What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Their's were (B) for Intake and (S) for Exhaust because they had already decided to use, instead of Intake or Exhaust, the words Blowing and Sucking.

It depends on which side of the fan you are standing on.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:55 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
It depends on which side of the fan you are standing on.

That's what they thought, but around here we like our Intakes to bring something into a space (chamber, cylinder, room) and our Exhausts to expel something out of a space (chamber, cylinder, room) and we leave the Sucking and Blowing for other disciplines.

Joe(No, no, Honey, blowing is just a figure of speech)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation
Director of Marketing
Western Hemisphere

My God. Those business cards should have been hand stamped in gold leaf.

Sorry, I stopped breathing for a few seconds when I read that. I will go back and finish reading your post now.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I know about crying during old house remodels. Old houses get complicated in a hurry, don't they!

Amazing, you managed to take classes -- and EAT! -- during that museum show year. One thing I've learned from being a docent: I tend to dislike museum directors intensely. Pretentious egomaniacs, the lot of them. Frankly, there is less drama working with high school students.
trishathelizardqueen

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
oh my goodness, the most complicated thing I ever did was eat raw fish. know it sounds stupid but for those as illogic like me, yes, its complicated
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:21 pm
@Eva,
1) I c o u l d n o t g e t t h e d a m n e d n a i l o u t . . .
trivial, but one of those what the hell episodes.

2) And the two bosses thing is a bad idea..

3) oh and I had a husband and home in that museum year. Thank goodness, actually, some sanity.
0 Replies

tontoiam

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:56 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

Live.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 02:58 am
@tontoiam,
Details

Some lives are more complicated than others

Joe(so I've heard)Nation
roger

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 03:02 am
@Joe Nation,
Mine follows the Marine Corps Motto: Simplerfy.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 07:52 am
Quote:

One possibility...

I once got thrown into a situation in which a Navy DIF (document interchange format) conversion (to Fortune Word) routine had to be produced out of thin air in less than two weeks which was basically impossible since Fortune Word maintained documents in the form of three binary files with complex hooks connecting them one to the others.

What I did mange to achieve with a day or so to spare was a program to convert the DIF document into the stream of octal characters which Fortune Word would expect were a human typist to type the original document by hand, and then run Fortune Word itself via unix redirection from that stream file and let it produce its own three binary files without me needing to know anything about them. A little bit slower than you might have liked but it did work.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 08:12 am
@gungasnake,
Damn. Gungasnake, way to go.

I like reading your post out loud....I don't understand a word of it...but I love that it worked.

Joe(yea!)Nation
gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 08:29 am
@Joe Nation,
When that thing was going it appeared as if I'd discovered the lazy man's way to do word processing, the documents appeared to be just typing themselves into existence. A couple of secretaries walked in once and asked me what was going on and I told them I had an invisible rabbit like Jimmy Stewart and the rabbit was practicing typing....
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 08:51 am
@gungasnake,
Too funny, man.

At the end of the day, it is all about making the technology do what we want it to do.

It's such a pleasure when we get a program to do something it's not supposed to be able to do.

Joe(and the secretaries said to themselves "Uh oh.)Nation
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 08:55 am
@Joe Nation,
Your teacher probably warned you about using, "at the end of the day".
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 10:27 am
@JTT,
My teachers warned me JT not to annoy others by picking at their minor peccadilloes and to hold my fire for the important ones.

If you do that, you see, my dear, you create a negative reception which detracts from what you say about those important ones. And that is the end of the day for your potential influence.

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 10:42 am
@spendius,
S: My teachers warned me JT not to annoy others by picking at their minor peccadilloes and to hold my fire for the important ones.
-----

That didn't take either, I see. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 10:43 am
@spendius,
Yeah, the slaughter of millions seems to have a big effect on these folks.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 10:52 am
@JTT,
So what was your answer to my question? I haven't been able to find it on this thread.

Joe(Must have missed it.)Nation
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:00 am
@Joe Nation,
You miss a lot of things, Joe. It must be your whirlwind social life.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:02 am
@JTT,
Could be, I like having fun, that's true.

But, again, what was your answer to my question?

What's the most complicated thing you ever did?

Joe( hmmm?)Nation