The 2008 Democrat Convention

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:04 pm
I imagined there had to be a topic covering the convention, but I am having navigating problems.... So, I'd love to discuss perceptions.

Re: Carter not speaking... Some people think the front story is that Carter requested not to speak. I'm not buying it. The conversation between Carter and Anne Curry revealed that Carter is getting a little mentally weak. I surmised this when his opinions started going out in left field a few years ago. He forgot Hillary's name. I think he's considered a liability because of his ultra-weak presidency---and this may bode poorly for Obama. No one wants to go back to malaise....

Jesse Jackson, Jr was an impressive speaker.

Kennedy was a sincere crowd pleaser.

Waiting for Michelle...

What were YOUR impressions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 53 • Views: 99,224 • Replies: 841

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:08 pm
@Lash,
CNN has a live feed here: http://edition.cnn.com/video/live/live.html?stream=stream1

You may need to install a plugin to watch (I do, and decided it's not worth the bother).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:08 pm
Oh, duh, I should have posted here of course.

Copy/paste:

nimh wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
I'm having no luck finding youtube videos for it (and don't want to watch TV).

C-SPAN has a live stream. (Right now: the community activist who hired Barack).

They also have a video up there of "Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) at New York Delegation Breakfast in Denver, CO"; I suppose they'll put up other separate vids too.

Not that I'm watching.. having enough trouble to get myself to get some sleep as it is. Its dark thirty here.

nimh wrote:
And now it's Tom Harkin - who, Soz will be pleased to hear, started off giving a few sentences of welcome and thanks in sign language before starting to speak.

And now Jim Leach, who was a Republican Congressman for Iowa for 30 years -- and now speaking here.

None of these three, well-meaning as they are and sensible the things they say may be, are very inspiring speakers... at, um, all.
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:09 pm
You can't help but to be caught up in the novelty of the Obama candidacy for black Americans...and those of us who have waited for this day. Jackson connected the mile high city with MLK's "mountain top"...and of course, I got chillbumps...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:12 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

C-SPAN has a live stream.

Doh! That one requires Real Player, which I'm less inclined to use. This is about to set me off on an accessibility rant so I'll just wait for it to get to YouTube.
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
@nimh,
Yeah. The TV talking heads are saying that the Dems have fumbled using TV coverage to their advantage...that the first 3 hours were quite lackluster and too music-padded. They should have been a bit smoother with their message and how they played to people tuning in. Organization ...not so much a Dem strong suit.

(Of course, it's just as scary to be a steamroller...like the GOP, if you're headed in the wrong direction...haha)

Thank, Robert, nimh... My family used to gather around convention coverage like it was a Super Bowl....
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Claire McCaskill's children (1 son, 2 daughters) are all insanely handsome/pretty.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Doh! That one requires Real Player, which I'm less inclined to use.

There's two buttons actually, "Click either the Windows Media or Real Media icon for the C-SPAN network you wish to stream" - so you can choose your poison :-)
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:19 pm
@Lash,
McCaskill is definitelly a better speaker, although she does have that slightly creepy former-pageant-beauty, model-all-American-mom thing going on.

Lash wrote:

Thank, Robert, nimh... My family used to gather around convention coverage like it was a Super Bowl....

Ha! I can just imagine ... I'm sure my mom woulda been exactly the same, both my parents actually.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:22 pm
@nimh,
My media player came right up..thanks for the link, because the Italian is NOT watching the convention!!! (jeez)

So, McCaskill is trying to paint McC as Bush 3...
<smiling at nimh's mom...I bet I'd love her>
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:24 pm
@Lash,
I'm going to the bedroom to watch Michelle. Be back later with my take. Really interested!!!!
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:25 pm
Yeah, good speech, but the perennial toothpaste commercial perfect Prozac smile is really distracting if she is intoning how hard the people of Missouri have it now - {smiles} - how tough the economy is - {smiles} - and how in Missouri, they have a direct feed into the struggles of regular American families today - {smiles}.

Btw, some of this is sorta kinda funny enough --

DNC Drinking Game

Quote:
Take a drink every time Hillary says something bad about Obama in the secret code language that all white people know.

Take a drink every time a Democrat follows up the Pledge of Allegiance with a chuckle and a " "Just kidding."

Take a drink of champagne when you're filled with excitement as you realize, "Oh my god, this can really happen. A black man named Barack Obama might be elected president."

Take a shot of whiskey when that feeling is swiftly followed by dread as you think, "There's no way this is gonna happen."

In honor of Ted Kennedy, take a million drinks.

Take a long, emotional swig of gin every time Hillary does.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:26 pm
I agree with the pundits that the democrats are wasting a lot of time with feel good presentations with no substance about what this election is about.
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:27 pm
Ha - the Michelle video, her talking about how she first met Barack at their job - "and I thought, who names their kid Barack Obama? That guy must be weird" Laughing
old europe

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:28 pm
@nimh,
(soooo.... you're still up and watching this, eh?)
nimh

@Lash,
Looking forward to it :-)

Its 4:30 nhere, so... I hafta go to bed.
0 Replies

nicole415

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/35833/thumbs/r-TEDDY-KENNEDY-huge.jpg
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:29 pm
@old europe,
Ha! And you... ;-)
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
edit
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

There's two buttons actually, "Click either the Windows Media or Real Media icon for the C-SPAN network you wish to stream" - so you can choose your poison :-)

I have Windows Media Player and it still doesn't work, which is why I'm this close (holds up fingers) to a FLV video rant.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8713/scpanhj4.jpg
nicole415

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You must have Vista?
0 Replies