Do you boycott certain businesses?

jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:26 am
In my community we boycott the fast food chain Chick-Fil-A because of their chief operating officer opposes marriage equality. The company actually donates money to anti gay causes.

They have a right to their opinion just as I have a right to boycott them for their bigoted, homophobic views.

The gay community boycotted Target for many years; until they changed their stance on gay issues.

http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/07/17/chick-fil-coo-dan-cathy-officially-comes-out-antigay

Quote:
Dan Cathy, the chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, said there is no denying that his company opposes marriage equality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 48 • Views: 23,059 • Replies: 367

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:33 am
@jcboy,
No, not for their personal stances on something, which I believe is their right (as you said). But I do boycott places which have crappy service and/or products. And I avoid buying anything made in China where possible. Talk about crap. And I try to avoid any company which has outsourced their help/support.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:45 am
@jcboy,
No. Some years ago, a list of anti-freedom of self defense
companies were listed by the NRA, with whom I 've been active,
such that the members were free to avoid contributing
their money into anti-freedom efforts, if so thay chose.

I never really got much into boycotting.
I 'm not boycotting anything.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:47 am
@jcboy,
Ill NOT eat any chick-fil-A's if you boycott all Tractor Supply STores (TSC). The quality of their metal parts for big farm machinery is ttal crap.
I bought a blade for a Bush Hog style finishing mower and it shattered into a gazillion pieces, one of which impaled itself into our new barn door. I am so pissed at this company (This is about the third piece of **** that they tuck me with).
I bught a big barn fan and it destroyed itself after less than a year of norml use.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:49 am
@farmerman,
Did u demand satisfaction ?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:07 am
@jcboy,
Given a choice between say donating stuff to Salvation Army and Goodwill Industries, I will donate to Goodwill Industries because of Salvation Army's conservative view towards gays and lesbians. I also used to give my change whenever possible to the bell ringers of the Salvation Army doing the Christmas time. I no longer do so.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:23 am
As a member of the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign, I boycott all things Israeli.
JPB

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:25 am
I try not to shop at Walmart, Walgreen's, Target or other national big box stores. I'll pay a premium to support mom and pop and I'll pick a family-run restaurant over any chain. That said, I don't actually boycott them in a "I refuse to shop here because... and this is how you'll get my business..." way except Yoplait yogurt. They sold millions of $$$$ worth of pink-labeled yogurt in the guise of supporting BC research which turned out to be a farce under SGK.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:26 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, and I don't shop at Boots, because they avoid paying tax.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes Tha Salvation army is another organization I wouldn't donate to.

And now Dan Cathy is finally admitting it, a couple years ago he was shocked anyone would call him anti gay.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:58 am
@Mame,
I'm sort of like that too - for crappy service I will not go back. For the other stuff - personal things I don't believe in - I don't unless it is really obvious - like walking by a restaurant and it says we don't service blonds.

Although I'd like to boycott places that outsource - almost everywhere does and often times you do not realize it. I still have my money in funds where I used to work even though they were outsourcing me to the southwest and have outsourced many jobs to India.

Who doesn't outsource their customer service to Peggy in India?
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:02 am
@Linkat,
Oh just today, I got frustrated with changing my address for something. I got a response (even though they had a spot on line to do so) saying I had to provide in writing with signiture for my address change. They also provided the customer service number to call - which I did.

Anyone after going through and pressing my selections and still getting no where on the phone, I responded to customer service online - one of my responses was - it would be nice to speak to a person even if they were in India.

Can't wait to hear their response.
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:06 am
@Linkat,
I just switched my telephone service because my former one outsourced to a country where they don't speak English and I couldn't get any help. I sent them an email telling them why I switched. Don't care if I hear from them, just wanted to register my protest. If you're going to have customer support, make sure they can speak the language!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:40 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Given a choice between say donating stuff to Salvation Army and Goodwill Industries, I will donate to Goodwill Industries because of Salvation Army's conservative view towards gays and lesbians.

I also used to give my change whenever possible to the bell ringers of the Salvation Army doing the Christmas time. I no longer do so.
I don 't either, since thay became politically correct.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:46 am
@Mame,
I did get a response to my actual question - but not to the out of the country remark -
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:15 am
@JPB,
Walmart is one store I will never shop in again!

I also support mom and pop stores, and prefer the privately owned restaurants to chains. In this town we don’t have a lot of chain restaurants, with the exception of fast food places.

Most of the high end restaurants downtown are all privately owned.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:16 am
@jcboy,
I will boycott an establishment in a minute - both on a personal level and a social level, if I do not feel appreciated for my patronage.
There are some retailers who will watch me and even follow me around the store, and I'm no teenager. I closed my account with Wells Fargo and will not do business with them again.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:32 am
Now what do you do when you get really bad service via phone and then go to the actual business and get great service when you finally deal with a person face to face.

That has happened to me recently - today and about a couple of weeks ago. One was retail; one was a bank.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:55 am
I boycott all goods from Israel and all Israeli companies.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:17 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

In my community we boycott the fast food chain Chick-Fil-A because of their chief operating officer opposes marriage equality. The company actually donates money to anti gay causes.

They have a right to their opinion just as I have a right to boycott them for their bigoted, homophobic views.

The gay community boycotted Target for many years; until they changed their stance on gay issues.

http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/07/17/chick-fil-coo-dan-cathy-officially-comes-out-antigay

Quote:
Dan Cathy, the chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, said there is no denying that his company opposes marriage equality.

Yeah, they're Christianists. They don't open on Sundays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. They were sued by a Muslim employee for having fired him for not participating in an employee prayer.