Are door-to-door salesmen still around in the 21st century?

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 08:21 am
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this.

Door-to-door salesmen were commonplace in the late 20th century - in the '80s and '90s - or at least when I was young. I know they were around as early as the 1950's.

I remember going door-to-door selling candy as a youngster; that was one of my first jobs.

I remember going door-to-door when I helped my dad; we were canvassing for a vacuum company. I recall helping him give out flyers for our products and I remember going into people's homes with my dad when he was pithing and doing presentations about our products to potential customers. However, I would join my dad went he went to see people and go into their appointments to see them, if he had appointments to go see them, if I remember correctly. I think that was the usual case. We might have been invited into peopl's homes if they wanted to see our products when we were canvassing but I don't recall for certain. This was back in the '90s.

I had a temp job on my own in which I went canvassing for a vacuum company with a team of people; this was years ago but this happened much more recently.

I haven't seen door-to-door salesmen around working in any people's neighborhoods, at least not where I live.

I know businesses have generally changed since the late 20th century but are door-to-door salesmen still around?

Please help - thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,074 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 09:13 am
I know e-commerce is a big thing now. That's a big reason why the retail apocalypse came about.

A lot of old-school jobs are becoming outdated because of the advent of online business and digital tech.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 09:36 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm sure they are still around, but they are in steady decline for years.

Most towns, communities, apartment buildings and neighborhoods nowadays have passed laws and ordinances that banned door-to-door sales.

I personally have never encountered a door-to-door salesman in my life.
hightor

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 09:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Less people are at home during the day, as well. Growing up in the '50s there was a parade of traveling salesmen (they were called "drummers") selling vacuum cleaners, brooms (the Fuller brush man), bibles, encyclopedias, cosmetics, and more. People were pretty trusting back then. Today if a salesman managed to find an occupied home it's doubtful the homeowner would even open the door, let alone allow him to come in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 10:34 am
@JGoldman10,
I have had a handful come by. They tend to be landscaping, painting, seal coating, pest control... more things to do with your particular home.

I typically don’t answer the door and they usually just leave behind a leaflet.

Had a couple local politicians come by asking for their vote and of course Jehovah witness.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 10:41 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I remember going door-to-door when I helped my dad; we were canvassing for a vacuum company. I recall helping him give out flyers for our products and I remember going into people's homes with my dad when he was pithing and doing presentations about our products to potential customers. However, I would join my dad when he went to see people and go into their appointments to see them, if he had appointments to go see them, if I remember correctly. I think that was the usual case. We might have been invited into people's homes if they wanted to see our products when we were canvassing but I don't recall for certain. This was back in the '90s.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 01:04 am
@Rebelofnj,
I have seen ONE door-to-door salesman some time this century. A couple of years ago a window salesman came knocking on my door and I foolishly let him in. He was trying to get me and my family to take out the windows we already had and replace them with his company's windows and was trying to con me into doing so.

There was nothing with the windows we already had.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 06:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Which is why towns and communities are banning door-to-door sales: people are being conned and people don't want solicitations at their door.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 06:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
We still have our old windows up.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:53 am
@JGoldman10,
I have one of these up in my door. Does the trick.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eUkAAOxy0NtTD0Fy/s-l400.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 08:01 am
You gotta watch out for these scammers;

https://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/media/filebrowser/c.2.1-1_girlwithdoortodoorclipboard.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 08:34 am
My neighborhood is a constant target of door to door electric company salesmen and scammers.
0 Replies