The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Agreed, Lieberman's speech was pretty bad, the delivery of it. The content was good. I think Lieberman may want to vindicate his character before he retires, by finally coming clean about what he really thinks. I don't think his heart has been in the Democratic Party since the Clinton debacle, and I don't think his heart was fully immersed in the Gore presidential race.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
@okie,
It wasn't that Lieberman's content was bad, per se, it's that it didn't draw clear divides in people's minds when they heard it. He went on and on about how 'it doesn't matter if there is an R or a D after your name, we all should put America first!' And that's okay; but what about that tells someone that they should vote R and not D?

Mark Warner had the same problem for the Dems; not a bad speech but not one that would sway anyone.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:09 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

i had the tube going for the tuesday night event. caught the important speeches.

all in all, i have to say i was underwhelmed.

thompson probably gave the best speech, at least in terms of delivery. but then he is an actor afterall.

lieberman was awful. not because of content (although i think he's wrong), but it was kinda of a poopy speech with a not great delivery.

although "change" was mentioned often, i don't think i heard anything that i haven't heard from just about every republican convention for the last 30 years.

disappointing really. the gop just doesn't seem to have the dynamics that they had when i was young and republican.

Hey friend DTOM, thanks for comng. I guess it probably depends on perspective. To me the Dem speeches were mostly contrived, scripted, and party line but pretty devoid of any content other than slogans and sound bites. You and other Dems no doubt heard something very different.

I wasn't looking for great oratory in the GOP presentations; I was looking for content. I didn't get all I wanted but I got quite a bit--real stuff saying real things to me. I hope by the end of tomorrow night I will have heard enough to make me excited to go to the polls and vote in November.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I hope all the delegates can get in, get past the anarchists, misfits, angry lefties, whatever. Attacking old folks, an 83 year old had to be treated. These people are nuts. Don't they have jobs? Why are they there?

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=3064370&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

Me too Okie. Me too. The GOP decided not to muzzle free speech like the Dems did. They probably should have.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:17 pm
I can't believe these guys are trying to steal the whole theme of change from the democrats. Don't they realize that a lot of the change people want is to not have those ******* assholes running the government anymore? Laughing
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:24 pm
@kickycan,
You're absolutely right. They really don't get that fact. They just want to steal the words. They figure that if they repeat 'change' enough times when they are around, people will believe that they represent a change....

Here's Josh Marshall, on Romney's speech?

Quote:

Massachusetts venture capitalist and governor Mitt Romney is lashing out against the "eastern elite".

Now demanding change from the liberalism of the last eight years.

Calls Democrats party of big brother after embracing torture and domestic spying.

"Tyrannosaurus appetite of government unions" ... rolls off the tongue.

... Laughing

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:09 pm
Rudy is funny and hard hitting. Mr. Green Laughing
kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Yeah, he's shredding Obama right now.
kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:13 pm
@kickycan,
The guy is good.
kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:17 pm
@kickycan,
Rudy mentions offshore drilling and the crowd breaks into a cheer of "Drill baby, drill!"

How stupid.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:43 pm
oof. Palin is doing a nice job.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:46 pm
@McGentrix,
of what?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
I have figured out the term to describe the tone of this convention....catty. It's hard to tell if Guliani or Palin is the cattiest... and she sure talks with authority about a guy she's hardly ever met..... you'd think she was just reading talking points prepared by someone else.... and that could apply to Obama or McCain..... I also notice that service to country was inconsequential in 2000 with Gore and 2004 with Kerry and certainly that politician whose name escapes me from Georgia who is in a wheelchair with no ******* legs.... his service didn't mean anything....when running against these holier than thou republican fucks.

Although anyone in their right mind would admire John McCain's courage and what he suffered through.... exactly what did that have to do with American freedom? Exactly what did the VietNam conflict do that left America any different freedom wise than it was the day we stuck our nose in there. Outside of the thousands of American kids who were set free from their bodies.

What a ******* crock of **** this convention is.
eoe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You're absolutely right. They really don't get that fact. They just want to steal the words. They figure that if they repeat 'change' enough times when they are around, people will believe that they represent a change....

Cycloptichorn

That tactic has certainly worked in the past. Throw enough **** against the wall, some is bound to stick.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:11 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I have figured out the term to describe the tone of this convention....catty.

Dammit, Bear. I just used that word on another thread to describe Palins speech.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
lol... I guess the DNC was just a big truth circle...

You guys crack me up.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:17 pm
@FreeDuck,
I saw..... you gotta be quick to get ahead of a Bear.....
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:18 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What else one expect from a party which uphold conservative values but not honouring the Person who still there to make or mar by inviting.
The wonderful lady had40 minutes stood before the audience.
She had not made a histortic speech nor she had any sympathy for the innocent GI#s and Slleping mothingers and kids who had sacrificed their life.
The funny 72 year old guy got highlighted by all the club fans.

After hearing his speech I will go offensive with all kind of relevant American source to expose the banal hollywood drama which has nothing to do with any religion nor any high intellectual views .
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:30 pm
Wow, what a lot of sour grapes there are in here. To a Conservative, Sarah gave us all we could possibly ask for tonight and a whole lot more. Home run and the outfielders are still hunting for the ball in the tall grass outside the fence.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
well yeah....anyone can preach to the choir....