izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:06 pm
@Squeakybro,
I'm not mad at you, you're not important enough to get mad about. You're a pathetic little man with very little education or understanding, using the Bible to make sense of your petty prejudice and pitiful existence.

Btw, God didn't write The Bible, men wrote The Bible. And for the most part men who had never heard of soap, which is probably something you've both got in common.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:07 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:

Its your lose not mine if you don't know it.

Yup, definitely uneducated.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're a pathetic little man with very little education or understanding

Is the personal attack really necessary, Izzy?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Because we don't have it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Religious nutters who attack women and gays should be treated the same as every other bigot. They're just using their religion as an excuse.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
My problem is with mainstream feminism.

In my opinion, the mythology surrounding mainstream feminism has led to unfounded premises being accepted as fact and questionable policy choices being made.

The initial post is a very good description of my impression of modern mainstream feminism. And that is why, although I have no problem with equality and treating women with respect, I do absolutely have a problem with feminism. There is a lot more doctrine that goes along with feminism than just equality.

Why isn't equality and respect good enough?

izzythepush wrote:

Because we don't have it.

My issue is the mythology surrounding mainstream feminism that sees every social interaction through the lens of men's oppression of women.

Take the doctrine of "rape culture" (which came up earlier on this thread). The idea of "rape culture" is that cat calling (or whatever behavior is being criticized) makes rape more likely by signaling societies acceptance of rape.

The idea of "rape culture" is accepted as religious truth by many even though there is no factual basis for this claim. Once saying "hi sweetheart" becomes equated to rape, having any reasonable discussion about public social interactions becomes impossible.

It would be easier to have real reasoned discussions about these issues if we didn't have the baggage that comes along with the ideology.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The initial post is a very good description of my impression of modern mainstream feminism.

So you're saying that women complaining about bad things that happen to them is worse than the bad things happening.

This is the reality of the abuse women are subjected to on a daily basis. Don't you think this is something we should try to stop? Instead you're having a go at the women who want it to stop.

Quote:
Woman who campaigned for Jane Austen bank note receives Twitter death threats
The woman who convinced the Bank of England to make Jane Austen the new face of the £10 note has received rape and death threats from Twitter users.
Feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez received around 50 abusive tweets an hour for a 12-hour period after she successfully campaigned for the British writer to feature on the bank note.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10207231/Woman-who-campaigned-for-Jane-Austen-bank-note-receives-Twitter-death-threats.html
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
My issue is the mythology surrounding mainstream feminism that sees every social interaction through the lens of men's oppression of women.

No it doesn't. That's in your head. It's called paranoia.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:22 pm
@izzythepush,
I have received twitter death threats (you may find that hard to believe due to my pleasant disposition and easy-going nature, but it is true). Why is it news when anyone get's twitter death threats?

Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:27 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
I'm a feminist too but for a shorter list of reasons. E.g. IMO young people will always be seen by the majority as sexier than older people. Don't attack too many windmills...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:32 pm
@izzythepush,
I am happy believing in equality and respect for women. I am not happy with the other parts of feminism. If I felt I could be a feminist without feeling uncomfortable for accepting religious doctrines like "rape culture", I might be a feminist.

I don't like the "ism" in feminism. The ideology goes too far in my opinion.

That is why I accept equality and respect and choose to leave it there.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Over 50 an hour?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:45 pm
@maxdancona,
I have no idea about what you mean by rape culture. It might mean something to you, but it means nothing to me.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
http://able2know.org/topic/258678-2#post-5806253
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:55 pm
@maxdancona,
You mean a culture where women are objectified. You certainly don't hear cases of 15 year old boys in school uniform being harassed by women. It never happened to me.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
This sums it up quite well.

Short, to the point, and very funny.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You certainly don't hear cases of 15 year old boys in school uniform being harassed by women. It never happened to me.

That's because you weren't cute enough. ;-)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:07 pm
@Olivier5,
I'd have had to have been very cute indeed. Girls get harassed regardless of whether they're cute or not.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You mean a culture where women are objectified.

If you stuck to equality and respect, I would be fine going along. The ideology of feminism goes to far based on the mythology that views every social interaction through the lens of men's oppression of women.

1. You say our culture objectifies women. Men in the NFL and NBA are routinely turned into stats based on physical attributes. If that isn't objectification, I don't know what is. What I approve of, or disapprove of depends on each case. You will have to give me an example what you think is a person being "objectified" to see if I agree or not. But I think the ideological narrative that women are as a whole "objectified" by men is somewhat sketchy.

2. Of I am against 15 year old girls being harassed by men. I am also against 15 year old boys being harassed by women. Again the mythology of men's oppression of women says that the latter doesn't happen. That clearly isn't true. There are far too many instances of boys being raped by adult women.

Any of these cases should be prosecuted.

There are many issues where I agree with you (and many feminists). I am not willing to swallow the ideology other than equality and respect.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:16 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know anything about NFL or NBA, or what you do, but I doubt the stats talk about their bottoms.

Quote:
I am also against 15 year old boys being harassed by women. Again the mythology of men's oppression of women says that the latter doesn't happen.

Nobody says it doesn't happen, but to the same extent? Most boys will walk to and from school without being honked at or catcalled all their school lives. For a lot of girls it's a daily occurrence.