What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 03:51 pm
@Joe Nation,
The most complicated thing I ever did was to make Julia Child's French Onion soup, a Delmonico roast of beef, salt boiled and seared brussel sprouts, onion baked potato slices, and topped off with a birthday cake delivered at just the right time (by paying the delivery kid a big tip and gas money)

Lotsa details and things that had to be time coordinated.
Ive drilled deeeeep horizontal core drill holes that were easier
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:06 pm
@farmerman,
So have I fm. Lots of 'em.

With the system procedures and energy inputs of a large order of magnitude it is a bit of a stretch to claim you did it.

The President said "you didn't do that" didn't he? It was one thing he had right but his nerve failed him when people were upset.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:16 pm
@spendius,
S: I know what tonto meant. That's all there is to the sort of communication he posted.

That's not what I asked you. If that's all you can provide, that's fine.

S: What do you think it should tell me other than what it does?

You tell me. Is it natural English?

S: Is not the question mark at the end of your sentence prescriptivist. The "what" says it's a question.

Yes, of course it is prescriptive, not to mention redundant. But the prescriptivists put up with that redundancy while screaming about others.

I've never ever suggested that writing isn't full of prescriptions. Nor have I suggested we not follow them where they make sense and are not a bit of made up nonsense, like Joe Nation's latest, which quickly went from major importance, clarity and all that, to a "no biggie".

I've also mentioned numerous times how writing is an artificial aspect of language. That you don't remember these things illustrates, again, how little grasp you have of these issues.

Do we enunciate "question mark" in our speech?

S: ... and two after stops.

Yours seems to be a mishmash. Some look like two, some one. I wonder. Really. Mame thinks the same thing. Do you leave two spaces in your hand written letters? Do you? Are you sure?
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:23 pm
@spendius,
No specific connection to this post of yours, S.

Yours seems to be a mishmash. Some look like two, some one. I wonder. Really. Mame thinks the same thing. Do you leave two spaces in your hand written letters? Do you? Are you sure?

In the above, I wrote a series of sentences to see about spacing after stops. I left some ones, some two and even threes. The computer put them all back to one space, which, I'm told, computers have been doing for a long time.

I must allow that your post, S, did seem to have some two spaces.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:26 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You tell me. Is it natural English?

It was for me.

Quote:
That you don't remember these things illustrates, again, how little grasp you have of these issues.

Blimey JT--I admitted that clearly enough.

Quote:
Do we enunciate "question mark" in our speech?

Yes--very often. A raised eyebrow. A quizzical look.

Quote:
Do you leave two spaces in your hand written letters? Do you? Are you sure?

It's so long since I wrote one that I can't remember.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
Yum.
French Onion Soup is a favorite of mine.

It is complicated to get a meal on the table at the right time in the right order AND have everybody sit down to enjoy it.
Way to go on the big tip, I find that sort of thing works almost every time.

Joe(Seconds, please)Nation
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 06:59 pm
@spendius,
S: Blimey JT--I admitted that clearly enough.

I know. I just wanted to hear you say Blimey.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:06 pm
@Joe Nation,
Nice caricature. You do it? It has all the proper tweak points of a good caricature,yet its not cruel. Did you ever do this for a summer job on the boardwalk when you were in school?
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
F: Signature
Since the new I-Phone has fingerprint recognition, the thieves will now cut off my hand when they steal my phone

Boy, that oughta help your typing.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
What about yourselves? What the most complex project you've led or been involved in?

Physically- unloading a freight container where the cargo weighed 3x more than I did and I had to do it by hand, no forklift

Psychologically- accepting my sister's death

Intellectually- having to keep switching from a pc to a mac with different os' and different browsers.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:37 pm
@farmerman,
The caricature was done at a baby shower I went to on Sunday. Nice affair, lot's of fun. It's some kind of trend: the both men and women were invited. Pretty good food at Joanne's on the West Side.

I wish I could draw that well, I see all the artists in Central Park every weekend, some of them setting up as early as 6AM to get a good spot near the entrance of the zoo.
Joe(it's all happening at the zoo♫♫♫)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:43 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
Physically- unloading a freight container where the cargo weighed 3x more than I did and I had to do it by hand, no forklift
Psychologically- accepting my sister's death
Intellectually- having to keep switching from a pc to a mac with different os' and different browsers.

The body will do what it can.
The brain can be lead along to learn new things.
The mind and the heart combine to deny the horrible until your being brings them the peace of acceptance.
Those are all tough things to do.

Joe(so sorry about your sister)Nation
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:01 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer: The most complicated thing I ever did was to make Julia Child's French Onion soup,
----------

That doesn't surprise me in the least, mr academic.
trying2learn

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
For what it is worth, thank you about my sister. I do appreciate your response.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:51 am
@trying2learn,
You're welcome.

Joe(Peace. It's always possible)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 05:40 pm
@JTT,
Try and allow your sense of humor to peek out from time to time.
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 05:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I thought JTT's remark passably witty Finn.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That certaintly isn't a defence of Farmer, Finn, so what was it?
tontoiam

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:46 pm
@JTT,
Are you women fighting again.
tontoiam

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:47 pm
@tontoiam,
Shocked
0 Replies