New old dog: it's love again.

roger

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Glad to hear the vets are vetting. Are you going to have to update that rfid implant, or does it matter? I think I've several of the Gentle Leader devices without knowing their purpose. Anyway, it sounds like an excellent device, though I still hope she will become well enough educated that she can properly heel.

I have to be in town on Monday, and am beginning to think it would be best if I arrive Sunday p.m. to avoid the possibility of missing my appointment. I expect to meet Katy and find her up to your description.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:41 pm
@Ceili,
I see the usefulness, am wary - part of what I've treasured with all my dogs, Sandpaw, Kelly, Pacco dono, and now Katy, is their splendid noses. I've a visceral not want to tweek the nose thing as a reaction.

(It's fun to have someone who can smell stuff in this house)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:49 pm
@roger,
I'm updating all four tags. At least two of them are connected to someplace in Texas. And both vets know who I am.

As it is, she sort of heels naturally so far and I'm going to use that. I'm busy tag changing. My tag circles (kept in my keys box) are bigger and stronger. ; )
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds like you're busy with Katy and that's a good thing. There is nothing
like having a four-legged friend around Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
She's been sleeping today, off and on. I almost worried, but when awake she is perky. I think she has had some anxious days.
She is a love bug, loves a nuzzle.
Time to try some music - keep her peppy now, more sleep later.
Hmm, Mendelssohn's italian symphony? Not to make her into my unfavorite saint, Caterina of Siena.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha, she likes Fabrizio de Andre's Coda de Lupo.

Well, sort of.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I bet she has. Had some anxious days, I mean. I don't really know how stress affects dogs, but I hope the present surroundings get her up and going.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:38 pm
I'm glad you found each other. In this sometimes cold cruel world it's nice to have a reliable friend.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm soo soo jealous Osso. Surprised

What a beauty she is! Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hi, Tsar. That's not her photo, that's from google images for czech shepherds.
Katy is stockier (we'll see how long that lasts), not so lengthy or tall. Has wonderful coloring, not that the photo dog doesn't.

It's been a little excruciating for me today in that she didn't want to eat. Well, she didn't want to eat much Friday evening either, but I thought then she might have already been fed. Yesterday she had some kibble in the morning and evening, finally eating it when I added a little broth and a some roast chicken bits.
This morning - 'don't bother me with your food, lady...' , even with a tad of broth and chicken.
Sigh.
Maybe she's used to eating once a day, or that is part of it; more likely, she misses whatever she is used to.
But just now, after our walk, I put her dish down again and she ate.
Yay, the walk went fine, though it's clear heeling isn't her preferred mode. Not a problem so far, she did heel. As the walk gets longer, we'll go to the small park around the bend and I'll give her more leeway.. and by that time the vet and I will have worked out what she wears around her neck and/or nose or trunk..

The weather will be changing over the next month or so to warmer, and the walk will be earlier or later, and then we'll probably run into other dogs.

Do you have any opinion on halters versus that nose thing versus whatever is latest in double chains?
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
What I often do in order to sweeten things up during a mini-food-strike with my dog is make it more appetizing by putting shredded cheese over the kibble.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 02:47 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks, Ragman. I tried to entice her with just a small bite of cheese and she spurned it.. Thought of peanut butter, but decided it was time to walk and then wait.

I figure she might miss canned food, plus not liking this particular kibble (lamb and rice, from a store with not a great selection).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha. I just went to make myself a cheddar cheese quesadilla and as I was putting on the cheese, gave her another chance - she liked it this time.
Irishk

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Our Jack likes a bit of cheese now and then. We generally try to limit him to his dry dog food (no table scraps), but if he's off his feed, I'll sometimes mix some unseasoned cooked hamburger with plain white rice (maybe a half cup total - he's 40 lbs. or so) and that usually does the trick.

He was around 4 or so when we got him as a rescue, but I can't remember any eating problems. He mostly had some separation anxiety if we had to leave him alone in the house...and he really didn't like it when Mr.Irish left him. We tried leaving him in the backyard once, but he dug out (he doesn't do that anymore, though).

There was definitely that 'period of adjustment' for both of us, but it didn't last long as I recall.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 03:58 pm
@Irishk,
I'm a kibble only type too, but I'm thinking of making my own doggie treats if they help with any training (I haven't used treats for training before.) Thanks re the rice and burger. I couldn't do burger (etc) today, as any beef or pork in my freezer has already been cooked, usually with onions and garlic. I'll keep rice in mind.
boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 04:48 pm
osso, I am really enjoying hearing about Katy and you getting acclimatized to one another! I'm a little jealous, really!

I wouldn't worry too much about the not eating at this point. She'll settle in and be right as rain.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 05:06 pm
Good to see you're dogged again!

(now if 'twas a cat!)
Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
If you find a good recipe, please share. I'd love to try this. I wish I could help on the food problem, I've yet to have it... mine are regular pigs. I do know a well exercised dog is usually hungry.
I give mine rice and ground beef at least once a week, it seems to help with all kinds of digestion problems (Murphy's got his fair share of gas!) and they love it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:29 pm
@margo,
As I know you know, I love cats too, I just can't touch them and can get asthma-y if I'm in a house with their presence for too long. Had cats for years with my husband. Call me sneeze woman.

Wonder if Katy is a cat distainer... I sometimes see a local cat meandering between houses, including mine since I have some catmint in the front yard, and plan to add more - it works well here in the city of hot and cold sand.
Back in the day, our dog and the cats were fine together.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
The healthiest food, and the one I've been giving my dog, is called Blue Buffalo. I add to it a decent canned wet food, Iams Proactive Health. This combination worked here almost from day one. Brady was a rescue and as such has a skittish shy personality but responds great to playing toss with a ball in a fenced park. What a difference exercise makes.

My guess is, after about 1 week when the change from whereKaty had lived becomes routine for Katy, the dog should respond nciely to which ever food you and she choose.