Indiana’s Religious Freedom Bill

jcboy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:03 pm
I didn’t see a thread on this so I thought I’d start one. When asked if he was surprised by the outcry generated by the passage and signature on this dumbass bill, Pence replied that he genuinely was. I call bull ****.

In Press Conference Train Wreck Mike Pence Crumbles Trying Defend Religious Freedom Law

Quote:
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence called a press conference to tell the world that everyone has got his “religious freedom” law wrong, he once went to Selma with John Lewis, and that he is not a bigot. The more Pence talked, the worse things got for him.

http://mx1.politicususa.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/pence-press-conference-485x243.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 2,787 • Replies: 19

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:09 pm
If Karma is, Karma will fix his ass.
jcboy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 07:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
The glowing silver lining Edgar is that he woke a sleeping dragon. Cool

BREAKING: Arkansas Rejects Religious Freedom Bill & Exposes Mike Pence’s Deception

Quote:
And now, news from the parallel universe we have all just entered where Arkansas does something right: Governor Asa Hutchinson has announced that he will not sign the controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) unless some serious changes are made.

http://1wdojq181if3tdg01yomaof86.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/arkansas-300x158.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 08:27 pm
@jcboy,
If there's already a federal Religious Freedom Law, why do the states need additional Religious Freedom laws. I don't get it.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 08:40 pm
@rosborne979,
Because the Federal law doesn't allow Christian bakers and florists to refuse to provide services to same sex marriages (were you asking for a serious answer to that question?).
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 05:46 pm
God bless everyone who donated over $500,000 to that pizza place in Indiana to support them in their stance against equality. They are officially conservative heroes now and have reached Sarah Palin dumbfuck celebrity status. Cool

$500,000. Could've built a few homes for the homeless or sent poor kids to college. Jesus says screw that. Instead business owners who feel gays don't deserve equal treatment just won the lottery.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 05:55 pm
@jcboy,
All this worries me. They will fix the non legal bits that let targeting LGBT folk be okay - not that that will fix bias - but back the supremes crap re ACA and birth control pill payment if desired by the employed person.
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I think their doing that now, or trying to. Indiana Republicans say that their religious freedom law was never intended to give businesses the right to deny service on religious grounds though legal experts said that's exactly what it did. They have amended the law. So, were they lying about the original intent or could it be that our government is full of people so eager to please their angry bigoted supporters (and stay in office) that they'll pass laws they don't even fully understand because they know their supporters are far dumber than they are.

Answer: probably both. Cool

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:34 pm
This is not fixed, it won't be fixed until Indiana adds LGBT to its list of protected classes, heterosexuals and so called Christians fooled by this sham will swallow it but only because they are clueless on reality.

Indiana Lawmakers To Gays: We Fixed Our Antigay Law, Now Let’s Forget That Whole Thing Ever Happened

Quote:
It’s been a looooong week for Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and his fellow Republican lawmakers.

What started out as an effort to undo decades of advancements in the gay rights movement has, one week later, turned into the state enacting protections based on sexual orientation for the first time in its history, even though Gov. Pence said on Tuesday that protecting LGBT Indianans was “not on his agenda.”
What a different a few days makes, huh?

Republicans in the Hoosier State went back to the drawing board this week to overhaul their “religious freedom” bill signed into law eight days ago. They added a follow-up measure prohibiting businesses from using the law as an excuse for refusing “to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing” to any customers based on “race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service.”

http://queerty-prodweb.s3.amazonaws.com/wp/docs/2015/04/awxldzvig7yy7xxfjgcq-360x202.jpg
jespah

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:28 am
@jcboy,
Well, now, isn't it interesting when the 'net unites people of a lot of different types (a fantasy convention left Indiana because of this crap, and various performers started coming out of the woodwork and essentially saying, "Screw you, Hoosier state, until you fix this") who vote with their wallets?

And then suddenly the law needs to be 'fixed'. You know, that oh so perfect law signed just days ago.

What a buncha idiots. Pandering to the worst of that side, and for what? Does he have national aspirations? Because otherwise, I truly don't see it. The clod got elected once. Often that's a free pass to reelection in the US (there are exceptions, of course, but most elected politicians are put back at least once by their constituencies, unless they do something truly egregious or it comes out that they're gravely ill).

This crap law was pandering to the far right and nothing more.

And now it's bitten them in their collective asses.

Because, you know, there's no such thing as 'gay money'. It's money, period. And there isn't 'bi money' or 'ally money', either. I'm not spending my ally money there.

PS I wonder what this'll make the Indy 500 look like. Today's prediction: beer-swilling, homophobic paradise, even more so than it may have been before.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 01:28 am
Indiana has a one party supermajority government. The state house and senate are a veto proof majority and since Mike Pence is also a member of the same party the LGBT bill (SR101) was a piece Pence inspired legislation that was given a rush through the house and senate to land on the governors desk with little discussion and debate.

Why because the loyal opposition is powerless in Indiana.

Years ago organizational psychologists warned corporate interests about the concept of 'group think' there corporate leaders surround themselves with toadys and yes men where any opposition to an organizational decision becomes paramount to heresy until the reality of unintended consequence raises its ugly head. This is effectively what happened in Indiana.

The good news---Mike Pence was once one of the Teapublican Golden Boys being groomed for national office---now he is an example of being beyond his level of competence in his position as a state governor.

Rap
jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:36 pm
All they wanted to do was bake cakes but then those evil lesbians showed up and destroyed their lives. Of course, they could've just said "Sure, we'll bake a cake for paying customers because we respect all humans and this business serves the public." Instead they helped perpetuate anti-gay bigotry by refusing to condone a "lifestyle" (aka the existence of other humans). I don't feel sorry for them. Join us in the 21st century.

GoFundMe Cancels Sweet Cakes By Melissa Fundraising Campaign; Owners Blame 'Satan'

Quote:
Sweet Cakes By Melissa is the Oregon bakery whose owners refused to bake a same-sex couple's wedding cake. The couple took the owners to court and won the case. Oregon is one of the states that provides civil rights protections for gay folks. The judge in the case has proposed a settlement of $135K. So, a GoFundMe account was set up to help raise the funds. However, now GoFundMe has cancelled the account.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/140118/large/SweetCakes.jpg?1429981888
Kolyo

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:44 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

The good news---Mike Pence was once one of the Teapublican Golden Boys being groomed for national office---now he is an example of being beyond his level of competence in his position as a state governor.

The bad news---The other Teapublican Golden Boys being groomed for national office are exactly like him, but, unfortunately for civilization, they just haven't been found out yet.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 08:24 pm
@jcboy,
I am glad, "Gofunding" cancelled their request.
Bigots shouldn't have a platform to solicit financial support from other bigots while the law prevailed and decided against them.
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 01:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's what they get for being bigots, I have no sympathy for them.

Final Verdict In Oregon Bakers Case Comes To $135,000 – Right Wing Furious Over 'Gay Fascism Tax'

Quote:
In the Sweet Cakes by Melissa anti-gay discrimination case, the final verdict has been handed down, and conservatives are apoplectic.

Aaron and Melissa Klein are right-wing martyrs held up by anti-gay groups and individuals as victims who supposedly lost their business and went bankrupt merely for observing their Christian faith.

In reality, they are the owners of the very much still in business Sweet Cakes by Melissa, an Oregon-based bakery that refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, in violation of that state's nondiscrimination ordinance. Why? Because they refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, and that's against the law.

By now, many people know that in 2013, Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman – now the Bowman-Cryers – tried to order a wedding cake from the Kleins. Aaron Klein, Melissa's husband, refused, citing his religious beliefs.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:43 am
Every time I think Oz is fucked up, I just look to the U.S, and be thankful we're not that retarded.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:01 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Every time I think Oz is fucked up, I just look to the U.S, and be thankful we're not that retarded.

Viewed from a distance sometimes only the bad stuff stands out. "Good things" and smart people don't usually make the news. Just sayin.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 07:18 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

That's Funny, Every time I think the US is fucked up, I look at Australia.

"A dingo ate my baby!"

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 07:32 pm
3 times divorced, 4 times married bigot uses the bible in federal court as her moral compass on why she won't give gays marriage licenses, umm yeah lets see how that holds up. Cool

Clerk Who Won't Issue Marriage Licenses Offers Religious Defense In Federal Court

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 03:19 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Rap

Well, looks like this "good news" didn't pan out.
0 Replies