New old dog: it's love again.

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 02:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Blue Buffalo is a very good brand for the money. After awhile with exercise (and if you keep her on BB) she will balance out with her weight. I would steer away from Purina 1. In a pinch, I've used Iams Pro-Active Health dry kibble when I've run out of BB. This Iams food is meant for older dogs and Brady is 9 yrs. However within a short time when I am able to drive across town I mix in Blue Buffalo to use up the Iams to keep from wasting or giving it away.

BB is a vet-approved premium brand. Grain-free, unlike Iams and premium brands etc., Blue Buffalo doesn't list cereal and other fillers (corn and/or corn meal etc.). Brady really seems to perk up and has more energy with this. Not to be gross but even his stool looks better. He has far less of any gastric issues with it. I also use their canned wet food. He actually prefers it...wheras he usually is indifferent about others.

Either Petco or Pet Smart is where I got the harness and lead. I think they both had it but 90% sure it was Pet Smart. The lead has no brand clearly shown but on the black grip part it says Insta- Grip. That is the only identification so it may not be a brand name.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 02:55 pm
@Ragman,
Is that the handle thing where the lead comes out and can be held at a certain length or snapped back in? I did see those on the petsmart site, but I reject them since one broke when I was walking Pacco, scary as we were on a sidewalk by a busy street in town. Luckily he came when I called him.
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 02:57 pm
@ossobuco,
the ergonomic 5 inch grip slides freely over the strap. This is not the reel-up type. It is a fixed length, if that is what you are asking. I've had the reel-up nylon or elastic type. I don't recommend them. They're suitable for small Yorky type dogs..not bigger dogs.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:00 pm
@Ragman,
This sort of thing?
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-6926597r200.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
No. That is not the type I'd recommend.

Top Paw ... Zoe Collection is a good brand of harness as well as leash sold by Pet Smart, for larger breed dogs. Comfort fit.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767119&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767069&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767119&lmdn=Style&f=PAD%2FStyle+1%2FComfort+Wrap&fbc=1&fbn=Style+1|Comfort+Wrap&fbx=1

The lead most similar to mine is called Kong Control Grip plus:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070844
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 03:21 pm
@ossobuco,
previous post got a little mangled

Kong Control Grip plus harness and lead are most similar to mine:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070844
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 07:28 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you, thank you. I did pick out (to study more) a couple of Top Paw products..

back when I've cogitated.
Izzie

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:42 am
@ossobuco,
I'm rather late in the day Embarrassed but congratulations Osso - so very happy for you and Katy finding one another. Lovely thread... will be reading along.

x
0 Replies

petsncharms

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 04:50 pm
@ossobuco,
best wishes to both of you. She sounds lovely. I think it is great that you have adopted an older dog and given her the chance of being part of a family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:07 pm
Thank you Izzie and Petsncharms.

Turns out sweetie pie likes rawhide chews. (Pacco was bored with such stuff.)
She's happy with her new kibble, and I've lowered the kibble amount after talking with the vet people.

Time to say that Katy formerly belonged to Roger's sister, who can no longer take care of her. Roger has visited Katy several times now, and it's clear she knows him, is wag tailing glad to see him.

Speaking of tails, that girl has a seriously beautiful tail. (Got to get a photo..)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, Roger told me that his sister also got Katy as a rescue dog, so she's had quite the history with humans.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
So that's why she is so sweet and agreeable - she's had good owners previously - and now she's got another good mommy who will spoil her.
Katy has lucked out!

I can see you two keep each other good company, osso! I am so happy for you!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:30 pm
Got the perfect dog into the perfect home. I feel like matchmaker of the year. By default, it's also my best accomplishment this year to date.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:40 pm
@roger,
Good boy, roger! Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:14 pm
@roger,
You did! You should!!

That worked out so well. I hope your sister is happy with the outcome. You're a good brother.

My best to your sister and I hope all is well for her.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 04:20 am
I'm more than glad to learn that things are going along well.

Still waiting for a photo. Patience is not one of my virtues.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:55 am
@roger,
Quote:
Got the perfect dog into the perfect home. I feel like matchmaker of the year. By default, it's also my best accomplishment this year to date.

And you should be proud of your matchmaking skill--you've brought happiness all around. Smile
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sGk3hMblYUg/S7NzR7mrqdI/AAAAAAAAFLc/M0lTxmWqiAQ/s320/congratulation_graphics_2.gif
Way to go, Roger!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
This is a match made in heaven. It's such a heartwarming story. Cool!
dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 04:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Aaaah.....a CLEAN Rat!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 02:24 pm
@Ragman,
Despite my best efforts - I've been reading reviews on dog harnesses and leashes with many contradictory bits for days now - I've settled on what Rags said, the Easy Walk halter, which I thought I liked before I knew he did (slow to look up his reference), and the Kong (1") leash, which I had no clue of - with a certain trepidation. Well, petsmart accepts returns. Other halters, including the Holt and a Top Paw body type one, are waiting in the aisles. The leash has some critics because it can break. I'm thinking of a secondary hold or securing I could rig.

My existing leash I'm rigging with, believe it or not, the sponge wrap for narrow copper pipes in cold climates, which I just happen to have used as packing filler when I moved, as a grab re my left hand. We'll see. I like the old leash, no dog will gnaw it as in some reviews on the nylon harnesses. Not so easy on my hands, which have, ta da, thenar muscle wasting in the thumbs. I just figured that out this week. Thumbs don't hurt except with certain twists. Haven't hurt so far on Katy walks - just my neck area from the pulling. So, we'll see re the Kong lead.
This is by mail, free shipping with 50.00 purchase. Will report after trial.

I suspect there is room in the dog supply industry for something stronger than the nylon stuff out there, and better attachments - there are lots of online complaints, so I am thinking cheesy.

Next post - dogs in the heat.