we have so far on the Dem side, I'd support Joe in a heartbeat. What do you think about the idea of Biden 2016?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/opinion/sunday/maureen-dowd-joe-biden-in-2016-what-would-beau-do.html?_r=1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 109,613 • Replies: 2,702
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 12:43 pm
@snood,
I'm interested, will listen.
farmerman

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 12:54 pm
@ossobuco,
hes a bit too old for an 8 year investment. His Vice p[president would really need to be well thought out
ossobuco

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 01:22 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, there is that. Somewhat balanced by experience, though. And there are the gaffes. I'm interested because I like him. I prefer straight forward to, uh, calculating, as peoples' personas, of either party. That's part of why I like Bernie too. Bernie is not very different in age from Joe, about a year older than he is. They've had five or six more years of walking around than she has. I don't think I'll end up deciding on the age basis re those three. Someone younger and somehow better, we'll see.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 01:35 pm
Definitely voting for Bernie in the primary, but would switch to Joe if my guy doesn't win.

He does have baggage & issues, but he'd be the only other possibility for me. I've also heard this from other ABCs.
edgarblythe

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 01:52 pm
I like Joe a lot, but so far I don't think he will choose to run.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:03 pm
@snood,
another far too old option

isn't there anyone under 50 in the Democratic party who would be a viable candidate?
snood

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

another far too old option

isn't there anyone under 50 in the Democratic party who would be a viable candidate?

I don't know why aged 60-70 should be a deal breaker. There are scores of people in public office over the age of 60. Does the relative youth of people like Rubio and Jindal make them any less feckless?
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:05 pm
@Lash,
I am not aware of too much baggage and/or issues with Biden other than sticking his foot in his mouth on occasion.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:11 pm
@revelette2,
Don't get me wrong, I like him.

Here's one spin - doesn't come off too bad, but he has a reputation of being a bit of a dumbass. Nobody will say that, but they will saddle him with everything that happened during the Obama presidency that could be considered unpopular.

Like the article says ..."all of the baggage but none of the excitement" (paraphrasing)

http://www.nationaljournal.com/against-the-grain/forget-what-he-said-joe-biden-is-not-running-for-president-20150121
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:15 pm
@Lash,
I have never head that. Do you have specifics of what is wrong with the Obama presidency and how it is Joe Biden's fault? I don't think there is too much wrong with Obama's presidency. I think anyone thinking along those lines never would vote democratic in the first place, unless you are talking about NSA and drones, in which case conservatives would hardly be in a position to object to those kind of things.

btw-NJ is pretty conservative as well.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:18 pm
@revelette2,
So revelette. The Republicans are all happy with everything Obama has done?
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:22 pm
This might help.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2013/11/13/the-internet-loves-joe-biden-heres-why-thats-a-problem-for-his-presidential-ambitions/

Again. I like Joe and considering he'd be saving this country from HRC - I'd vote for him despite this and hope for something goddamn better next cycle.

Thankfully, Bernie will be the nominee.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:51 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

So revelette. The Republicans are all happy with everything Obama has done?

In bizzaro repub-think, anything Obama did = wrong. I think revelette was referring to things in his presidency that were actually wrong.
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:00 pm
@Lash,
The republicans haven't been happy with Obama since the day he announced his candidacy.

Any baggage Biden would have because of the Obama presidency would not hurt his chances with independents and the green party because the republicans would be no good alternative on the issues they disagreed with such drones and NSA.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:04 pm
@revelette2,
Yes. That was what I was saying. This is what they'll come for. I still think it's better than Hillary.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:05 pm
@snood,
Yes. I was talking about the baggage he'll face during the general.
roger

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:08 pm
Saddling Biden with the Obama administration is just unfair. The Vice President has about as much influence on national and international policy as the Secretary of Education. If the Democratic nomination came down to a choice between Sanders and Biden, I wouldn't be totally unhappy.

As far as the age thing goes, they would both be well advised to select a Vice President based on competence. Neither is especially young.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
@Lash,
In the end, in the general, voters are faced with not only who is better, but who is worse. Between Biden and a republican for one who is a progressive and who believes in privacy more than security and does not believe in drones, they would just look at the other side and realize at least Biden is a progressive. IMO for what its worth.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 04:12 pm
@ehBeth,
70 is the new 50.