High Anxiety

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
Hi. I was wondering why my two-year-old golden goes crazy when my wife comes home, but is relaxed when my son or I come home? Even if she is sleeping and wakes and comes out of the room, he goes nuts. If I get up and come out of the room, he gently comes up to me to say "good morning." I would like to find a way to mellow him out when she gets home
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 7,232 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:16 am
@koreyklr,
I've just been reading The Other End of the the Leash by Patricia McConnell - I'd recommend it as a good resource for this sort of problem. See if your library has it, or can order it for you through inter-library loan. She's sort of the along the lines of Dr. Stanley Coren in terms of explaining dog behaviour.

general dog training tips at her website (great resource)

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/cms-category/dog-training-tips
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:54 am
@koreyklr,
Does your wife feed the dog?
koreyklr

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:14 pm
@Gala,
Thanks for reply. No, she does not feed him. Either my son or I take care of that. It's like he views her as a litter playmate, bouncing around, going nuts. He never grabs shoes or slippers...except when she gets home or gets up, then he immediately runs into a room and comes out with a slipper or sock or something. It drives her insane that he can't just be calm.
Gala

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:44 pm
@koreyklr,
That is pretty interesting and a dilemma. But there has to be a reason for it. Have you had him since he was a puppy? Does she play with him differently, or show more affection towards him than you or your son?
koreyklr

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:33 pm
@Gala,
Not at all. The dog gets plenty of affection from both my nine-year-old and me. He's a family dog who gets lots of love. Yes, we've had him since he was a puppy. Perhaps since he views me as the alpha (pack leader), and I've worked with my son in having the dog view him in the same way, that he may think of the wife as a litter mate, not showing her the same amount of respect. It's pretty bizzare.
kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:37 pm
I think he probably views her as a potential mate and is simply trying to "get some." Does he ever try to hump her leg? Sniff and/or lick her in inappropriate place(s)?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:55 pm
well, how do YOU act when your wife comes thru the door?
The dog is sensing the change in the dynamics in the home.
he's picking up on the energy she brings .
YOU are the lucky dog Smile
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
@koreyklr,
That explains it-- I don't know about you, but I enjoy being in company where I don't feel there's a hierarchy-- it sounds like your alpha training has been successful. Unfortunately, the burden is now on your wife.

Golden Retievers are overbred and can have a tendency to be high strung-- in this case, you've gotten what you bargained for-- a well behaved dog that needs an outlet, again, that's your wife.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:41 am
@koreyklr,
Simple he loves and adores your wife and just puts up with you and your son.
0 Replies