For the Battle-Scarred, Comfort at Leash’s End

kuvasz

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:55 pm
Quote:
Just weeks after Chris Goehner, 25, an Iraq war veteran, got a dog, he was able to cut in half the dose of anxiety and sleep medications he took for post-traumatic stress disorder. The night terrors and suicidal thoughts that kept him awake for days on end ceased.

Aaron Ellis, 29, another Iraq veteran with the stress disorder, scrapped his medications entirely soon after getting a dog " and set foot in a grocery store for the first time in three years.

The dogs to whom they credit their improved health are not just pets. Rather, they are psychiatric service dogs specially trained to help traumatized veterans leave the battlefield behind as they reintegrate into society.

Because of stories like these, the federal government, not usually at the forefront of alternative medical treatments, is spending several million dollars to study whether scientific research supports anecdotal reports that the dogs might speed recovery from the psychological wounds of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In dozens of interviews, veterans and their therapists reported drastic reductions in P.T.S.D. symptoms and in reliance on medication after receiving a service dog.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04dogs.html?src=me&ref=general

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/04/us/04dogs_CA1/04dogs_CA1-popup.jpg

I have seen with my own eyes how much joy a dog brings to the old, ill, and infirm simply by their presence. I hope that this program is a resounding success that helps our servicemen and women more fully adjust to the normal world... it also helps the incarcerated inmate who trains the dog, so with one dog two human lives could be healed.

No wonder I LOVE MY DOGS!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 7,144 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:59 pm
@kuvasz,
Wonderful to hear this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@kuvasz,
What a great article.

I appreciate service animals and their trainers.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:13 pm
@kuvasz,
Wow. Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of all of the things that a therapy dog can do for those suffering from PTSD. What a great program. I have tears in my eyes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:19 pm
@kuvasz,
Puppy power!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:24 pm
awesome.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:42 pm
I believe in dog power. You are never friendless or alone when you have one.
littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:52 pm
I love this!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
sometimes even two or three.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:02 pm
This is a video that went viral in 2008, about a vet who returned home after 18 months in Iraq.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
I would have expected this to be common knowledge.....animals have long been known to benefit the elderly and the mentally handicapped. Still, it is good to see that there is an organized effort.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:31 am
@kuvasz,
Loved the article...love that NYTimes photo Smile Huge thumbs up.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:38 am
@kuvasz,
Kuvasz, thanks for the article.

I've seen the wonders dogs can do and I've come to the conclusion that they are true healers, with their unconditional love and their pure joy in life. How could anyone not react in a positive way to those rare qualities, not to mention the sloppy wet kisses and dangling tongue?

To this atheist, dogs are saints, angels come to better the human race.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:41 am
@Diane,
Quote:
To this atheist, dogs are saints, angels come to better the human race.
that they are man's best friend is a stereotype, in this case it seems rather factual.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:26 pm
We are so lucky that dogs like us.
Diane

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 08:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
We are so lucky that dogs like us.

Glitterbag, That is a very perceptive statement. Unconditional love.
0 Replies