The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:27 pm
Wasn't there some whining a while back from some repubs, something about Joe L not being allowed to speak his mind?

Quote:
McCain Campaign Tries To Block Ron Paul From Convention Floor

The Washington Times reported today that the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee have been “negotiating with Rep. Ron Paul to win his support and acquire the names of his sympathizers among the 4,607 delegates and alternates at the Republican National Convention.”

However, when CNN’s John King asked Paul this morning whether such reports were true, Paul laughed. “I wouldn’t put it in those words,” he said. In fact, he said the RNC seemed to be trying to keep him off the convention floor, even though as a congressman, he should be able to get floor passes without a problem

Paul was barred from speaking at the convention “because the the congressman would not change his position on the war in Iraq, which he opposes.” The Washington Times also reports that Paul “was denied permission to address the Republican Platform Committee last week” after “the McCain forces who controlled the platform proceedings, as well as the Rules Committee and the Credentials Committee, objected.”

The McCain campaign’s stonewalling of Ron Paul may not have the support of his vice presidential pick, Gov. Sarah Palin. In an interview with MTV earlier this year, Palin expressed support for Paul, saying that he was “cool“:

He’s cool. He’s a good guy. He’s a good guy. He’s so independent. He’s independent of like the party machine, I’m like, right on, so am I. The party machinery, on both sides of the party, ya know, Americans are tiring of the incessant partisanship that gets in the way of just doing the right thing for this country.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/02/mccain-block-paul/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:31 pm
Well, for heaven's sake. Whodda thunk it?

Quote:
Blacks represent just 2 percent of GOP convention delegates.

There are just 36 black delegates at this week’s Republican National Convention, “fewer than 2% of the total and a sharp drop-off from 2004,” when 6.7 percent were black. At last week’s Democratic National Convention, 24.5 percent of delegates were black. Recent polls show that about nine out of 10 black voters support Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL).

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/02/blacks-represent-just-2-percent-of-gop-convention-delegates/

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:38 pm
The Thompson line that I hope people were paying really close attention to was the issue of the Obama tax cuts which, frankly, is the only personally appealing component of the long laundry list of godlike miracles Obama promises to perform.

As Thompson pointed out, Obama is promising tax cuts to just about everybody. . . .UNLESS you are a business owner or depend on business for your paycheck. He used the metaphor of promising to take water out of only one side of the bucket and leave the other side untouched.
JTT

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
The Thompson line

How apropos.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
As Thompson pointed out, Obama is promising tax cuts to just about everybody. . . .

That's funny. Isn't Obama promising to cut taxes for low and middle class, and raise taxes for the rich - whereas McCain promises to cut taxes for everyone?
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:50 pm
@old europe,
No, I think McCain has promised only to try to retain the current tax rates but he is in favor of lower taxes, smaller, more efficient, more effective government--in that particular area, McCain is a true conservative. But since almost everybody is low income and middle class, that is 'just about everybody' that Obama promises to cut taxes for. (Though the low income don't pay income taxes now.) Thompson exposed the pitfall in Obama's promises, however, in that Obama will raise taxes on business and the rich which will have the effect of raising taxes on everybody.
old europe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
No, I think McCain has promised only to try to retain the current tax rates

I don't think that's true. Nearly all of the tax cuts enacted since 2001 would expire in 2010. But McCain's plan is not to merely make the 2001"06 tax cuts permanent. It actually goes beyond that. Let me post my favourite graphic again:

http://i38.tinypic.com/v7xuu.gif
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:05 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
he is in favor of lower taxes, smaller, more efficient, more effective government--in that particular area, McCain is a true conservative.

Interesting. Well, he's your candidate, so you'll know what "true conservative" is supposed to mean. I'm glad that Fred was picking up this topic. Maybe it'll get more play in the media now.

It seems that many people don't really know what consequences McCain's tax plan would have. According to the Tax Policy Center, McCain's tax plan would increase the national debt by a projected $5 trillion within the next decade.

But if we use the Bush administration as a yardstick, then that's certainly "truly conservative".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Sorry, but raising taxes on business and the rich does not have the effect of raising taxes on everyone else. This attitude posits that every business or rich person rides the edge of profitability, and that rises in taxes directly lead to rises in prices of goods.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Free Market that Republicans love so much guarantees that some companies will choose leaner profits rather then raising prices, thereby grabbing a larger share of the market over their competitors. So raising business or 'rich' taxes does NOT equate to raising everyone's taxes.

What you posit is a myth, a trope, a lie designed to support continual and large tax cuts for businesses and the rich.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:17 pm
@old europe,
And the Cato and Heritage Institutes who are almost never in error in their analysis of these things support McCain's approach to taxes and reject Obama's as being most beneficial to the most people plus the economy as a whole. Those of us who are are the mercy of others to analyze these things have to decide who we will trust.
old europe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
the Cato and Heritage Institutes who are almost never in error in their analysis

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You actually wrote that!

That's funny!

Cato and Heritage are right wing think tanks. They are in favour of a tax plan that favours the rich? Wow! What a surprise....
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:21 pm
@old europe,
They are both fiscally consevative, yes, but they utilize some of the most competent experts in the country to do the calculations. Again believe what you want. It is late. I do not wish to argue it. If you are won't accept any source other than those that agree with what you want it to be, there is no point in arguing it anyway. You do have to look at the net effects far beyond the immediate tax rates to arrive at a competent conclusion however.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:02 am
@Foxfyre,
Thompson had some good lines, like no, the Dems will not raise your taxes, just somebody elses taxes, like on business, which will not affect you, unless you buy food, clothing, or gas, or unless you happen to work for a business.

Raising taxes is always on somebody else. One wonders how we could be paying any tax at all.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That is just STUPID!!! Are you trying to make us believe that when business taxes go up, business will not raise prices/cut expenses to maintain profit margins?

Keep telling yourself that lie and soon you will believe your own bullsh!t.
Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:55 am
@Woiyo9,
But the most striking thing about the evening was what was missing: even the slightest wisp of substance.
Not even a detailed tax cutting proposal, not even a paean to anti-missile defense or a rant against Iran.
The strategy here seems crystal clear--indeed, it was stated today by McCain's campaign manager,
"Issues don't matter."

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/09/the_republicans_tonight.html
Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:58 am
@Ramafuchs,
Not talking about an issue
doesn't take if off the table -- especially when the issue is discussed at kitchen tables across this country every day.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/02/AR2008090202442.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:11 am
Impressions from last night:

- Reminder of how much I like Joe Lieberman
- A pang of regret that Fred Thompson will probably never hold high office in government again, which, in my opinion, is a national loss.
- Noting that George H.W. and Barbara Bush are definitely showing their age now, but are still imposing figures.
- Thinking what a national treasure Laura Bush is and Cindy McCain will be.
- Amazed how alert and well John McCain's 90+ year old mother is and how much she looks like Jessica Tandy.
- Appreciating how little negativity and how much positive energy was expressed last night.

Tonight Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin. It is being speculated, by some, that Sarah will pull the highest ratings on TV tonight--maybe even exceeding Obama's acceptance speech. We'll see how it goes.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:14 am
@Foxfyre,
At the State Fair.... the all time attendance award consistently goes to the pig races.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:15 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

It is being speculated, by some, that Sarah will pull the highest ratings on TV tonight--maybe even exceeding Obama's acceptance speech.

Yep, America is very interested and excited about getting to know Sarah - the ratings should easily exceed Obama's speech.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:17 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bear, after your good morning hug.....bite me.