Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:39 pm
Well of course I don't know for sure, but there sure seems to be a lot of talk about Pawlenty today. His intrade charts have skyrocketed and various Republican websites are proclaiming him the guy.

Heard the same, or perhaps a different name? Don't know much about Pawlenty. Relatively successful gov of MN. Has a reputation for being bland and boring, but solidly pro-life.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 62 • Views: 165,315 • Replies: 1,951
Topic Closed

H2O MAN

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
This can wait.
hawkeye10

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
reports are that McCain does not want to wait.....but he would be a fool to announce before labor day. It would be viewed as an attempt at manipulation of the news cycle.
realjohnboy

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The rumor mills all have it being Pawlenty and for it being tomorrow (Friday). Makes sense as far as the timing. Try to deflect a bit from the post-convention bounce Obama might or might not get, and get him on the talk shows this weekend prior to the Repub convention to introduce himself.
Supposedly he, unlike some of the others, has cleared his calandar of other events.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm having a harder time predicting this one than the Dems. I've seen interesting hints leading to Ridge and even Lieberman (in addition to Pawlenty).

Either way, I predict I will know by this time tomorrow for sure. It's leaking (not announced, but leaking) overnight.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

reports are that McCain does not want to wait.....but he would be a fool to announce before labor day. It would be viewed as an attempt at manipulation of the news cycle.

Yeah, I would keep it secret for a few days.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
Fox news has reported that it will be Pawlenty - per some website I read Laughing

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
Do you have a favorite, H2O, as to who Sen McCain should choose as his Veep?
(And do any of yall know how Vice President (VP) morphed into Veep? I do.)
H2O MAN

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm a big fan of The FairTax plan... McCain needs to support it and pick a like minded VP.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It makes sense, as most established GOP insiders would have too much to lose by hooking their wagon to McCain, but also because I expect McCain to run on an anti Washington platform. He will claim that Washington is Americas problem, not the american people. He will attempt to make people feel good and to bond them by identifying a common enemy, a classic power play that often works. Having a Gov as VP sends the message that the smart people and the solutions are found in the states, not in Washington.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
I think McFlip should choose Bill Kristol as his vp. It'd be McWrong and Wronger.

Quote:
When Stephen wants an unbiased and honest opinion of how Hillary Clinton’s speech went over with Democrats on Tuesday in Denver, who better to ask than Bill Kristol, right?

COLBERT: “Now, of course, to judge convention speeches, I always turn to Bill Kristol. Monday night he said this about Michelle Obama’s speech.”

KRISTOL: “I thought it was sort of generic.”

COLBERT: “And, as for Senator Clinton’s praise for Barack Obama, here’s how Kristol described that.”

KRISTOL: “Generic. Could have been applied to any other democrat.”

COLBERT: What a wordsmith. Kristol’s description about Democratic speeches are so…. what’s the word? Interchangeable? Non-descript? A kind of cheap knockoff of a brand name product? It’ll come to me.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:48 am
I'm watching Palin speak right now on "Breaking News on CNN."

I'm scared. McCain is 72 years old. His life expectancy is fastly diminishing. McCain claims that Obama isn't ready to lead this country . . . and then he chooses this shocking newbie, who clearly isn't ready to lead this country, to be his running mate? and next in line for the presidency? Again, I'm scared.
Woiyo9

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:51 am
@Debra Law,
Your scared because she has been an active Gov who actually did things to help her State for 2 years?

I'll bet you must be pertrified of Oblama
Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:12 am
First impressions are important, and I'm not impressed at all. Trying to find information on Palin:

Former beauty queen;
Former HS basketball star;
Former sportscaster;
Member of Feminists for Life;
Began political career in 1990 as city councilwoman and then mayor of Wasilla, population 9,700;
Became governor of AK starting in 2007 (less than two years experience);
Embroiled in state personnel controvery concerning her brother-in-law:

Quote:
Since taking office, Palin herself has become the subject of a legislative probe involving a personnel case. The investigation centers on her dismissal of the state's public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan.

Palin fired Monegan on July 11, saying she wanted to take the department in a new direction. Monegan then alleged that he had been pressured to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was married to Palin's sister and was involved in a contentious divorce, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

Palin has denied any wrongdoing. The state Legislature voted on July 28 to hire an independent investigator to probe whether Palin, her family or members of her administration had pressured Monegan to fire Wooten, according to the Daily News.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aC9MxEltIbSw&refer=us

Again, NOT IMPRESSED.

Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo: Please tell us what Palin has actually done "to help her State for 2 years." How is she more qualified to lead this country than Senator Obama? Tell me why my first impression of this shocking newbie is wrong.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
@Debra Law,
You are not looking very hard.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6879502891007095526&ei=EC-4SKHqI4mSrwK8lY3zDA&q=palin&vt=lf&hl=en

http://www.palinforamerica.com/
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
@Debra Law,
You totally missed: Life Member of the NRA

Go Sarah! You rock!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:27 am
So, having predicted that McCain would do this months ago, I got a lot of phone calls from my relatives today asking how I knew this would happen!

But interestingly enough, none of the female ones liked her all that much. And these were strong Clinton supporters; she's sort of the anti-Hillary, strongly pro-life and without a ton of experience. A few of them were downright offended, lol.

I don't think, after the first day wears off, that this will shake up the race one bit. It's a hail-mary pass for McCain... exciting at first, but those have a very low rate of success.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
@Debra Law,
This is interesting.
maporsche

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You don't think that this may draw some moderate women voters to the voting booth?

While many of Clinton's voters were democrats there had to have been significant numbers of moderate women who were enamored with the chance to vote for a woman.....there is, I think, I good chance of them moving over to McCain's ticket now.

Of course, I could be wrong.