The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:17 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Why would you describe my attitude as sour grapes? She hasn't won anything, beaten anyone, or proven herself....therefore how or what could there be sour grapes about?

Nothing personal. Just lumping you in with the others here who think the GOP convention sucks and nothing right or good is being said and the Republicans are 'catty'. And from my perspective, knowing that the Republicans are having a very good convention as did the Democrats, I see such comments as sour grapes.
okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:54 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre, Huckabee gave the best speech, Romney second. Palin didn't bomb, there were good stretches, and some not so good, just my opinion. The best thing that happened was for everyone to see her family. She is a fighter, no doubt about that. I also think her strongest area may be energy, as she has dealt with that up close. I think she has common sense, which is sorely needed in Washington. Also, she isn't afraid to push for cutting spending.

I think the criticism of Obama would have been more effective if it had been shortened to fewer lines. I have to agree with the libs, the wrinkled nose, snippily delivered lines, I'm not sure if those are winners. Maybe other women are the best judges of the speech?

Let the show go on. Good luck McCain. What will be will be.

okie

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:04 am
@okie,
By the way, I missed Giuliani, I will check that out tomorrow with a replay.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:25 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

yeah man, she can read prepared material. So can I.

**** dude, we've both been in cover bands! let's run for office!!! we are qualified now, i guess ! Very Happy
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:26 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Funny. You don't hold Obama in contempt for being able to read prepared material...

he wrote his by himself. maybe lacking in some specificity, but never the less.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

...She basically regurgitated every attack that we've seen all summer from the Republicans...

yup. it was a real greatest hits album
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:32 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Yeeeeah... but... they werent being delivered with wrinkle-nosed femininity. It is difficult to defend, much less counter-attack against this kind of thing without looking like youre beating up on a woman..

olympia snow basically said that she "hoped" that women would be as open to attack as a man. i paraphrase but that's the gist of her comment.

as rover is alleged to have said; "she's fair game".
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:37 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

...Palin didn't bomb, there were good stretches, and some not so good, just my opinion.

i agree. my wife says she's "a pistol". the most annoying thing about her for me is that, while it would probably be a lot of fun to hang out and wise crack with her, i am not all with her on the issues.

doesn't mean she's a bad person, i just think she's wrong.

nice eyes, though.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:55 am
At the same time that these hypocrites are whining about the "sexist" media prying into their woman's qualifications, they're walking around with campaign buttons that say, "Hottest VP from Coolest State."

Sarah Palin's handlers stashed her away in a hotel suite and worked endlessly with her for days as she practiced to read a party-prepared tirade from a teleprompter. Yes, with sufficient preparation, she can read from a teleprompter. Commentators have stated that many thousands of high school students around the country can deliver a speech, but they're not qualified to be VP. Yes, she sold the State of Alaska's plane on ebay. Is she suggesting that all of our national concerns will be resolved if McCain sells Airforce One on eBay? There was absolutely nothing of substance in the words she read.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:32 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yeah. I don't always agree with Maureen Dowd but I really agreed with this (bolded part):

Quote:
Hillary cried sexism to cover up her incompetent management of her campaign, and now Republicans have picked up that trick. But when you use sexism as an across-the-board shield for any legitimate question, you only hurt women. And that’s just another splash of reality.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:30 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
that's right....not only can I read prepared material I can sing it Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:32 am
@Foxfyre,
but I don't know that foxy..... otherwise I wouldn't comment that the whole thing sucks. It's a circle jerk. A Sunday morning tent revival. A waste of time. That's what I sincerely believe. That's not sour grapes.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:38 am
@okie,
I missed Huckabee. I have an odd admiration for him and just cannot help but like him. Maybe I can catch him on youtube.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:18 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Foxfyre, Huckabee gave the best speech, Romney second. Palin didn't bomb, there were good stretches, and some not so good, just my opinion. The best thing that happened was for everyone to see her family. She is a fighter, no doubt about that. I also think her strongest area may be energy, as she has dealt with that up close. I think she has common sense, which is sorely needed in Washington. Also, she isn't afraid to push for cutting spending.

I think the criticism of Obama would have been more effective if it had been shortened to fewer lines. I have to agree with the libs, the wrinkled nose, snippily delivered lines, I'm not sure if those are winners. Maybe other women are the best judges of the speech?

Let the show go on. Good luck McCain. What will be will be.

Well, speaking as a woman who has felt fury and extreme resentment at the leftwing media's unprecedented unfair and hateful attacks on her and the bottom feeders like Daily Kos and Huffington Post who feed it, I thought she showed amazing restraint, class, and poise. Do you think if they had treated Barack Obama or Joe Biden or Michelle Obama even anywhere nearly in as contempitble manner that there wouldn't have been enormous outcries at the Democrat convention and protests by everybody who could find a camera to protest into? When they have delved into the most intimate aspects of her life--some even demanded she submit to a DNA test to PROVE that she is Trigg's mother--how scumbag is that???????--while declaring anything of Obama's family or background or family to be off limits for even close scrutiny, much less criticism,. . . .

Considering all that, Sarah was more than entitled to get in a few digs in her own defense. And yes, it is high time we started demanding that double standards not be applied in scrutiny of any political candidates, even if they happen to be woman.

The bottom feeders who have been attacking her in the most hateful and malicious ways are where the contempt should be directed and not that Sarah used gentle humor and some pointed remarks to defend herself. And too much criticism of Obama? Joe Biden was drafted as the bulldog, attack dog--this is the role of the Veep inthe campaign so the candidate can 'stay above it all'. Is Sarah supposed to be anything less?

And even you my dear friend, Okie, I think would not be so critical of her presentation if she was a man.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:36 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

Considering all that, Sarah was more than entitled to get in a few digs in her own defense. And yes, it is high time we started demanding that double standards not be applied in scrutiny of any political candidates, even if they happen to be woman.

Yes - digs at the media. The Obama camp had nothing to do with the invasion of her private life, and actually spoke out against it forcefully on more then one occasion.

As for the attacks on Obama, well. Let me just say that I do not think they were effective, for her delivery was poor (too condescending and sarcastic) and they were not new attacks in any way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:47 am
This made me grin...

Quote:
The Glass Houses Convention

First Fred Thompson rails against politicians who feel at home on the Washington cocktail party circuit. ("Ahem," as Fred would say.)

Then Mitt Romney rails against East Coast elites.

Now Rudy is making fun of Obama for prefering flashy, cosmopolitan cities to rural, out-of-the-way towns. And for his insensitivity to religious people.

Good stuff.

Sure to come: Sarah Palin accuses Barack Obama of lacking experience. Oh wait...

A commenter chimed in on another bit of cognitive dissonance:

Quote:
Less glass houses than looking-glass.

My favorite was Romney: "Throw out the big-government liberals and elect John McCain," Romney said. "We need change, all right: change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington."

Did I dream the past 8 years? Is Clinton still President?

Didn't 8 years of Bush just expand the government to levels not seen since the Great Depression?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:54 am
Good pick up on today's talking points and party line, Cyclop. That's what I hearing from the Leftwing media and blogs this morning--smug, snippy, shrill, too partisan yadda yadda. You see it right here in this thread. I have no doubt whatsoever that she won't change your mind or others who have decided to vote for Obama.

I do think she did what she went to St. Paul to do however. She did what she needed to do to assure the GOP base that she has the right stuff and is up to the job.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:04 am
@Foxfyre,
But you agree with me that it was the media, and not the Obama camp, which she had the right to forcefully go after for smearing her - right? You're not going to continue conflating the two?

I agree with you that her speech was very effective amongst Republicans. I doubt anyone else felt that way though.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:09 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I agree with you that her speech was very effective amongst Republicans. I doubt anyone else felt that way though.

The ground swell of support for McCain and Palin from those who will never call themselves Republicans has begun.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
An open question to those who liked her speech: what reforms are her and McCain planning on bringing to Washington? How can they run on a 'throw the bums out' platform, when the bums are... their own party?

Cycloptichorn