New old dog: it's love again.

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:17 pm
I've adopted an older dog - long story I'll explain some other time.
We've been together a couple of hours now. She's a love. Great eyes, fabulous ears, nice long nose, friendly demeanor. She's graceful; she's not a jumper. We're still learning but I think we'll be fine. I don't know how old she is yet, but there's a chance the vet and I will find out. I'd guess eight..
She's guarding me right now, her back to the kitchen, eye to the front door and the street... probably from the two small dogs across the street who seem to inhabit, a lot of the time, an iron gated space outside their front door.

She's what seems to be called a czech shepherd and has a lovely coat of beautiful colors that presently needs a good brushing - and I still have my dog brushes. I don't appear to be crazy allergic, which I have been to some dogs (famously, to me, a poodle of a friend, but also somewhat to our irish setter back in the seventies; not to Pacco or a certain doberman).
Her name is Katy.

This is not her photo but close enough for now. Actually, it's way off.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/CzechShepherd_laying_down_on_belly_in_yard.JPG

She's prettier, if I do say so, though I'd probably like the photo dog too - Katy has great eyes and eyebrows, more black throughout including her ears, and most of the light bits more bronze; her paws remind me of my Sandpaw of yore, along with those eyebrows.

We go see Pacco's vet for a good checkup on Thursday. I don't see dysplasia but then I'm no pro at that.

Here's to dogs, old and new!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 39 • Views: 53,624 • Replies: 745

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:21 pm
Congratulations on a new family member. Sounds great.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
All of this reminds me of three people - a doctor I worked with many years ago, Mike Derechin, who raised german shepherds and was a great story teller, having been a lit major or maybe he could tell stories before that, and A2k's Roberta. And Timber.
boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:46 pm
Hurrah! This is wonderful news.

I'm so happy for the both of you!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
How wonderful Osso. I hope you bring each other tons of love and good times. I adore big dogs, they are so lovable. Katy's a great name too.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm so happy for both of you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh osso, I am so glad that you've decided to be a dog mom again.
Tell us a bit more about Katy! How did she get into your heart and home?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:16 pm
@Ceili,
We have to figure out the go out system. I'm starting indian bell training but who knows if it'll take.

Katy has some heft. We'll see what the doc says. I'm reviewing older a2k threads re food. In my case I want it not to be a concoction of crappola but also not bank breaking for no good reason.
I'm not ruling out dog park-ing, but not yet until we know each other better re our signals. So walking is in my immediate scope.
Also have been looking at recipes for dog treats. I could get into baking those..
especially little bits, for training mode.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
Not yet - it's complicated - but I just met her this afternoon.
firefly

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Congratulations, osso. I hope you and Katy will be very happy together and bring much joy to each other.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Happy for you; happy for Katy. I bet you're a match made in heaven. Be cautious walking for awhile if she's as big as I sense she is.

Good picture, and Katy's better looking? I look forward to meeting her once you are both settled in. Hope she likes me as much as Pacco seemed to. Pacco liked lots of people, of course.
msolga

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Big smile on my face as I read your news, osso. Very Happy

Wonderful!

Let's face it, your valiant attempts at remaining a dog-less person have been a dismal failure! Wink
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:58 pm
@roger,
Great News! Katy will soon realize how lucky she is to have found you.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
best wishes to the both of yous.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Well well well. Good news.
We have a sleigh bel set hanging on the back door knob and the dogs just go to the jinge bells and snoot or paw them a bit and someone will let em out.
Easy peazy .
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, John.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Thanks, Rock.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Olga. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:15 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, the pacc would do that. I need to simonize the system.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:21 pm
@msolga,
Yes, hug Olga!

Man, this dog has as much angel hair as Pacco did. I call it that since it tends to waft to wall bases and corners. Wondering if it's the same two coat system and now is shedding time.

Front house lights off, she's now covering the border of the back of the house.