Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:03 am
I've noticed that there has been a hell of a lot of anti-women, anti-feminist and blatant misogynistic posts on here, so I thought I'd explain to you all why I'm a feminist.

I'm a feminist because I believe in gender equality between men, women, and other genders.

I'm a feminist because of the pay gap, a white woman with a Doctorate earns less than a white man with a Bachelor's degree. Black women, Asian women and other women of colour earn less than this.

I'm a feminist because women can't talk about struggles without being talked over with "but men have trouble too!"

I'm a feminist because rape, sexual assault and domestic abuse is often a gendered crime and happens far too often, women are constantly made out to be liars when they are victims and men are made to be seen as weak when they're victims.

I'm a feminist because of the terms "man up" and "boys don't cry", making little boys insecure, telling them they're weak if they do anything feminine which can overall lead to violence and suicide in men.

I'm a feminist because promiscuous women are "sluts" and "whores" and women who don't like sex are "boring" and "prudes". This attacks women who say yes, women who say no, and women who call you out on it are "bitches".

I'm a feminist because a man's orgasm is rated 15 at cinemas but a woman's orgasm is rated 18. At the same time a woman's attack is rated 15, so you can see a woman be killed but not be pleasured.

I'm a feminist because "friendzone" and "girls just go for arseholes!" is men's way of attacking women for only dating men they're actually attracted to and screams male entitlement of thinking that women are machines where you put in niceness tokens until sex drops out.

I'm a feminist because sex is not a human right.

I'm a feminist because "no" does not mean "persuade me".

I'm a feminist because too many men think it's perfectly okay to try and persuade an unwilling partner, tell them they have to, sleep with them because they've had too much to drink or are unconscious or force them because they've "slept with everyone else anyway".

I'm a feminist because no, not all men are sexual attackers but far too many men are, and all women have experienced sexism from men.

I'm a feminist because cat calls are NOT a compliment. They can be aggressive, scary, and even something like "good morning beautiful" can make us feel super uncomfortable if we don't know who you are or what you might do. Unwelcome comments should be kept to yourself.

I'm a feminist because girls still feel the need to pretend they don't masturbate when boys talk about it openly.

I'm a feminist because an ugly girl going for an attractive guy is "desperate" and an attractive girl denying an ugly guy is a "shallow bitch".

I'm a feminist because I don't want to have to find a friend to watch my drink just because I need to take a piss.

I'm a feminist because women are often silent instead of rejecting men in fear of being attacked or hurt.

I'm a feminist because women blame themselves when a man doesn't find them attractive, but a man blames the woman.

I'm a feminist because non-straight people are seen as "trying to make other people gay" whereas you can get baby clothes that say "Chicks dig chubby dudes" or "I'm a princess looking for a prince" - essentially forcing heterosexuality upon children before they can even move their neck muscles.

I'm a feminist because the only thing that's a "yes" is an enthusiastic, sober, conscious "yes!", not a "maybe" or silence, or drunken slurring.

I'm a feminist because bisexual women are constantly just seen as an opportunity for straight men's threesome fantasies.

I'm a feminist because of bi erasure, people trying to put bisexual people into a monosexual identity.

I'm a feminist because bisexual women are seen as secretly straight and bisexual men are seen as secretly gay - meaning you can only be attracted to men.

I'm a feminist because people still think that asexual people, pansexual people and trans* people don't exist.

I'm a feminist because of transmisogyny, lesbians being sexualised, black women being stereotyped as "wild in bed" whereas asian women are "cute schoolgirls."

I'm a feminist because asking men not to treat women like dirt means women are beaten down, given death threats and rape threats.

I'm a feminist because women are only valued via their sexual attractiveness, meaning overweight, elderly, sick and even 30+ women are seen as worthless.

I'm a feminist because "but we gave you the vote!" doesn't mean we're equal, and really one group of people never really should have the right to take human rights from another group of people.

I'm a feminist because we live in a society where a fifteen year old girl is seen as sexier than a forty year old woman.

I'm a feminist because women go out for the night thinking "how do I avoid sexual assault"?

I'm a feminist because "trends men hate" may be red lipstick, caps, beanies, etc whereas "trends women hate" are not being attacked, insulted or even murdered just for saying no.

I'm a feminist because "no" is a complete sentence.

I'm a feminist because I know I'm going to be getting a series of very personal attacks based on this post, most likely littered with misogynist slurs.

I'm a feminist because we don't have gender equality yet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 14,458 • Replies: 541

 
izzythepush
 
  3  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:07 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
Unfortunately a lot of sad, pathetic, "men" on A2K don't understand, or choose not to understand, what feminism really is. Expect a load of flak from the usual bunch of lowlives.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:17 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
TheSubliminalKid wrote:
I'm a feminist because we don't have gender equality yet.
In the physical world,
NO 2 things r equal; not even snowflakes, nor identical twins.





David
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
what feminism really is.
A filosofy to promote women?? I dunno.





David
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to change things. Hundreds of years ago your ancestors didn't have the vote.
Squeakybro
 
  -4  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:24 am
Women-Rebelling


Acts 13:1-13
1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
5 And when they arrived in Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews. They also had John as their assistant.
6 Now when they had gone through the island to Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew whose name was Bar-Jesus,
7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.
8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so his name is translated) withstood them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith.
9 Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him
10 and said, "O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?
11 "And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time." And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand.
12 Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had been done, being astonished at the teaching of the Lord.
13 Now when Paul and his party set sail from Paphos, they came to Perga in Pamphylia; and John, departing from them, returned to Jerusalem.
Acts 13:46-14:4
46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, "It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles.
47 "For so the Lord has commanded us: 'I have set you as a light to the Gentiles, that you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.' "
48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.
49 And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.
50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.
51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium.
52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
CHAPTER 14
1 Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed.
2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren.
3 Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.
4 But the multitude of the city was divided: part sided with the Jews, and part with the apostles.
Acts 14:5-19
5 And when a violent attempt was made by both the Gentiles and Jews, with their rulers, to abuse and stone them,
6 they became aware of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding region.
7 And they were preaching the gospel there.
8 And in Lystra a certain man without strength in his feet was sitting, a cripple from his mother's womb, who had never walked.
9 This man heard Paul speaking. Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed,
10 said with a loud voice, "Stand up straight on your feet!" And he leaped and walked.
11 Now when the people saw what Paul had done, they raised their voices, saying in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!"
12 And Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker.
13 Then the priest of Zeus, whose temple was in front of their city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates, intending to sacrifice with the multitudes.
14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this, they tore their clothes and ran in among the multitude, crying out
15 and saying, "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them,
16 "who in bygone generations allowed all nations to walk in their own ways.
17 "Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness."
18 And with these sayings they could scarcely restrain the multitudes from sacrificing to them.
19 Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.
Acts 14:20-22
20 However, when the disciples gathered around him, he rose up and went into the city. And the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch,
22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, "We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God."
1 Cor 12:4-5
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
1 Cor 12:12-14
12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body-- whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free-- and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
1 Cor 12:17-20
17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling?
18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.
19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?
20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body.
1 Cor 12:11
11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
1 Cor 11:1-3
1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.
3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
1 Cor 7:1-5
1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.
3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
1 Cor 7:7-11
7 For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that.
8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;
9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.
1 Cor 7:17-20
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches.
18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
1 Cor 7:25-29
His mercy has made trustworthy.
26 I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress-- that it is good for a man to remain as he is:
27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.
29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none,
1 Cor 7:32-33
32 But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord-- how he may please the Lord.
33 But he who is married cares about the things of the world-- how he may please his wife.
(NKJ)
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
U know, if u stop to think about it:
EVERYTHING that we do every day is to CHANGE something;
otherwise, we need do nothing. Remain motionless.





David
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  5  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:26 am
Glad to see you, Subliminal Kid.
I agree with all of that, the only quibble being that I'd use the word 'some' in a lot of those of those sentences, but that's really understood already, at least by me (a woman).
0 Replies
 
TheSubliminalKid
 
  3  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There's a difference between equality and... that. Whatever that was.
OmSigDAVID
 
  3  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:30 am

Permit me to point out to all
(not including Izzy, who does not need this advice):
the longer u make your post, the less likely it will be
than anyone will invest the time & labor necessary to read your post.
Thay will not complain, just ignore it.





David
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:30 am
@Squeakybro,
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3576480562/06b81cc03fb1a5c765c5b55b9ab23b75_400x400.jpeg

You're a bigot, a fascist, and a hateful religious nutjob. Go to Hell, (it's full of people like you.)
izzythepush
 
  3  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Brevity is the soul of wit.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:33 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
TheSubliminalKid wrote:
There's a difference between equality and... that. Whatever that was.
Tell us your gender ?





David
TheSubliminalKid
 
  3  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Too bad there's so many reasons we need feminism.
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:34 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
This will be fun. I agree with you on several issues including equal pay and LGBT issues. So let's jump in where I disagree with you.

1. Anti-feminist is not the same as anti-woman (there are plenty of anti-feminists who are themselves women). Anti-feminism is a backlash against the excesses of feminism, particularly in attacking men and sometimes being silly in cultural criticism.

2. I am an anti-feminist because, while I agree with some of the stated goals of feminism, I object to the overall narrative.

I object to the basic mythology that women are victims of a male-based power system. The problem with this mythology is that it is injecting itself in how we teach are kids, how we judge social interactions and even how we run our justice system.

Look at how you are portraying male female relationships. I am a single middle-aged man who has raised boys through adolescence. I have seem how cruel girls can be to adolescent boys. Your point about overweight women over the age of 30 made me laugh (have you tried being a overweight single man over the age of 30)?

3. The real problem with feminism is that everything is viewed through the same narrow mythology. Every interaction is viewed through the idea that man is asserting power and the woman are victims.

I laugh at some of the claims that are made. They aren't true in the world in which I live in.

4. I hope this discussion can take place without personal attacks. In my experience they go both ways. You will not get a personal attack from me. However, I will argue my opinion.

maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of sad, pathetic, "men" on A2K don't understand, or choose not to understand, what feminism really is. Expect a load of flak from the usual bunch of lowlives.


Izzy... did you read the part about no personal attacks? (I love irony)
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Your point about overweight women over the age of 30 made me laugh (have you tried being a overweight single man over the age of 30)?


How do you suggest she goes about that?
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
Yea; I remember when Winston Churchill flashed that sign;
V for victory! He was Right. I held him in high esteem.





David
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Brevity is the soul of wit.
Indeed !
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  0  
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:38 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
I am wondering SubliminalKid, are you really open for a respectful discussion with different opinions being expressed?

If this turns into another echo chamber of people who all agree, I am out of here.
 

Related Topics

Oddities and Humor - Discussion by edgarblythe
Let's play "Caption the Photo" II - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Funny Pictures ***Slow Loading*** - Discussion by JerryR
Caption The Cartoon - Discussion by panzade
Geek and Nerd Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Caption The Cartoon Part Deux - Discussion by panzade
IS IT OK FOR ME TO CHEAT? - Question by Setanta
2008 Election: Political Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Why I'm a feminist.
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/16/2019 at 09:01:01