Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 02:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are being deliberately obtuse and I suppose you also think you are being amusing.

I've already explained that the offense to be taken by your use of obscenities in referring to God, is by believers, but you got that the first time.

I also didn't come to anyone's defense in this thread, and I wasn't offended by your obscenities. I was merely pointing out that, although your blasphemy didn't bother me (How could it? I engage in it in semi-private all the time when I'm mad) it could offend a believer (and we have a number of them in this forum) as easily as the Straight Pride declaration might offend homosexuals. It just seems to me that people who are easily offended would be that much more sensitive to saying something that might offend others. I guess, though that you have to have some modicum of respect for the people who might be offended.

I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt that I didn't come to your defense when Wilso called you "fuckwit", but I didn't notice it. I have to admit, though,that if I had, I still wouldn't have said anything. You're a big boy max, you can take care of yourself.

BTW, I like "fuckwit." I may use that sometime in the future as a change from "fucknut"

This is a good post, Finn...and I am not taking exception to what you are saying here.

But I would like to take this opportunity to call attention to a similarity between the way the words "anti-Semite" and "believer" are used...and have been perverted.

Many, many Arabs are Semites...and the word being used exclusively to mean anti-Jew...is a perversion of sorts.

Many "believers" are people who "believe" there is a GOD...but many "believers" also "believe" there are no gods. Both do believing...and are believers.

Just sayin'!
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 08:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, I can't believe you are this square.

First of all, get a sense of humor. My response "damned straight" is obviously a play on words. Let me explain it to you so you understand. Engineer stated that straight people would never be insulted. My response is funny because it can be taken in two ways.... "damn straight" is colloquial phrase of strong agreement, but the words "damn straight" can also be a strong insult of someone who is not homosexual. It is a double meaning... a pun... meant to be funny. I really shouldn't have to explain this.

But think about where we are Finn. I have friends and family who are religious. They would be offended by what I am saying here. That is why I would never say these things at a family gathering, or in Sunday school. They wouldn't understand and I wouldn't want to offend them.

But we aren't at church. We aren't at a family gathering.

This thread is the intellectual equivalent of a biker bar. It started out offensive, and if your offended, then sorry but you don't belong here.

If you are offended by nudity, stay out of the strip club.

Everyone reading this thread walked in here on their own. They know where they are and they know what to expect.

So get a life Finn.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Not everyone is a believer in the sense Frank means but I suppose we must humor him.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 11:38 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not everyone is a believer in the sense Frank means but I suppose we must humor him.

Remember, Edgar...we are trying to be a bit less hostile to each other.

A "believer" is a person who "believes."

If a person says, "I believe there are no gods"...how can anyone consider that less a "belief" that "I believe there is a GOD?"

Explain it to me, because I do not understand you position on the issue.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 11:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Define your use of 'hostile' as it pertains to my post.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 11:59 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Define your use of 'hostile' as it pertains to my post.

The "I suppose we must humor him" sounded condescending and patronizing to me, Edgar. There is an element of hostility in condescension.

If you did not intend that, I sincerely apologize...and withdraw that part of my earlier response.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I meant we must humor that post and the ones like it, because it never yields. If that is hostility, I can't change anything to make it better. Every time you insist on that take, I consider it as an attack on people who see things the way I do. I mostly skip over, but feel the need to respond occasionally, to keep it in perspective. I know you are only posting your belief. And, as you have that right, I feel a need to put in my 2 Cents on occasion, to mark my own right.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I meant we must humor that post and the ones like it, because it never yields. If that is hostility, I can't change anything to make it better. Every time you insist on that take, I consider it as an attack on people who see things the way I do. I mostly skip over, but feel the need to respond occasionally, to keep it in perspective. I know you are only posting your belief. And, as you have that right, I feel a need to put in my 2 Cents on occasion, to mark my own right.

I have no "beliefs" to post about, Edgar. I do not do "believing."

But I ask again: What is the difference in "belief"...if the "belief" is that a GOD exists...or the "belief" is that there are no gods?

Are they not both "beliefs?'

If a person says, "I believe there are no gods"...is that person not expressing a belief?

No attack intended at all on my part, Edgar.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:20 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa asked: What is the difference in "belief"...if the "belief" is that a GOD exists...or the "belief" is that there are no gods?
Are they not both "beliefs?'

I believe in the BALANCE OF PROBABILITIES, and after weighing all the evidence I'm convinced somebody named Jesus did exist and had remarkable powers.
Likewise on the balance of probabilities I believe you have remarkable powers (to a slightly lesser degree) on the golf course..Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:22 pm
How can you have a belief where nothing exists to believe about? It has always seemed to me that people simply want to put the atheist in a box called belief, or faith, because they can't handle the fact that atheists are the ones who don't do believing. Hence, the clever wording, "If you are an atheist it means you believe -" No. It means I don't believe.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, you are playing silly word games. You are stating that "not believing in God" is a different thing that "believing there is no God". I don't really get the difference.

But you fail to answer the ultimate question which is.... 'So what'?

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:32 pm
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Dawks-not-sure_zps16357b9a.jpg~original
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,
One man's word game is another man's Ulysses or Shakespeare.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

How can you have a belief where nothing exists to believe about? It has always seemed to me that people simply want to put the atheist in a box called belief, or faith, because they can't handle the fact that atheists are the ones who don't do believing. Hence, the clever wording, "If you are an atheist it means you believe -" No. It means I don't believe.

Okay...so it does not apply to you. I never said it applies to everyone...and I certainly never said it applies to you.

But do not tell me that there are no people who say, "I believe there are no gods."

There are.

And those people ARE expressing a belief.

They BELIEVE there are no gods.

THEY are believers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:50 pm
Have it your way, frank. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Edgar, you are playing silly word games. You are stating that "not believing in God" is a different thing that "believing there is no God". I don't really get the difference.

But you fail to answer the ultimate question which is.... 'So what'?

I do disagree with you here, Max.

The comment, "I do not believe in GOD" (I do not believe a god exists)...

...IS VERY, VERY different from...

..."I believe there is no GOD" (I believe no gods exist.)

One is expressing a belief...

...one is simply expressing a lack of a particular belief.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:55 pm
Hey Edgar you old softy, you admitted in another thread that there's a possibility the supernatural does exist (telepathy), so you're not just another close-minded atheist after all..Smile

"Just as I felt the emotional tug, when certain people died, even though I was not in the same city, in any of the cases, or a dog will sometimes howl when their absent owner dies, there is a connection between people, including some animals, that is in mundane circumstances undetectable" (Edgar Blythe Thu 6 Mar 2014 in the 'I Think' thread)

"When brother Sam died in Dallas, I was working in Tomball. I felt a sudden urge to go in the office and sit down. "Why?" the manager asked. "I don't know. I just do." At that moment, my phone rang. It was his wife to tell me he was gone. This would mean nothing to many people, and that's fine. I just see enough to believe in connectivity between living creatures." (Edgar Blythe Fri 7 Mar 2014 in the 'I Think' thread)

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do you have an answer for the ultimate question, Frank?
MWal

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think it's okay.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think it's okay. However, be gentle.
0 Replies