New old dog: it's love again.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:20 pm
@Ragman,
Good question.
back when I worked in the med world, some pharmacies in medical buildings and also near by community hospitals were sparkling and extremely expensive, I've no idea of the data re what drugstores of what histories charged for the same items, but my impression back then was way less. This all probably relates to the sad matter of scale.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
To my definition and understanding, they are either the biggest or near the top of this retail environment. To my knowledge, they're considered as a discount retailer. However, I'd not put them in the same 'cut-rate' shlock or non-credible category as Walmart, as an example.

Did you know in 2010 they bought up/acquired New York City-area chain Duane Reade. They promptly they closed their flopping Walgreen stores and left the Duane Reade name on the existing profitable storefronts.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:29 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, I did, but not the details.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:35 pm
@Ragman,
Well, hey, I spent hundreds, even thousands of dollars for eye drops (something like nineteen kinds over time, some over $100. each small vial), mildly reimbursed by my then insurance company that continued extracting much a month just to belong.
It never occurred to me that Walgreen's was discount.
Ok, ok, we can rant on all this on another place.

I'll be back when I know more, re Katy and her photos.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry about the sidetrack. Of course, what matters here is the care and respect that this particular store showed you and the sentimental value of those images. When you are ready to share, I'd love to see them.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:51 pm
@Ragman,
I know, I'm just arguing as is my way on other stuff.

Of all people, I'm one you can feel fine sidetracking. That's my way.

firefly

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:59 pm
@Ragman,
I don't consider Walgreen's a discount chain. Other than their weekly sales, they sell items at full retail price.

I rarely shop at Walgreen's any more because I save considerably more money at CVS. While CVS isn't a discount store either, I am constantly getting e-mails giving me 20--30% off my next purchase, or $5 off if I spend $30, and I add these discounts to my CVS card by just going to their Web site and clicking on a button, and they are automatically applied when I make purchases in the store. And my register receipts often have several dollars worth of CVS free bucks that can be applied to any purchase. They know I'm a loyal customer and they keep rewarding me for that. Smile Walgreen's doesn't woo customers that way.

I also find that CVS has better sales than Walgreen's, at least on items I tend to purchase. On the other hand, I prefer the pharmacy dept. at my nearest Walgreen's to that in CVS--it's smaller, more personal, and, on some drugs, the prices are better. So, having to fill a prescription is the only reason that gets me into Walgreen's any more.

The number of CVS stores around here seems to greatly outnumber the Walgreen's.

I'm not aware of any Duane Reades in this area. One store that was a Walgreen's forever morphed into a Rite-Aid. But CVS is everywhere.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I know. We're mutually and similarly afflicted. I become more aware and sensitive to how I discuss some matters as I observe my oldest sister, 78, who's dealing with issues of dementia. etc. It not her dementia that is germane here - it's the way we discuss and dissect trivial issues. I try not to offend or distract; whereas, my sister, just enjoys being in control ...and being the older sister and, as such, the correct one.

By the way regardless of a retailer being a discounter ...pharma is often the category of product not as heavily discounted, to say the least...much to our (those of us on fixed incomes) chagrin. I often see a greater discount at Target or CVS pharma. FWIW, nowadays when I get my scripts 95% or more of the time, I get them from VA hospital.

{Edit: FF, I stand or recline corrected. Perhaps I'm inaccurate. However, I think CVS and Rite-Aid are the ones that merged. Arrgh...no, it was CVS, Eckerd and Brooks and Rite-Aid. it's all a blur.}
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
@Ragman,
We should move this, it's a good thread in the making.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Doing heavy lifting...bending knees.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:39 am
@ossobuco,
I don't quite understand how you pay for prescriptions in America. If you are given one by a doctor or hospital, do you then shop around to get it at different prices? Forgive the ignorance on the subject - I know you have to pay for medical care, but know nothing about scrips and so on. Here, we just pay a standard rate for our prescription medicines, no matter what they consist of. And if you have certain illnesses or exemptions, you get them free.
firefly

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 12:38 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
If you are given one by a doctor or hospital, do you then shop around to get it at different prices?

Yes, that's about the size of it. The price of medication may differ depending on where it's purchased, so people do shop around.

Also, some drugs aren't covered, even with prescription drug coverage, so that pressures people to accept cheaper alternatives, even if that's not really the medication their doctors prefer them to take.

And the exact same drugs may be considerably cheaper in Canada than they are in the U.S.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 07:45 pm
@firefly,
I have the Katy photos, and like the walgreen's woman.

we'll see, I may work my way into posting some.

I've no idea what firefly is talking about.
vonny

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:50 am
@ossobuco,
Be great to see the photos of Katy. Looking forward to you posting some.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 05:35 am
@vonny,
I will post a few, just not right now (I'm late to bed)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 10:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I finally uploaded the later photos of Katy and then put some on photobucket.

There a little hard for me to look at, but also very dear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/2_zps4a94606f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/15_zpsa59c2a6e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/16_zps1779c97b.jpg

More tomorrow.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:20 pm
I love that dog.
Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:57 pm
@roger,
Me too.

Thanks, osso.
boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 06:25 am
@Roberta,
Me three.

Thanks for the photos, osso.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 07:26 am
@ossobuco,
Ah bless her ... so lovely. Thank you for posting the photos - I can see how it has been painful for you. Lovely Katy - good to remember her! Looking forward to seeing more, when you feel up to it.
0 Replies