Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 11:49 pm
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook:

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/hkYGo6mdHNFBpsBVUKfowvKCgmw6sYIScmyHdeieWj15kIDYnzbhGqiogGKnZxsfb1jte8KouEiX5QKc4UP0mTOg2sO1_5K68DSYRcT1j0EYCMK-DgfdbS18aG8vI108UY2q47PLJVXaISus2Y7_X0x_NJvEvxXTxBNoBD4=s0-d-e1-ft#http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10574291_742552252457683_9052486822310658960_n.jpg

Does is strike you as homophobic?

Just askin'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 10,051 • Replies: 183

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:45 am
What? No opinions?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 12:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
At face value, the sentiment of Straight Pride isn't homophobic. Is it goofy and really unnecessary? You bet. And I suspect that most people's motivation for putting it up on their Facebook is homophobia.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 12:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

What? No opinions?

I composed a response this morning, Andy...and then just x'ed out of the thread without responding. It really does not seem worthwhile.

Pride in one's sexual orientation seems a bit bizarre. You are either straight, homosexual...or some mixture that falls in between.

There is no need for "pride" in where you are...it just is where you are.

The "straight pride" poster seems like the invention of someone who feels put upon by "gay pride."

I could write a short book in either direction on this issue, but as I said in the beginning, it really does not seem worthwhile.

A decade or two from now, people will look at the sexual orientation thing and wonder what the controversy was all about.

This cake is damn near baked. Everyone ought to come to grips with it...although we have to be tolerant of people who are having trouble making the shift.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sounds kind of promiscuous to me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Is it goofy and really unnecessary? You bet.

But calling attention to Gay Pride isn't?

My feelings are pretty much what Frank said.

Just be glad inside yourself who you are.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Nobody minds decent friendly nice gays; it's only the loud noisy nasty militant gays who get all gays a bad name.
Remember, God only zapped Sodom/Gomorrah because they were the loud noisy nasty militant type

Yeah...its those same types of Christians and theists who give Christianity and theism a bad name.

Know what I mean?
Wink
engineer

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Of course it is. The reason to have a "gay pride" parade is for a highly persecuted group to stand up and say to the larger society that even though you beat them, deny them basic rights, declare they are perversions and an affront to God, take away their jobs and kick them out of your homes, they are still not ashamed to say they are there. What would be the purpose of a straight pride parade? To say that even though it is completely obvious that we have all the power and advantages, we'd just like to make sure the gays know who is in charge? Yes, that is homophobic.

The sign says "If you are straight and unashamed, post this on your wall". I'd answer that with has anyone ever made you feel ashamed, viciously attacked you or your friends, yelled insults about your boy or girl friend, refused to hire you or fired you because you were straight? If so, proudly post the sign to protest. If no one has ever tried to shame you, why do you feel the need to point out that you are not ashamed.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Agreed. But the context is homophobic, added on edit, but Tsar gets that already.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:01 pm
@engineer,
Yes to that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So decent homosexuality would be approved by God, then?
Just trying to get your opinion.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:04 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The sign says "If you are straight and unashamed, post this on your wall". I'd answer that with has anyone ever made you feel ashamed, viciously attacked you or your friends, yelled insults about your boy or girl friend, refused to hire you or fired you because you were straight? If so, proudly post the sign to protest. If no one has ever tried to shame you, why do you feel the need to point out that you are not ashamed.

Damn Straight!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Nobody minds decent friendly nice gays; it's only the loud noisy nasty militant gays who get all gays a bad name.
Remember, God only zapped Sodom/Gomorrah because they were the loud noisy nasty militant type

Yeah...its those same types of Christians and theists who give Christianity and theism a bad name.

Know what I mean?
Wink

There is an opinion out there that S&Gs sin was not about sex or homosexuality, but rather pride and inhospitality. It makes much more sense to me than an entire city were 10 men couldn't be found that didn't engage in homosexual behavior.

Lot, when offering his daughters, was trying to spare his guests from harm.

As we are all aware, in the area of the world, the hospitality of taking a stranger into the home is very important. Sodom was a city of wealth, and they became so prideful they forgot the importance of their culture of being hospitable to guests and stangers.

Makes you wonder about the concept of pride of any kind, be it gay, straight, or any other kind

It's hard to be proud and gracious at the same time.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:30 pm
@chai2,
Considering other passages, it is pretty difficult to argue that the Bible (if taken literally) is not homophobic.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:50 pm
Quote:
Neologist asked me: So decent homosexuality would be approved by God, then?

No -
"Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Cor 6:9-11

That verse is interesting because it doesn't say homosexuality is any worse than anything else in the list, for example in God's eyes slanderers are just as naughty as gays.
It also indicates there were ex-gays who were now members of the early Christian church..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:57 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Nobody minds decent friendly nice gays; it's only the loud noisy nasty militant gays who get all gays a bad name.
Remember, God only zapped Sodom/Gomorrah because they were the loud noisy nasty militant type.
Frank Apisa said: Yeah...its those same types of Christians and theists who give Christianity and theism a bad name.
Know what I mean?

Relax mate they can't get under Jesus's radar-
"Not all who call me "Lord,Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. Then I'll tell them plainly, I never knew you, get away from me" (Matt 7:21-23)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Know what I mean?
Wink

There is an opinion out there that S&Gs sin was not about sex or homosexuality, but rather pride and inhospitality. It makes much more sense to me than an entire city were 10 men couldn't be found that didn't engage in homosexual behavior.

Lot, when offering his daughters, was trying to spare his guests from harm.

As we are all aware, in the area of the world, the hospitality of taking a stranger into the home is very important. Sodom was a city of wealth, and they became so prideful they forgot the importance of their culture of being hospitable to guests and stangers.

Makes you wonder about the concept of pride of any kind, be it gay, straight, or any other kind

It's hard to be proud and gracious at the same time.

I get what you are saying, Chai...and perhaps that is so.

But what Max responded is correct in spades.

The Bible is homophobic...and religion in general is also.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:33 pm
Agreed Frank.

I was only pointing out what seems to be a better explanation for the S&G story, which is pride.....and the focus of the thread.

Look where pride got them. Burned to a ******* crisp.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:45 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: The Bible is homophobic...and religion in general is also.

Look at it another way mate, God warned them not to do it because of the risk of AIDS. They ignored him and bingo!
Incidentally, Jesus never said a single word about gay/lesbians one way or the other, not a single word..Smile