What's so wrong with being Gay?

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 12:55 pm
Why are so many people homophobic? What do you have against a man loving another man or a woman loving another woman? Love is something that every person in this world feels or is capable of feeling. So what if that love happens to be directed at someone of the same gender? Big whoop.

Now I, myself am straight, but I support Gay Rights. Why? Because I was raised to be accepting of people who were different from me. Not only that, I also have homosexual relatives.

Speaking of which, I do understand that some people were raised to be intolerant of difference, but that explanation only goes so far.

Is this all merely an outward reaction to the insecurity (conscious OR subconscious) in one's own sexuality? Or is there something else to it?

Now, I'm gonna be honest here because I'm sure someone out there is gonna read this and start throwing bible passages in my face: I, not being religious, haven't taken the time to read the bible. But if you do start to throw bible passages in my face, I will verify your words. The internet is a vast encyclopedia of everything, including every version of the Holy Bible of the Christian faith. Just FYI.

So, again, will someone please explain their reasons behind their homophobia to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 13,661 • Replies: 126

Below viewing threshold (view)
RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Okay then, let me restate that: Why are so many people against homosexuality?

That better?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:15 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Saying someone who doesn't agree with homosexuality is expressing homophobia is false. Its as bad as asking someone if they have stopped beating their wife yet.

No it isn't.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Saying someone who doesn't agree with homosexuality is expressing homophobia is false.

yeah.

so I don't agree with winter.

and I don't agree with trees.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:48 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
So, again, will someone please explain their reasons behind their homophobia to me?

This isn't a loaded question?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Trees are, you know, so twiggy.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:23 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Most of the homophobic bitches allow ignorance to get in their way.
RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
@jcboy,
Good point, but then that begs the question: Why don't they bother to educate themselves, thus dissolving their ignorance?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:29 pm
Education is the last thing the homophobic wants to hear about.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:38 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

This isn't a loaded question?

Sure, that's a loaded question, but then that wasn't the statement that I was commenting upon.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Another good point, but then they just start pissing people off again. Not that I would force them to learn, as that would go against my beliefs as well as another topic of mine in this site:

http://able2know.org/topic/179599-1
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 03:44 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

Good point, but then that begs the question: Why don't they bother to educate themselves, thus dissolving their ignorance?
This could be asked of any ridiculously prejudiced mentality. And edgar answered it perfectly.
RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:47 pm
@thack45,
Yes he did. And if you read the comment right above yours, you'll see that I gave him credit for a good point.
thack45

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:58 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Fascinating. And if you read the comment right above yours... well, you get the point.
RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:08 pm
@thack45,
Alright, this is gonna go nowhere fast, so I'm just gonna say: Well played.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:11 pm
Seriously, though, other than ignorance, is there actually a logical reason why people seem to think that being gay is wrong?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:52 pm
Perhaps they fear the gay potential, deep within themselves, and are afraid their homophobic world will find out about it.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:59 pm
I will admit some gays can get so annoying you just want to bitch slap em. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 07:03 pm
@jcboy,
I might say the same about some straight guys. Mr. Green