The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:36 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

The constant Conservative whining about the "liberal media"...
The dire predictions of social breakdown if their morals are broken...
Even the silly cries of sexism now because people point out that Palin supported the bridge to nowhere (before she opposed it).

Conservatives seem to constantly be whining about this or that.... when they aren't making frantic warnings about the "gay agenda" or "welfare moms".

I even heard that Katrina was due to a very angry Republican God.

Your left wing nut talking points seem to be up to date.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:37 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Conservatives seem to constantly be whining about this or that....

Lol. Take off your blinders, EB ... you can't see a damn thing with them on.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:48 pm
So what do you guys want to hear from John McCain tonight? Or do you just want to be pleasantly surprised?
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:48 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I missed Huckabee. I have an odd admiration for him and just cannot help but like him. Maybe I can catch him on youtube.

I feel the same way. I'm an atheist heathen, who could never vote for the guy.....but I LIKE HIM.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
Being pleasantly surprised would be best.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

So what do you guys want to hear from John McCain tonight? Or do you just want to be pleasantly surprised?

I want to hear the McCain of 2000. I want to hear a plan and why he thinks it will work. I want to hear the adults speak.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 04:25 pm
@FreeDuck,
That's not what I want FreeDuck.

I want to hear attacks on "liberals" and complaints about the media. I want little substance accept for vague conservative talking points. I want to hear about Bush tax cuts and about victory in Iraq. And, I want attacks on Obama that can be easily disproved by looking at the record.

The McCain of 2000 would have been a much more difficult opponent.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 04:56 pm
Answering Foxfyre's call to speak to the pros and cons of the Republican convention, which I have done and will continue to do:

Pros: The Republican party is unveiling itself.

Cons: What we find beneath the veil is hypocrisy, divisiveness, and hate-mongering.

Here's something that I found interesting. Jesse Ventura was a guest on the Larry King show the night before Palin delivered the party speech of divisiveness and hate. Here is what they stated:

VENTURA: Well, you know, the Republicans have been pushing really Hermann Goering on us, the Nazi, since 2001. I mean, you know...

KING: Hermann Goering?

VENTURA: Yes. He said that it's easy to take a country to war. You have to convince them they're under attack. Denounce the pacifist for being unpatriotic and also for putting the country into danger. And yet, Thomas Jefferson said dissension is the greatest form of patriotism.

I like to follow the teachings of Thomas Jefferson a little bit more than Herman Goering.

KING: D.L., are you...

HUGHLEY: To follow...

KING: I'm sorry. HUGHLEY: To follow up on what Jesse was saying, it did remind me -- I promise you, the first thing I thought when I saw those "Country First" signs, it reminded me of Nazis. It really -- I mean they just seemed so, you know -- that seemed to be a country that I don't recognize.

It seemed to be -- it didn't look that way. It looks very exclusionary. It looked very specific. I didn't see anything that looked -- you know everybody looked like they were -- had the same experience, had the same kind of process.

It seemed like that -- I felt more like I was looking -- I mean, peering into something that wasn't necessarily invited to. So I didn't -- I can't see anybody would watch them and think that those people would be, you know, open to anybody with a different experience.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0809/02/lkl.01.html

It appears that Palin's party handlers and speech writers were paying attention to the comparison of the Republican party to the world's experience with the Nazi propaganda machine. Here's an excerpt from Wiki about a famous Nazi propagandist, Joseph Goebbels:

Speech by Joseph Goebbels on 9 January 1928 to an audience of party members at the so-called "Hochschule für Politik", a series of training talks for Nazi party members in Berlin:

"Success is the important thing. Propaganda is not a matter for average minds, but rather a matter for practitioners. It is not supposed to be lovely or theoretically correct. I do not care if I give wonderful, aesthetically elegant speeches, or speak so that women cry. The point of a political speech is to persuade people of what we think right. I speak differently in the provinces than I do in Berlin, and when I speak in Bayreuth, I say different things than I say in the Pharus Hall. That is a matter of practice, not of theory. We do not want to be a movement of a few straw brains, but rather a movement that can conquer the broad masses. Propaganda should be popular, not intellectually pleasing. It is not the task of propaganda to discover intellectual truths. "

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels

NOW, here's Sarah Palin accusing Obama of being a Nazi-like propagandist with a different message for different crowds:

"I guess -- I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities.

"I might add that, in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they're listening and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.

"No, we tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco.

"As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes and whoever is listening John McCain is the same man."

ROFL

CON: The Republican convention is demonstrating intellectual dishonesty running amok.

What do I expect to see from McCain's speech tonight? I expect to see exactly what Ventura predicted: McCain will paint a picture of danger to our national security and portray himself as our only possible savior, notwithstanding his poor judgment and hair-trigger temper. Other than playing lip service to the issues that confront working people and their families, he will not tell us in any substantive or meaningful manner what he intends to do, as president, to confront those issues.

As one commentator stated, the wealthiest families of America have had their president for eight years and the policy of trickle-down economics of the past has done nothing for this country. It's time for working people to have their president and for our country to rebuild it's economic policies from the ground up.

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

What we find beneath the veil is hypocrisy, divisiveness, and hate-mongering.

You are suffering from Denver flashbacks.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@Debra Law,
Jesse Ventura is something of a nut these days. He's a 9/11 conspiracy advocate for heaven's sake. When he showed up at Ron Paul's "convention" this week and Paul was called on that, even he wouldn't concede that Jesse was 'okay' in that regard. I think the analogies that he is drawing re Palin and that you are repeating here borders on that same kind of lunatic fringe. Under the best of circumstances he is drawing major stretches.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
I would have to say McCain hit for the cycle, not just a home run.

He proved a stadium and elaborate props are unnecessary. Credibility of his words and experience make all the difference.
eoe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:22 pm
@okie,
Keep Hope Alive!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:26 pm
@okie,
I thought he did well. I know speaking isnt his thing, but I did see glimpses of the straight talk express.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:27 pm
I think the Republicans probably lean more on faith in the American people, opportunity, and confidence than hope. John McCain didn't give the world's best speech tonight, but then he doesn't give great speeches. But he was real and he hit the necessary points and he got the job done. All in all, I think he was effective.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:27 pm
@okie,
I liked the old fella in the VFW hat with his "Vote for the hottie" button.

I wish I could get Set to put on his VFW hat and get some of those pins.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I think the Republicans probably lean more on faith in the American people, opportunity, and confidence than hope. John McCain didn't give the world's best speech tonight, but then he doesn't give great speeches. But he was real and he hit the necessary points and he got the job done. All in all, I think he was effective.

Yep, and he gave more point-by-point details than Obama.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@H2O MAN,
Can I have your autograph, Alternative Universe Man?

(props to sozobe)
eoe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:45 pm
@FreeDuck,
I got tired of waiting for McCain to give some detail on what he actually intended to do as president and got sidetracked online. Did he ever lay out any plan at all?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:18 pm
@eoe,
About as specific as Obama
eoe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Did you listen to Obama's speech?
0 Replies