The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:25 am
With Gustav being less of a disaster than was anticipated and relief efforts under control, the Republicans are regrouping and reordering their Convention and will begin in earnest tonight. The agenda has been completely revamped however, and will likely be amended hour by hour and day by day from now through Thursday night while still keeping an eye on the weather. (Hurricane Hanna is on its way.)

The theme from the Convention website
Quote:
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The 2008 Republican National Convention's. . . . overall theme, "Country First," reflects John McCain’s remarkable record of leadership and service to America. Each day of proceedings will center on a touchstone theme that has defined John McCain’s life and will be central to his vision for leading our nation forward as president.

I think the highlight is likely to be Sarah Palin's speech, however, as the country tunes in to find out what she is all about. I don't think Candidate McCain will mind.

I think perceptions of A2Kers who are tuned in might be interesting.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 16,756 • Replies: 298

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:50 am
@Foxfyre,
The black chimp riot block showed up I see.

Remember folks, all those rioting chimps are gonna vote for Obama....
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:51 am
The schedule for Tuesday - Sept 2 is shaping up:

Quote:
Certain to address the storm-shortened convention were former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee, an actor and politician and one of McCain's rivals for the Republican nomination, and independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, the Democrats' vice presidential candidate in 2000 and now a McCain supporter. Republicans say the two will talk about McCain's life and their friendship with him.

The revamped schedule suggested that convention planners were easing back into partisan politics with an appeal to independent-minded voters. Thompson is known by most voters for his portrayal of a gruff district attorney on NBC's "Law & Order."

It was unclear whether Thompson had replaced former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani as the convention keynote and, if so, why. Convention planners said Giuliani would address the gathering in prime-time Wednesday or Thursday, though they did not know whether he would remain the keynote speaker as planned.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_convention_rdp;_ylt=As0zAdSA1YrBiznSVYvuYbOyFz4D
cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:53 am
@Foxfyre,
Is Huckabee going to speak?
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@cjhsa,
I don't know. I was really hoping Bobby Jindal would be a prime speaker to introduce himself to the country as I see him as a major GOP rising star, but Gustav pretty well took him out of the lineup. (He's governor of Louisiana.)

The most recent speaker lineup for tonight was this:
Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2008
Note: Schedule subject to change, depending on Hurricane Gustav

Quote:
Convention Prime-Time: Xcel Energy Center, 5PM-11PM ET / 4-10PM CT
Theme of the Day: "Reform"
Highlights to Watch: Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani's keynote address
Other Key Speakers: Former Govs. Mike Huckabee (Ark.) and Tom Ridge (Pa.), Govs. Jon Huntsman (Utah) and Linda Lingle (Hawaii), U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn (Okla.), Former U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson (Tenn.) and House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)

But since the revamp, Giuliani seems to be out for reasons not stated, and the featured speakers are Thompson and Lieberman. But they're firming things up hour by hour so that could change again.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:45 am
@Foxfyre,
Here's the latest from the AP
Quote:
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Republicans revamped their convention plans for a second day, dropping former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani as keynote speaker Tuesday night while trying to determine President Bush's role in the political pageantry celebrating John McCain's candidacy for president.
In Giuliani's speaking slot were former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee, one of McCain's rivals for the Republican nomination, and independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, the Democrats' vice presidential candidate in 2000 and now a McCain supporter. Republicans say the two will talk about McCain's life and their friendship with him.

Whether Bush will address delegates via satellite Tuesday night had not been decided, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and others had been expected to speak Monday night, but the McCain campaign and convention officials agreed to trim back the politics and focus instead on fundraising for victims of Hurricane Gustav.

Hamstrung by Gustav and distracted by the revelation that McCain running mate Sarah Palin's unmarried 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, Republicans were trying to get back on track Tuesday.

Lieberman, who left the Democratic Party after losing a Senate primary, has angered many Democrats by criticizing their nominee, Barack Obama.

"I'm not going to spend any time tonight attacking Sen. Obama," Lieberman told CNN, but he added that he will explain "why I am an independent Democrat voting for Sen. McCain."
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92UJHNG0&show_article=1
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
@cjhsa,
I was watching some pictures of these kids on the news.

Crazy stuff.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:03 am
@maporsche,
What kids?
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:20 am
@Foxfyre,
Some more information below; most of the protests weren't violent, but a couple hundred people (kids?) took things pretty far.

http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2384271/Protesters-flock-to-St-Paul.html
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Some more information below; most of the protests weren't violent, but a couple hundred people (kids?) took things pretty far.

http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2384271/Protesters-flock-to-St-Paul.html

Oh THOSE kids.

(I read before the Democrat Convention how Chicago was going to deal with protesters but promised to let them out of jail in time for the Republican Convention. Smile )
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:32 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
(I read before the Democrat Convention how Chicago was going to deal with protesters but promised to let them out of jail in time for the Republican Convention. Smile )

So they're back there again

http://i33.tinypic.com/10pccx4.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Unfortunately yes. If nothing else drives home the deficiencies in our national education system, this should. I have no problem with anybody conducting peaceful protests about anything unless it is to disrupt a funeral or in another inappropriate place. At a political convention, it is appropriate.

But I watched some 'man on the street' interviews with some of the bottom feeder vandals outside the Convention Center this morning. They didn't have a clue what they are actually protesting or why. They were just raising hell for the hell of it and terrorizing people in the process. I hope they are all arrested, handcuffed, and carted off to jail for the duration.
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
There was one reporter asking them questions like "Who is running for president?","Who is our current president", etc. they didn't even know the answers to these simple questions.

Violence for the sake of violence.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:49 pm
@maporsche,
Yup. If I ever get dictator for a year, I'll sentence them to a forced education and heavy immersion in the philosophy of our national Founders.

So Maporsche, you've been one who hasn't seemed ecstatic over either of our viable Presidential candidates this election cycle. Will you be watching the GOP Convention?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
Tonight's agenda is unfolding

Fox News reports that President Bush will speak tonight - probably via satellite

Quote:
Fred Thompson will forcefully defend the selection of Sarah Palin tonight in a speech Republicans are characterizing as "red meat." He will argue that the feeding frenzy over Palin's is the result of "panic" from the Democrat-friendly mainstream media.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/09/thompson_speech_hits_media_on.asp

And despite the comparatively favorable coverage the media gave Obama and Biden during the Dem Convention, these are the kinds of headlines you see on the Drudge report this week:

MCCAIN VS. MEDIA IN ELECTION SHOWDOWN...

NY TIMES FEATURES 3 PAGE ONE STORIES ON PALIN'S TEEN DAUGHTER IN TUESDAY EDITIONS...

McCain campaign rips NYT reporter for factual errors...

Philadelphia Columnist Warns: 'If McCain wins, look for full-fledged race war'...

Baltimore Columnist: 'Palin pick insulting on so many levels'...

Washington Columnist: 'McCain's cynical choice'...

and it is much the same on the RCP line up
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yeah, well what do you expect? This is what happens when you go with a surprise VP pick: you take your chances with the media you will get afterward. Palin has more then a few skeletons in their closet and it's the media's job to unearth such things. Why complain when they do their job?

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't know. I guess I hoped liberal Democrats would be able to be decent and put America first; to refrain from malicious hateful attacks against a 17-year-old girl and her family, who aren't running for public office, because their constituents wouldn't stand for it. I realize that was asking a lot and neither the leftwing media or the liberal Democrats themselves are up to that and they refuse to see the hypocrisy when they demanded that virtually everything related to their candidate--not his family, but the candidate--was off limits for criticism.

Most seem to be saying that well she deserves it. Sort of like you are doing.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Stop your whining Foxfyre!

I don't see any prominent "liberal Democrats" launching "hateful attacks" against Palin's daughter.

We are questioning her qualification to be president, and McCain's judgment in appointing someone with her views and links to the conservative fringe of the GOP.

She deserves any questions about her policies, her views on positions and her lack of anything that would qualify her from taking office.

BTW: A conservative whining about "hateful attacks" is quite funny.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I don't know. I guess I hoped liberal Democrats would be able to be decent and put America first; to refrain from malicious hateful attacks against a 17-year-old girl and her family, who aren't running for public office, because their constituents wouldn't stand for it. I realize that was asking a lot and neither the leftwing media or the liberal Democrats themselves are up to that and they refuse to see the hypocrisy when they demanded that virtually everything related to their candidate--not his family, but the candidate--was off limits for criticism.

Most seem to be saying that well she deserves it. Sort of like you are doing.

Yaknow what? I don't care about any of this. We will use whatever we have to to win. That is what Republicans have done since the beginning of known history, and they've won. Palin and her family deserve this ****, because what did they expect? That nobody would look into an unknown candidate's past when she is nominated? That people wouldn't care that her 16 year old daughter got knocked up? That they wouldn't care that she has lied about her past and isn't the person McCain says she is?

Save it. They do deserve this. If she had cared about her family one whit, she would not have accepted, especially in such a hurried, slapdash fashion. Some family values...

Now, you guys are left with nothing but bitching about the media. Not exactly a surprising and new line from the Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Who says they're liberal democrats, as you say. There's a bunch of Green Party and unaffiliated anarchists! Why are the Repugs blaming the Democrats for Palin's sketchy background? Is the first baby the daughter's also? I'm reading a lot online and hearing this on CBS, NBC. PBS and CNN! Cool