maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 07:44 pm
@ehBeth,
You have never kissed in public Beth?

Spontaneous affection is one of the joys of life. I can't imagine a world where this didn't happen.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 07:59 pm
If you proclaim to be proud that you are not straight you will be cheered, you will even get a parade. If you proclaim to be proud that you are not gay you will be vilified. We refuse to practice equality though we sure do yak about it enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 08:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Try imagining it.

I have been kissed in public. One person got a black eye as a result. Others have understood my warnings more clearly.
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 08:06 pm
i'm proud that i'm not to proud to have any pride
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 08:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Try imagining it.

I have been kissed in public. One person got a black eye as a result. Others have understood my warnings more clearly.

Just to make sure I understand... neither the kiss or the black eye were consensual?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 08:35 pm
@maxdancona,
For me, at least, intimate public display of affection is annoying, not to say irritating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 08:40 pm
@maxdancona,
I warned the fellow who got the black eye that I would punch him if he proceeded. He proceeded, I punched.

We were in high school. His father was my home room teacher. His father laughed for weeks.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

EqualityFLSTPete wrote:

They just don't want to begrudge us even a day to celebrate survival, love, community and friendship.

I think you meant "They just want to begrudge us a day..."

You don't really think this is the case for all heterosexuals do you?

Not all but the conservative public yes! their action isn't that different from 'white pride' groups justifying their existence because of 'black pride' groups. The 'white pride' groups primary purpose is to argue the superiority of one race over the other, which means it is a hate group plain and simple.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Interesting.

I think I like Jautrais Andrejs better too. Not that my preference should instigate the change, but out of curiosity, do you know if you could change it without having to create a new account? I'd like to drop or replace the "dAbuzz" so I'm wondering.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't mind being kissed in public. But a black eye is a little too intimate, I would prefer to do that in private.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:41 pm
@maxdancona,
I think kissing is allowed during many events including weddings, meeting a love one at airports, bus stations, train stations, cruise ports, other public places, and welcome home from the war front.

Remember that kiss in NYC when the war with Japan was over? A replica of that is at the USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Use "Contact us" at the bottom right of the screen. Didn't work for me, but has for others.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Whether you're serious or not, I do hate it...whether the kissers are gay or straight.

Of course I don't mean an affectionate peck on the cheek or lips, I mean a passionate kiss of more than 3 seconds and possibly involving tongues.

Whenever I see overdone public displays of affection I assume the couple is either drunk, or trying too hard to convince themselves and the world they really care about each other.

When I've seen it with friends and acquaintances (Hanging all over each other, calling each other nauseating pet names, and pledging their love every ten minutes) I've predicted the relationship's demise within six months. Every time, but once, the prediction proved true and the break-up took less than 6 months.

The one exception was a couple I knew in HS who got married at age 16 because the girl got pregnant. We were acquainted by mutual friends rather than direct friendship, so I didn't see them often, but I would run into them at least three or four time a year for about ten years. The last time I saw them they had five kids and, like all the previous times, they were still all over each other, cooing about how much they loved each other and calling each other "Pootie" and "Fleeby." Where they came up with those idiotic pet names I never knew. Apparently they were the real deal, but they were still nauseating. I should try and find them on Facebook to see if they're still together and have ten kids.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:54 pm
@ehBeth,
When I cook roast pork I line the bottom of the pan with kraut and it soaks up all of the drippings turning it a rich brown and utterly delicious.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:59 pm
@maxdancona,
You are being deliberately obtuse and I suppose you also think you are being amusing.

I've already explained that the offense to be taken by your use of obscenities in referring to God, is by believers, but you got that the first time.

I also didn't come to anyone's defense in this thread, and I wasn't offended by your obscenities. I was merely pointing out that, although your blasphemy didn't bother me (How could it? I engage in it in semi-private all the time when I'm mad) it could offend a believer (and we have a number of them in this forum) as easily as the Straight Pride declaration might offend homosexuals. It just seems to me that people who are easily offended would be that much more sensitive to saying something that might offend others. I guess, though that you have to have some modicum of respect for the people who might be offended.

I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt that I didn't come to your defense when Wilso called you "fuckwit", but I didn't notice it. I have to admit, though,that if I had, I still wouldn't have said anything. You're a big boy max, you can take care of yourself.

BTW, I like "fuckwit." I may use that sometime in the future as a change from "fucknut"
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 10:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Whether you're serious or not, I do hate it...whether the kissers are gay or straight.

Of course I don't mean an affectionate peck on the cheek or lips, I mean a passionate kiss of more than 3 seconds and possibly involving tongues.

yup. I'm serious - and my tolerance cut-off is pretty dang close to yours.

there's a difference between public affection and whatever that other is all about

I probably exchanged hugs and kisses on the cheek with 40 or 50 people today. Our dance troupe performed at a huge event today and there were a lot of friends in attendance. There was public affection displayed by and for our troupe - but no tongue.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 10:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Come on Finn, you are being ridiculous.

This isn't Sunday school. This is a thread that starts with an offensive premise. Anyone who doesn't have a thick enough skin to talk about offensive topics shouldn't be here.

If you are offended by nudity, don't walk into a strip club.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 10:36 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
I think you're still over-generalizing. This "Straight Pride" nonsense is hardly sweeping the nation, or the "conservative nation."

I'm a member of the conservative public and I don't have a problem with Gay Pride days or parades, unless they involve outrageously lewd public displays and/or half-naked fat people. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation as I wouldn't like the same behavior if the paraders were straight.

On the face of it, it seems pretty silly to be proud of any sexual orientation, however I get that it's more an expression of declaring that one is not ashamed or afraid of being gay, after many years of hiding in the shadows or paying a price for making one's homosexuality known.

I guess it's understandable that having one's sexual orientation be a source of societal difficulties tends to lead to basing one's identity largely on sexual orientation, but I hope that one of the outcomes of growing societal acceptance will be a large reduction in such self-identification, and Gay Pride days will begin to seem unnecessary if not silly.

My wife's cousin happens to be a lesbian, and is one of my favorite people in the world. Politically, she's probably more conservative than me (so like it or not, there are conservatives among the LGBT "community" Cool ) and while she and her partner make no effort to hide their sexual orientation, their identities are not based on it. They don't view people and the world through a lesbian prism which I admire.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 11:41 pm
@maxdancona,
You still don't get it max.

I think too many people are too thin skinned. Everybody seems to be looking for something to be offended by, and delighted to be able to let loose with righteous indignation when they find it.

I don't find blasphemy offensive and I'm not very sympathetic to those who do, but I'm certain they are out there and I bet a few of them are members of this forum.

This thread began with a lot of similar comments declaring the silly Straight Pride poster to be clearly homophobic and offensive. Engineer wrote what apparently was thought to be the best expression of this sentiment. Certainly you agreed with it because your response was "Damned straight."

Agent Provocateur Romeo entered the scene and, as always, set out his bait, and, as always, you took it, not because you are incapable or recognizing it for what it was, or in spite of it, you find Romeo such a challenging joy to debate, but because you can’t resist a chance to make derisive comments about the Bible, a Christian concept of God, or Christians themselves.

All that is fine by me on its face. I’m not adamantly against the feeding of trolls as Setanta is (even when I agree with him on the person involved being trollish) and , personally, I’m not offended by your constant criticism of Christians and the Bible, but if you are going to be so sensitive to what might offend one group, (as demonstrated by your “Damned straight,” and comments made in numerous other threads) then sincerity dictates then you be sensitive to what might offend any group, otherwise one might conclude that you are employing your sensitivity or your taking offense merely as a platform for self-serving sanctimony.

Obviously one is unlikely to concern oneself with what a murderer or a rapist might find offensive, and so if one is not sensitive to comments that might offend a given group, it is pretty obvious one has no respect for that group, i.e. Christian believers.

And this might be fine too since you are not obligated to respect the Bible or for that matter Christians, however if there is one person in this forum who can be fully relied upon to target bigotry (or at least his perception of it) as a mortal sin of man, it is you, and if there is one person in this forum who can be fully relied upon to raise offending Muslims as a manifestation of the hated bigotry, it is also you.

Unfortunately, as previously indicated, you can also be fully relied upon to criticize and offend Christians whenever the opportunity arises (some being of your own making). Often your defense of this bigoted behavior is that you are only criticizing conservative, fundamentalist Christians, and yet you allow no similar exemption for the offending of Muslims.

You are of course, “allowed” to find conservatives, in general, unlikeable and even sinister, as well as Christian fundamentalists. You are “allowed” to defend Muslims and exaggerate the degree to which they suffer from the dread bigotry in this country.

And you are “allowed” to be a hypocrite and you are.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 11:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I think too many people are too thin skinned.

DAH, victim culture promotes this.

Quote:
You are of course, “allowed” to find conservatives, in general, unlikeable and even sinister, as well as Christian fundamentalists. You are “allowed” to defend Muslims and exaggerate the degree to which they suffer from the dread bigotry in this country.

"fantasy" would be a better term. I know many members of alleged oppressed groups ( to include women), and it is rare that I can find even one who feels that they have personally even once been oppressed.
0 Replies