New old dog: it's love again.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:33 pm
@vonny,
No on the store; I haven't driven over there yet (I still might cry). I may go tomorrow or Wednesday.
Yes on the digital camera; up until fairly recently I didn't have iPhoto (after a computer crasherama (I forget now which one), and then I got iPhoto and a canon scanner-copier, and then photobucket changed its ways, and between the three of them I'm in an avoidance behavior zone for a bit.
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Didn't you take these misplaced images with your film camera?
vonny

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Good luck when you go to the store. I do so hope something will turn up for you. I hope they'll have a jolly good search for them, if nothing else.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:57 pm
@Ragman,
No. Long story I'm not in the mood for (not against you).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:58 pm
@vonny,
It's been twenty days and we've already had a few fairly lengthy talks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:56 pm
Well, things are resolved. It turned out the store manager I had talked with twice before, and who was sympathetic, was off for a week vacation, and none of the others had followed up - the person he last saw didn't tell the person who could have followed up. But he was there today and so was the sharp photo department person I had first given the film-in-a-walgreen's camera to for processing. He and I watched as the sharp photo person called the place they send the film to, and that went on for what felt like 45 minutes. He and I talked about where the hangup could have been, could it have gone to some other walgreen's? did they - the place they sent the film to - have any kind of backup system? did the film even get there? and he was all agita' re how his message to follow up hadn't gotten through for so long, in his own store. He hovered, she talked with people somewhere. He completely understood about the dog, putting his head down. I asked if the place would have kept the film, and he doubted it, they get scads and scads of film.

It turned out, up in Somewhereville, Someone had transposed the ticket number while typing it in on their computer. So they had the disc of the developed photos, but had no idea what store the strange ticket number indicated. But they kept it, in case some Walgreen's somewhere called about it.

I'll get them soon. Of course I started in with the crying, just light happy tears.

Manager said "we'll learn from this, how to deal with this kind of situation better in the future".

To answer yesterday's question, Ragman, my good nikon is somehow befuddled, apparently from lack of use since it was fine last I used it, as I can't get the usual dialing of apertures/speed to change. Am not now easily able to get that fixed, whatever is going on. I had put in new batteries. Plan to look into it when my ship comes in.
Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:00 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, Glad, glad, glad you'll have the photos. Very glad. I admire your persistence.
vonny

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh Osso, that's brilliant - such good news. I am really happy for you. So nice, for once, to hear of a good outcome to something like this. Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:17 pm
@Roberta,
I'm a persistant bitch, Robbie. Not always, but when I have been, it's tended to pay off. Perhaps I forget times it didn't.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:28 pm
@vonny,
Things usually have some explanation - except when they don't. Glad this one did.

I also didn't want to feel odd about my closest drugstore. I never saw a Walgreens for several decades, from the 50's in Illinois, to now in Albuquerque, and I had liked the place when I was a kid in Evanston, though I've no idea now quite why. So, I've kind of liked it here too. Just a drugstore, but sort of fun.

I gather Duane Reade in the eastern u.s. is corporately related. I'm sentimental about that too - that's where on my visit to NYC, my umbrella went crazy in the downpour, the umbrella I'd just bought inside the store trying to fly to the sky, me trying to get a cab to stop.

It seems I can't remember movie plots but I've a memory for visual scenarios.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:38 pm
@ossobuco,
So happy for you with the proper resolution of the problem. I sensed you're more than capable of whatever pushback you needed but also sensed it was the wrong time for you emotionally to gather up that energy at the moment.

I used to work p/t as a clerk in a film lab at the counter and I know that it typically is a clerical error... somewhere... if the film ends up at the wrong customer or store destination. Big image processing computers rarely eat up processing. When they do, stores are pretty prompt with letting customers know ...generally within a week's timeframe.

Glad the mystery and those keepsake images will be intact.
firefly

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm so glad you'll be getting the photos. You don't need more heartbreak.

When you get the photos, you might think about asking that store manager where you could send a letter praising his efforts to help resolve your problem. He did provide you with good customer service, and it would be nice to let someone at Walgreen's know that.

It's also great that someone had the foresight to hang onto that photo disc, even though they didn't know where it was to be sent. Photos are important to people, particularly these photos.

I'm very happy your persistence paid off and that this episode will have a good outcome. Hope it's not too much longer before you receive the photos.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:58 pm
@Ragman,
It might have worked out that I let it go for a while when the manager didn't call again with news - whoever was replacing him the last week might have been the (dolt) who didn't follow through in the first place (that actually happened twice). I did intend to talk with him personally, we'd been fine in our phone conversations, and today confirms my respect.

Well, we've all been dolts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:22 pm
@firefly,
That'll depend on me - they'll call me tomorrow - as I don't drive a lot for myriad reasons including gas in the tank and dollars for it. There's still a tad in there. I tend to combine ventures to stores. It might be Saturday.

And yes, I am going to ask re sending a letter re the store manager (he told me his name but I didn't quite hear it, being otherwise occupied, anxiety wise, when I originally talked with him. Hey, I already thought of that.

I wouldn't want to explain a detailed scenario, just that he grasped the situation, and, from my view, handled it well, as did the sharp woman, whose name, looked at from my view on the other side of the desk, is Debbie, upside down. (I'm clear there is going to be some kind of internecine discussion).

How to say - he wasn't doing a soothing customer job, I recognize those. He was attentive, and at the end, clearly a happy relieved guy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:24 pm
@firefly,
Oh, the photo disc wasn't done by walgreen's - the filmincamera was sent by walgreen's, and the place afar develops the film and puts it on a disc. That was saved there, Wherever It Is.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Not to get syrupy, but - when I first walked in there today, I was asked by a young woman if she could help me and I said I'd like to speak with the manager. She asked if it was anything she could help with, I said no, it is about lost photos. She angled me to the photo desk, where I saw the woman who took the film in the first place. I didn't dislike her, and she had looked up to help, but I wanted to see the whole store manager and said so. Both backed off. I told the woman I wasn't being mean, wanted to talk with store manager. She was fine with it.

Time passed, feeling like an hour, all is well, I looked around the store. I saw the young clerk again, smiled, and said they found them. She grinned.
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:45 pm
@ossobuco,
So glad that it worked out - especially with the sentimental value of the images.

That being said, retail management in discount chains can be iffy at best sometimes- especially in these difficult financial times.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
I don't think of Walgreen's as discount chain, but re photography, sure it is. I think they're barely keeping the corner alive.

(tell me where to go that beats some of my old places.. that might be another thread)

You're talking with a person with a lot of film stuff I need to dispose of, some valuable (who else has a photo of marilyn monroe's mother?). I need to cull.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I saw the young clerk again, smiled, and said they found them. She grinned.

glad to see this fine result
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Why don't you think of Walgreen's as a discount chain?