The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes I think he gave every bit as much specifics as Obama, but the difference is that he didn't claim to provide every want and need for everybody and/or fix everything from hangnails to accomplishment of world peace and elimination of world hunger in the universe while cutting everybody's taxes. McCain couldn't very well be credible as a straight talker by promising the sun, moon, and stars to the gullible. McCain did give an ambitious but realistic overview of what his intentions are. And I think he deserves major kudos for that.
eoe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:40 am
@Foxfyre,
I don't recall anything in Obama's speech about hangnails or the elimination of world hunger. Obviously, you didn't hear him. Now i will admit that i turned away from McCain because i wasn't hearing anything specific so maybe he hit upon something when i wasn't listening. Would you care to enlighten me?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:44 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Can I have your autograph, Alternative Universe Man?

(props to sozobe)

I understand that reality is just a concept to you and sozobe.
Keep your blinders on and do us all a favor by not having children.
nimh

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:48 am
@H2O MAN,
Too late...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:51 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Too late...

Too bad.....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:43 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I got tired of waiting for McCain to give some detail on what he actually intended to do as president and got sidetracked online. Did he ever lay out any plan at all?

Yeah, I heard the details loud and clear, his plan is to love the country, try to run an honest government, try to cut spending, and try to defend the country. Then let us practice what everyone should, go to work, practice personal responsibility and quit complainin. And don't expect McCain to come to your house and mow your lawn or feed your dog or whatever else you might want.

If you detect a note of sarcasm, you might be onto something, but not necessarily directed at you, but alot of us are fed up with politicians that think they might need to hold everybody's hand. As McCain said at the end of his speech, stand up, stand up for something, stand up for yourself, stand up for personal responsibility, just stand up, and don't expect the government to take care of everybody from cradle to grave.

Theres my rant for the day.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:44 am
@okie,
Quote:

Yeah, I heard the details loud and clear, his plan is to love the country, try to run an honest government, try to cut spending, and try to defend the country.

But Okie, those aren't plans. Those are goals. How is he going to achieve his goals? That's the info I'm looking for, and what we typically call a 'plan.'

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Alot of your plans are plans that aint any of McCains business, they are your business, thats my point.

Besides he had plenty of plans, not super specific, but that is not the purpose of this speech, doofus.

One example, how about drilling for oil, thats a good plan, and one that Obama doesn't have.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:48 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Alot of your plans are plans that aint any of McCains business, they are your business, thats my point.

Besides he had plenty of plans, not super specific, but that is not the purpose of this speech, doofus.

One example, how about drilling for oil, thats a good plan, and one that Obama doesn't have.

Well said Exclamation
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:49 am
@okie,
Other plans, specific, defend the country, don't negotiate with renegade leaders, attack corruption in the government, how about school choice, I heard that one too. There were lots of plans if you had been listening.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:51 am
@okie,
It wasnt long ago that you were adamant that Obama didnt offer enough specifics on how he was going to change Washington. Now, with McCain also offering to change Washington, specifics seem to no longer be required. If you dont need them, thats fine. But could you cop to the fact that Obama has provided them? Sure you dont like his specifics, but you have to admit he offered them.
okie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's the info I'm looking for, and what we typically call a 'plan.'

Cycloptichorn

Where have I heard this "plan" stuff. 5 year plans, 10 year plans, 20 year plans. Oh yeah, old USSR, they had a plan for everything.

My 3 month plan is to support McCain and then vote McCain, hows that?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:55 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's the info I'm looking for, and what we typically call a 'plan.'

Cycloptichorn

Where have I heard this "plan" stuff. 5 year plans, 10 year plans, 20 year plans. Oh yeah, old USSR, they had a plan for everything.

My 3 month plan is to support McCain and then vote McCain, hows that?

McCain's plan is a hell of alot better than Obama's plan to bankrupt our country.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:56 am
@okie,
Laughing That was so good, okie, that I think you just might supplant old Harlan Rodberg on my sig line.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:56 am
@FreeDuck,
Okay sum them up.

One is to provide universal health care. And where does the money come from?

What else? Get us off of Middle Eastern oil in 10 years, ha, but don't drill for any more oil, yeah sure, thats a great plan, a plan with no common sense.

Rebuild the military, thats another plan of Obama I heard, what a joke.
He knows nothing about the military, as far as I can tell.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:12 am
@okie,
Not too long ago...
okie wrote:
Actually, alot of his laundry list sounded pretty Republicanish. For all the talk about change, when he finally gets to specifics, it sounded pretty much like same old same old run of the mill stuff, which actually is comforting to me, ...

I think that the answers to your questions are out there if you are interested in researching them. I dont think you are, though. You have found your hero and your candidate and I will leave you in satisfaction.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:46 am
Our good friends on the Left are missing the point here I think. McCain's laundry list is to keep taxes low, get government off the back/out of the way of those who generate prosperity, jobs, wealth, new innovations, while assigning government its Constitutional responsibilities and holding it accountable to perform them. That is the difference between Conservatism and making people more and more dependent on government largesse.

That isn't 'same old same old' because the Republicans have lost sight of those principles in the last several years which, in my opinion, has resulted in some of the economic problems we are currently having. McCain told them that last night and almost certainly offended some of his Republican colleagues in the process.

The only thing he said last night that made me grit my teeth was the line that he would include Democrats/Independents etc. in his administration. That would have been fine had he qualified it with emphasis on including those who shared his goal of getting government back to work in what works best, not what is most politically beneficial to the politicians.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:58 am
@Foxfyre,
How is McCain's laundry list any different than Bush's laundry list which was "keep taxes low, get government off the back/out of the way of those who generate prosperity, jobs, wealth, new innovations, while assigning government its Constitutional responsibilities and holding it accountable to perform them.."

From the 2004 RNC

George W. Bush wrote:

My plan begins with providing the security and opportunity of a growing economy. We now compete in a global market that provides new buyers for our goods, but new competition for our workers. To create more jobs in America, America must be the best place in the world to do business. (Applause.) To create jobs, my plan will encourage investment and expansion by restraining federal spending, reducing regulation, and making the tax relief permanent. (Applause.) To create jobs, we will make our country less dependent on foreign sources of energy. (Applause.) To create jobs, we will expand trade and level the playing field to sell American goods and services across the globe. (Applause.) And we must protect small business owners and workers from the explosion of frivolous lawsuits that threaten jobs across America. (Applause.)

Another drag on our economy is the current tax code, which is a complicated mess -- filled with special interest loopholes, saddling our people with more than six billion hours of paperwork and headache every year. The American people deserve -- and our economic future demands -- a simpler, fairer, pro-growth system. (Applause.) In a new term, I will lead a bipartisan effort to reform and simplify the federal tax code. (Applause.)

McCain offers more of the same.
nimh

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:03 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Other plans, specific, defend the country,

Thats not a plan, that's a desire.

A plan involves outlining how.

okie wrote:
attack corruption in the government,

Same. Thats not a plan, just a promise. A plan involves explaining how.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:03 am
@ebrown p,
The difference is that McCain is saying that the President and Republicans in Congress didn't get it done. He's saying he will.