maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Let me try to explain again...

The problem I have with feminism is that it is an ideology. It comes with a narrative and set of assumptions that many people think shouldn't be questioned.

Anytime there is an ideology with assumptions that shouldn't be questioned, I question them. In particular I think that much of the narrative that is common when discussing feminism goes far more than just equality and respect. This excess hurts public interactions and can sometimes have a bad influence on public policy discussion.

I believe that women are equal to men and should be treated as such in every way, and women (and everyone else) should feel safe and respected in society. There are many things that I agree with.

But there are things that I disagree with. It should be OK for reasonable people to disagree.

The reason I reject feminism is the reason I reject most "isms". I don't think it is a good thing when named ideology becomes more important than the ideas behind it.

I don't like it when questioning an ideology becomes a sin.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, I'm not going to waste anymore time on this. You know why, you won't admit it and I think everybody is on to you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Let me try to explain again...

The problem I have with feminism is that it is an ideology. It comes with a narrative and set of assumptions that many people think shouldn't be questioned.

I don't think so. I think that's MaxWorld again.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
He seems to believe he talking about religion.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

At the end of the day, what do you care about any ideology? Making a huge deal out of 'feminism' strikes me just as useless as making a huge deal out of 'machism'... The only important thing is to try and protect our sons and daughters from injustice. The rest is rhetorical. So if you have precise issues with precise policies, fine, otherwise the ranting seems a bit vain to me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes, he's turning a political movement into an ideology. MaxWorld.
Germlat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:07 pm
@maxdancona,
You reject "isms"... How about "istics"... Chauvinistic, idealistic. Moralistic, ....please tell me where you draw the line at free speech...maybe it's at "onics", as in moronic, histrionic, etc....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:07 pm
@izzythepush,
He hasn't understood anything anyone has posted about his personal definition of feminism over the years.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:15 pm
If I said the phrase "echo chamber"... would you all freak out?

What the hell. This is again an echo chamber. If you all agree with each other to the point that you drown out anyone who disagrees, there isn't much room for reasonable discussion.

But there isn't much I can do about that, is there.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:19 pm
@maxdancona,
No, you would need to have a clue.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If I said the phrase "echo chamber"... would you all freak out?

What the hell. This is again an echo chamber.
If you all agree with each other to the point that you drown out anyone who disagrees,
there isn't much room for reasonable discussion.

But there isn't much I can do about that, is there.

U can tell us HOW we can get others to DISagree with us,
so as to engender the conditions that u crave
(but peacefully please, no inordinate gunfire).

David
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Just to clarify, I agree with some of what you say and I am not part of any mob here... But it seems misguided to me to take issue with feminism when what you are trully concerned about is reverse sexism.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
so as to engender the conditions that u crave.

I am really just asking for a reasonable person to have a reasonable conversation with. This person would have to accept that one can disagree with parts of feminism while still believing in respect and equality for women.

I am having trouble finding such a reasonable person. You are right that I can't do anything to make people be reasonable.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
It's not reasonable to expect everyone else to share your irrational belief that feminism is an ideology.

I really don't know what your problem is. You take issue something one person says on the internet. When you are made aware of the extent of the problem you accept it is a problem.

Then you go off grid, you describe one person's reasoning as a manifesto, which it's clearly not. You invent a whole lot of stuff up about ideology, you have problems accepting things that happen unless they're part of your own experience. For some inexplicable reason you feel threated by feminism, and seem to lack all rationality when discussing it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:48 pm
@maxdancona,
DAVID wrote:
so as to engender the conditions that u crave.
maxdancona wrote:
I am really just asking for a reasonable person to have a reasonable conversation with.
This person would have to accept that one can disagree with parts
of feminism while still believing in respect and equality for women.
For my part, I respect many beings, but I remain skeptical
that any being is equal to any other being; not even identical twins. (Thay, themselves, will TELL u.)

David
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
I think the issue is more that you are trying to define feminism in the way that anti-feminists want you to define it. If a black man commits a crime, some people will tell you that it is because all black people are prone to crime, but reasonable people know that is not true. That doesn't stop racists from painting it that way in order to further their agendas. If a "feminist" makes a misandrist comment, that doesn't mean that comment is representative of feminism. Sure, Rush will tell it does just the same as he will tell you that a woman speaking up for contraception is a slut, but that doesn't make it so. Women have been telling their daughters to look out for boys for centuries, but for some reason you now consider that as part of the feminist movement. It is not. There has been a concerted effort to paint feminism as "man hating" or as a movement where women are seeking superiority over men. Women who advocate for equal rights are alternately ridiculed or reviled, subjected to Internet hate campaigns and death threats, called lesbians and whores... and this campaign is working very well. Women are afraid to say they are feminists because this smear campaign has been so effective. That you are here, an avowed anti-feminist, telling us what feminism is shows just how effective that campaign has been. You are defining feminism the way Glenn Beck wants you to and then railing against it. You can't find a reasonable person to have a conversation with because a reasonable person doesn't accept your starting definition. You might as well start a thread to discuss why someone won't stop beating their wife.

Why am I a feminist? Because I have a daughter who is ridiculously smart, insanely athletic and who has big dreams even at her young age. All the time, people tell me "you shouldn't let her ride her bike to her piano lesson" even though it is five blocks away in an upper middle class suburban neighborhood with sidewalks or "You shouldn't let her dress like that" even though she is wearing comfortable and appropriate clothes. I'm going to treat my daughter like I treat my sons so that she will hopefully grow up to maximize her potential and to hell with anyone who tells me that she doesn't deserve the opportunities that every boy assumes as his birthright.
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:26 pm
Hear hear
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:40 pm
@engineer,
I love a great dad. I had one....believe me your daughter(s) will be stronger for it. Your efforts will pay-off.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:50 pm
There's no such thing as gender equality. Go ahead, call me a sexist. Your knee-jerk words have no weight. In fact, it gives me more power over you because I base my reasoning on evidence, not emotion. My actions towards males & females may not be equal - maybe that's because it takes honesty to approach them differently. They are consisted of entirely different biological frame works - when I go to war, I can talk about it with the guys, but when it comes to women, it's not the same thing - why? It's because of the biological frame work - men and women pick up and interact with everything differently.

I treat men and women differently as I treat different cultures differently. I'm not going to treat a woman like I treat a man - I am not going to treat china like I treat america.

There is a reason why we are different, have different ideas, different interests and different identities.

It's not because I'm a sexist - it's because leading the feminist way makes you a fear-mongering narcissist. Every single time someone argues a feminist, the auto-claim you are a sexist comes up because feminists are insane and ******* politically ingrained into people's brains. Every time the media is on the people's side, is when you need to split or the atoms inside you will do it for you, which creates only madness.When we were giving women rights back in the 19th century the term "feminism" NEVER EXISTED - yet women were given rights to vote. Their votes are not equal - their biological frame work is also not equal - we're all equal only in the sense that we were all born at point zero - after that we're all branching off in this biological tapestry.

Not even stupidity can be equal...
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:51 pm
@Germlat,
What Germlat said x 4.
0 Replies