New old dog: it's love again.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:40 pm
@Ceili,
I could do that - I eat a moderate amount of brown rice, cooking it and freezing in packets. Am eating ground pork more, since it's less expensive than beef and I've figured how to make it not taste like cardboard worms. But I could do beef once a month and package it for the freezer. Hmm. Plan to get Katy used to kibble as IT first. She gobbled some more up this evening after I got home, with something like a fingernail-amount of roast chicken.

Roger got to see her today, and then we went out for pie.

On the treats, I'll post some links. There's a lot out there, including Martha Stewart recipes. One recipe involves canned pumpkin, some have peanut butter, some have oats or was it oatmeal. Some of the recipes are aimed as a way to deter fleas (how? they include brewer's yeast), but we don't seem to have those here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:47 pm
@Ragman,
Good idea re fenced park, and thanks for the food tips, Rags.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
yvw
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:11 pm
@Irishk,
So what kind of doggie is Jack? You probably said at some point but I forget..
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 02:40 am
Photos?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 08:08 am
@dlowan,
That'll require my getting my computer's equivalent to Windows' My Pictures somehow reinstalled. I'm exploring how.
I may resort to digging out my old camera, buying film, getting it developed, and then scanning the photos. Would rather get IPhoto to work. I'm a slow poke at this tech stuff.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:13 am
@ossobuco,
He's a Boykin spaniel. The rescue people had already been calling him Jack for a while, so we decided it was best not to confuse him by changing it. He's become somewhat hard of hearing over the years, but hearing his name and he's suddenly alert. He also likes the word 'treat' lol.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 08:39 pm
@Irishk,
From google images, a Boykin Spaniel - ooooh!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images23/BoykinSpanielsJacksonPawlysIslandBoykins.JPG

Day 3 of being with Katy -
(I promise I won't keep this thread up forevermore, or at least not at this pace)

- I get up first - I'm an early bird if a stupid one at that time - I first wake around 5 a.m., and she's still sleeping, so I tip toe. Somewhere after six she stirs and I let her out to the back footage.

She gets herself water. About a half hour later she is making food seeking moves.
This time it's kibble, water, maybe a tablespoon's heft of my scrambled eggs before I added the curry. She scarfed it.

We had a normalish day, big adventures being put off until I get the right apparatus for control. Also, my neck hurts from yesterday, as she had heeled but not always jauntily.

I found out she won't open a slightly closed back door, to go back in the house, even though I am next to her saying GO and she understands the word in other contexts; similar to her not being interested in nosing certain indian bells. Ah, Pacco used to be afraid of doors and purses..
Later, she was fine GOing through a more open door.

Roger was in town today and stopped by. She acted gladnesses to see him.
She has this paw giving thing. You hold the paw and she'll lick your hand.
Very dear.

We leave for a quick dinner and ice cream stop, come back, and she's very happy to see me, the woman who is going to give her dinner. This is good.
He leaves for long drive home. Katy gets her dinner.
I avoid giving her my "doggy bag" leftover.
She eats most of the kibble.

Side action, I got the car sort of Katy ready.
roger

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:25 pm
@ossobuco,
A gorgeous little dog she is, and I would say that even if she didn't like me and have the sweetest temperment you ever beheld. Yes, she puts out one paw to be held. And then the other. Next thing you know, you're holding a lot of dog.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:05 pm
@roger,
Diane has also met Katy, not very long after I did. Well, they are bosom buddies, I just know it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 06:05 am
@roger,
Awwwww.........!

This is so nice, all of it!

And great news about the scarfing, Osso!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 06:11 am
@ossobuco,
A real pleasure reading your Katy posts, osso & your enjoyment of her company.
She sounds such a good dog! Smile
Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 06:32 am
@ossobuco,
I'm happy for you and Katie. (Late to the thread as always.) Maybe she doesn't like the cat smell on Roger. Guess you and him just can't be friends anymore then.

Oh. "If she didn't like me." Conjunctive. I guess all is well, then.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:42 am
@ossobuco,
I'm beginning to think Katy has a world full of bosom buddies just waiting to be met.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@ossobuco,
Congrats to you and Katy!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:11 am
@ossobuco,
Your photo is spot on of our Jack (in his winter coat -- we keep him much shorter during the summer months).

I LIKE your Katy updates SmileSmileSmile Keep 'em coming, please.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:29 am
No scarfing this morning. Shocked
Maybe it'll be a repeat of Sunday (was it Sunday?), when she was distainful until later in the day.

Hi, littlek, so good to see you. Hi, Thomas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:36 am
@msolga,
She is such a good dog! Those eyes... those eyes..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:52 am
On Friday, when I found out I was getting her that day, I stopped one of my neighbors as she was leaving to tell her and also add that we might have a bark fest happening soon. A few years ago I had reassured her I didn't mind her dog barking, liking as I do the sound of dogs. Well, most of the time.

No bark fest. Katy has barked three times now: once a single bark in her sleep, once re someone coming to the door, and today, when I was in the back of the house, at the front door - a distributor had left a flyer. Good girl! She got a thank you treat for that.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:06 pm
@ossobuco,
There when you need her; not intrusive when you don't. I know a couple of waiters who could take lessons.
0 Replies